2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby TheBambino » Sun May 17, 2009 12:22 am

Slow Pitch wrote:Funny thing is for all these assumptions I am a BJ Ryan owner and a Scott Downs owner.

I just think most of those in the BJ camp have no idea what they are talking about, Downs WILL NOT lose this job if he continues to be lights out in the role. I dont care how much $$$ BJ is making. As long as Toronto is in the running this will be the case. Now if they are 20 games out, then this philosophy would change.


Sorry Bud, I disagree with you there.... Should BJ come back to form and be "consistently" pitching on par with Downs , I believe because of his contract he WILL regain the job. If you have 2 pitchers at the same skill level and demonstrating the same results .... why would you not put the one who is getting paid to be the closer, as the closer? Simple business logic to me......

Of course, some will argue that this will NEVER happen and BJ will always be throwing meatballs down the pipe.... You may be right.... and for that reason and that reason only, he wont regain the job.... not because Scott Downs is pitching well, but because BJ isnt.
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1175
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 17, 2009 1:07 am

How long's francisco out for?
Image
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1704
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby urbanbreez » Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:How long's francisco out for?


and who is his backup? CJ Wilson?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RRGL1 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:40 am

urbanbreez wrote:and who is his backup? CJ Wilson?


CJ got the save today and yesterday so I'd say he's the fill-in
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 536
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RedHopeful » Sun May 17, 2009 3:15 am

Pretty sure Francisco will be off the DL this coming Friday so it sounds like Wilson owners have roughly another week.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby mweir145 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:34 am

Yeah...I'm a Downs owner, and I think BJ will get the job back eventually if he proves he can be an effective pitcher again. His contract (and to a lesser extent, his ego) plays a role in this.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby AdvRider » Sun May 17, 2009 11:50 am

kemper5 wrote:Oakland is one of those teams right now where 1 of a few players could take the closer role and run. My guess is either Baily,Ziegler or Weurtz will nail it down.


Either nail it down, or it's the dreaded closer-by-committee, now with Casilla in the mix. Some insight from the SF Chronicle ...

A's Beat: Casilla returns; more closer news
http://www.sfgate.com
Saturday, May 16, 2009

The A's bullpen, already the team's best unit, got even better Friday with the return of right-hander Santiago Casilla from the disabled list.

Oakland's relievers have a 2.75 ERA, and opponents are batting .209 against them - both major-league lows. This despite co-closer Joey Devine being lost for the season with an elbow injury, Brad Ziegler's lengthy illness and the rotation's inability to go deep into games, which normally stretches a bullpen.

Ziegler was considered the co-closer with Devine, but he is not, apparently, the solo closer following Devine's Tommy John surgery. Manager Bob Geren has spoken about having rookie Andrew Bailey close, and when asked if Ziegler is the closer, Geren said he feels the situation is back the way it was before Devine's injury.

That means no solo closer, and Geren added, "I've never really named a closer, I still haven't, nor will I. ... Obviously, I really like the job Bailey is doing."

Casilla has a 1.46 ERA after a scoreless inning Friday and hitters are batting .095 against him. Like Bailey, Ziegler and Michael Wuertz, he could get some save opportunities
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 652
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 49 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby duckbillgates » Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm

It would be nice if there were some save opportunities in Oakland to help clear this up. Casilla enters in the third after Cahill is chased. Don't think he's in the mix any time soon.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1216
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: under a dead Ohio sky

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby djack909 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:07 pm

The first place team in my league dropped Aardsma for Bailey this AM.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 712
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Magnus_CA » Sun May 17, 2009 3:19 pm

djack909 wrote:The first place team in my league dropped Aardsma for Bailey this AM.


This changes EVERYTHING. ;-7
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2081
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kab21 and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Sep. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Houston
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact