2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:How did Andruw Jones manage 209 AB last year then? :-?



Really are you asking that question seriously?

I dont know maybe its the fact that he hit a total of 108 HRs the 3 years prior, or maybe is the fact that he had a proven track record of success in the bigs for the 10 season prior?

What about BJ's 106 saves in 199 opps in his last 3 full seasons? Doesn't that count as a track record? What about his 32 saves last year with his 2.95 ERA and 1.28 WHIP?


Are you really trying to compare a position so volatile as a closer to an everyday position player? Thought that was a bit whacky to start off.

I am not saying BJ wont EVER get a chance close again w/ the Jays or elsewhere, I am saying he wont get a chance to close again this year w/ Toronto UNLESS Downs falters.

Your point, flawed to the extreme, is saying as if after Jones has those 209 horrible ABs last year, his replacement comes in and hit 320 over a month w/ 6 HRs, Jones should get his job back cause of his contract $$ dictate it. That is the argument being made for BJ& It is so stupid its laughable.
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm

This thread is quickly becoming worthless. I know what I think about Downs and Ryan and no amount of screechy name-calling is going to change my mind. Enough already.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 2071
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Mon May 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:

Really are you asking that question seriously?

I dont know maybe its the fact that he hit a total of 108 HRs the 3 years prior, or maybe is the fact that he had a proven track record of success in the bigs for the 10 season prior?

What about BJ's 106 saves in 199 opps in his last 3 full seasons? Doesn't that count as a track record? What about his 32 saves last year with his 2.95 ERA and 1.28 WHIP?


Are you really trying to compare a position so volatile as a closer to an everyday position player? Thought that was a bit whacky to start off.

I am not saying BJ wont EVER get a chance close again w/ the Jays or elsewhere, I am saying he wont get a chance to close again this year w/ Toronto UNLESS Downs falters.

Your point, flawed to the extreme, is saying as if after Jones has those 209 horrible ABs last year, his replacement comes in and hit 320 over a month w/ 6 HRs, Jones should get his job back cause of his contract $$ dictate it. That is the argument being made for BJ& It is so stupid its laughable.

.


Calm down. Seriously, nobody cares. Drop it.
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 pm

so, back to Hawkins........updates?
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby vykeengfan » Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 pm

no thoughts on izzy being called up? i would think that he would have to be considered for the closers role w/ the struggles they're having right now.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 567
Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: so cal

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby fitz0527 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 pm

vykeengfan wrote:no thoughts on izzy being called up? i would think that he would have to be considered for the closers role w/ the struggles they're having right now.

What struggles? If you take out the 1/3 of an inning meltdown on May 13 Percy hasn't given up a run in 11 consecutive outings.
Image
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 680
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RenPastana » Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Donde esta Mariano Rivera anoche?

2 run lead, top of the 9th in Yankee Stadium - No Mo'...updates anybody?

Mo is just chilling in the bullpen as I type this...
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 606
Joined: 7 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4 - Game Log
5 - Note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
6 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.
Last edited by Maris09 on Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Bwanna » Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Maris09 wrote:Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4- Game Log....and note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
5 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.


This is helpful as well:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/29811
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5657
(Past Year: 243)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RenPastana » Mon May 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Maris09 wrote:Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4 - Game Log
5 - Note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
6 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.


Alright Smartalec...he didn't pitch yesterday and the ESPN announcers couldn't figure out why he wasn't on the mound tonight either...Bwanna...that's pretty neat stuff but I've already installed it and no luck...thanks for the help though
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 606
Joined: 7 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 1:28 hours
(and 100 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact