2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 am

converge241 wrote:
converge241 wrote:
Queen City Spunk wrote:Sampson and not Hawkins just got the save for Houston today.


Hawkins 3 out of 4 days


In addition to the 3 of 4 days now its come out that Hawkins' hip is hurting

who is next in line for the Astros? Or is is, Who is next on line? :-b
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon May 18, 2009 9:36 am

DaShiz23 wrote:who is next in line for the Astros? Or is is, Who is next on line? :-b


well, it is hard to say. the #1 guy (valverde) is injured. if something happens to the #2 guy (hawkins) he won't be available. the #3 guy (brocail) is injured.

the best remaining guy based on last year (geary) is currently sporting an 8.10 ERA after 20 IP this year.

that leaves sampson i guess, though he is more of a multi inning guy 5th/6th/7th inning type. he's been good in relief over his short career though. he has a 2.88 career ERA as a reliever in 124.2 relief innings.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3181
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby vykeengfan » Mon May 18, 2009 9:38 am

Isringhausen just called up. Will we be seeing him in the 9th soon?
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 567
Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: so cal

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 am

Edit: Whoops...Izzy no longer on the Cardinals I see :)
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby dssguy99 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:10 am

Yahoo is quoting Hawkins as saying he has a sore hip...would Sampson be next in line? With that SP/RP, im thinking to grab him.
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 720
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am

dssguy99 wrote:Yahoo is quoting Hawkins as saying he has a sore hip...would Sampson be next in line? With that SP/RP, im thinking to grab him.


Go up 3 posts to read the answer.

Mind-readers!
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby dssguy99 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:36 am

I guess my question should have been: is hawkins hurt?!
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 720
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 am

dssguy99 wrote:I guess my question should have been: is hawkins hurt?!


I think his hip is sore because he slipped while backing up home plate. I wouldnt think it would be serious at all, but it might not be a bad idea to pick up Sampson. I would, but he's taken in all of my leagues. Having SP eligibility and possibly a save or 2 would be great.
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby silverZ » Mon May 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Hawkins said he felt like he got hit by a truck. Probably just general muscle soreness for the old guy on top of a sore hip. I guess he'll be back in a few days.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2963
(Past Year: 73)
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon May 18, 2009 3:35 pm

TheBambino wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Funny thing is for all these assumptions I am a BJ Ryan owner and a Scott Downs owner.

I just think most of those in the BJ camp have no idea what they are talking about, Downs WILL NOT lose this job if he continues to be lights out in the role. I dont care how much $$$ BJ is making. As long as Toronto is in the running this will be the case. Now if they are 20 games out, then this philosophy would change.


Sorry Bud, I disagree with you there.... Should BJ come back to form and be "consistently" pitching on par with Downs , I believe because of his contract he WILL regain the job. If you have 2 pitchers at the same skill level and demonstrating the same results .... why would you not put the one who is getting paid to be the closer, as the closer? Simple business logic to me......

Of course, some will argue that this will NEVER happen and BJ will always be throwing meatballs down the pipe.... You may be right.... and for that reason and that reason only, he wont regain the job.... not because Scott Downs is pitching well, but because BJ isnt.


You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

The Jays arent going to change up anything that is working. If Downs & Ryan both pitch very well from here on out, Downs will be closing the reminder of the season. Why would they mess with something that is working for a winning ballclub? Cause Bj Ryans contract says so?? I think not.

Scott Downs has this job on lock down until further notice.
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact