2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

How did Andruw Jones manage 209 AB last year then? :-?
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:45 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
I hopeThe Jays arent going to change up anything that is working. If Downs & Ryan both pitch very well from here on out, I hopeDowns will be closing the reminder of the season. Why would they mess with something that is working for a winning ballclub? Cause Bj Ryans contract says so?? I hope not.

I hopeScott Downs has this job on lock down until further notice.

fixed ;)

Seriously though, the Tigers have a history of cutting players even if it costs them money (easley, higginson and now Sheffield). The Blue jays have a history of benching or cutting players to avoid reaching AB clauses that lead to option guarantees (Thomas). Some teams don't look at contracts, which makes baseball sense, but I'm not sure that the Blue Jays are one of them.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1700
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

The Jays arent going to change up anything that is working. If Downs & Ryan both pitch very well from here on out, Downs will be closing the reminder of the season. Why would they mess with something that is working for a winning ballclub? Cause Bj Ryans contract says so?? I think not.

Scott Downs has this job on lock down until further notice.

Dude doesn't watch much baseball does he? :-?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

The Jays arent going to change up anything that is working. If Downs & Ryan both pitch very well from here on out, Downs will be closing the reminder of the season. Why would they mess with something that is working for a winning ballclub? Cause Bj Ryans contract says so?? I think not.

Scott Downs has this job on lock down until further notice.

Dude doesn't watch much baseball does he? :-?


Keep trying to be clever & cute, while Downs remains the closer.

I really cant believe that there are this many stupid baseball people in here.
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

How did Andruw Jones manage 209 AB last year then? :-?



Really are you asking that question seriously?

I dont know maybe its the fact that he hit a total of 108 HRs the 3 years prior, or maybe is the fact that he had a proven track record of success in the bigs for the 10 season prior?
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:Keep trying to be clever & cute, while Downs remains the closer.

I really cant believe that there are this many stupid baseball people in here.

For the last time....nobdoy here has YET to say Downs doesn't deserve to remain the closer.
Pay close attention...no one thinks BJ is better....or that Downs doesn't have every bit of skill neccessary to be a very very good closer.

But if you think, and it sounds like you do, that no matter what BJ isn't getting his job back, then you are greatly confused. I don't think it happens either due to various factors, but it is a distinct possibility. I have zero at stake here as I do not own either player in any league.

You're also confused if you really believe what you stated about contracts never dictating roles. There's nothing more that really needs to be said. Either you're just saying it because it sounds good for your argument....or you really believe it, in which case you're out of touch with reality. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it...but it does happen.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Keep trying to be clever & cute, while Downs remains the closer.

I really cant believe that there are this many stupid baseball people in here.

For the last time....nobdoy here has YET to say Downs doesn't deserve to remain the closer.
Pay close attention...no one thinks BJ is better....or that Downs doesn't have every bit of skill neccessary to be a very very good closer.

But if you think, and it sounds like you do, that no matter what BJ isn't getting his job back, then you are greatly confused. I don't think it happens either due to various factors, but it is a distinct possibility.

You're also confused if you really believe what you stated about contracts never dictating roles. There's nothing more that really needs to be said. Either you're just saying it because it sounds good for your argument....or you really believe it, in which case you're out of touch with reality. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it...but it does happen.


I am not saying NEVER, just as it is not ALWAYS. Nonetheless with this case Scott Downs is not losing this job to BJ Ryan or his contract, unless Downs falters. That was my point the whole time. I find it comical that some of you have the mentality that since Bj has the big contract he has role as long as he pitches decently, doesnt matter if Downs is pitching great. That is just stupidity at its finest.

If you or anyone else things Downs does not control his fate as closer of the Jays, then I am sorry but you or they are the ones out of touch.
Last edited by Slow Pitch on Mon May 18, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Slow Pitch is right on this one. There is entirely too much Ryan love, but I've been saying as much for about 2 weeks. The edited post with all the "I hopes" is ironic because if anyone is guilty of wishful thinking it's the side arguing against him. If I were a Ryan owner, I *might* keep him rostered, but I really wouldn't be holding out much hope that he'll get the job back. Even if he does have a chance to regain the role, it can't be much more than 20%, and it would have to happen in the next 3 weeks or so. If a switch doesn't happen by mid June, you can move that number down to 0%.

It seems like every year I run into similar stubbornness from people who just can't see the writing on the wall and insist instead on holding out unreasonable expectations until hindsight becomes 20/20 for them. Things change people. Unless Downs takes a step back, Ryan is done.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

How did Andruw Jones manage 209 AB last year then? :-?



Really are you asking that question seriously?

I dont know maybe its the fact that he hit a total of 108 HRs the 3 years prior, or maybe is the fact that he had a proven track record of success in the bigs for the 10 season prior?

What about BJ's 106 saves in 199 opps in his last 3 full seasons? Doesn't that count as a track record? What about his 32 saves last year with his 2.95 ERA and 1.28 WHIP?
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm

Is 106 out of 199 really that good a ratio?

I think if Ryan proves he's healthy, he can win the job back. But Downs will have to stumble a couple of consecutive times for that to happen.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 714
Joined: 4 Jun 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Shermer, Illinois

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact