2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat May 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Frank Francisco to DL?
From Yahoo!
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP)—Frank Francisco(notes) is not ready to return to the closer’s role for the Texas Rangers, and he could be put on the disabled list.

Francisco hasn’t pitched since May 6 because of right biceps tendinitis. He threw a 15-minute bullpen session Saturday and said he didn’t feel any pain, but also didn’t feel sharp.

The right-hander doesn’t expect to pitch this weekend against the Los Angeles Angels, instead throwing another bullpen session on Monday.

If Texas put Francisco on the disabled list by Sunday, the move could be retroactive.

Francisco has made 25 consecutive scoreless appearances, 14 this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rangers-francisco&prov=ap&type=lgns
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtxdevil » Sat May 16, 2009 5:22 pm

He's on the dl.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kemper5 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Oakland is one of those teams right now where 1 of a few players could take the closer role and run. My guess is either Baily,Ziegler or Weurtz will nail it down.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackie hayes » Sat May 16, 2009 7:11 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:I'd be surprised if they made the switch from Gregg to Marmol tomorrow. We'll see. Naturally they wouldn't let a closer finish that inning, whether it was Mariano Rivera or anyone else. That aspect has no bearing on the situation. The fact that he stunk up the joint before he was taken out, certainly matters. I think he leash is long, though maybe it shouldn't be.

You're right, in that situation (2 hrs consecutively), they might pull Rivera. When I posted, I had only seen that he had given up 2 runs, then been pulled for Heilman, who gave up the single. Usually, a closer is going to get the chance to work through his jams (until he actually blows the lead). But looking at the pbp, he was probably awful enough to make an exception.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby mac-unit » Sat May 16, 2009 7:16 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:I'd be surprised if they made the switch from Gregg to Marmol tomorrow. We'll see. Naturally they wouldn't let a closer finish that inning, whether it was Mariano Rivera or anyone else. That aspect has no bearing on the situation. The fact that he stunk up the joint before he was taken out, certainly matters. I think he leash is long, though maybe it shouldn't be.

You're right, in that situation (2 hrs consecutively), they might pull Rivera.

Rivera was pulled when he allowed back-to-back HRs. Any closer would be pulled unless the manager is just clueless.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby dssguy99 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:35 pm

No Percy in the 9th in a save situation?????
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jackie hayes » Sat May 16, 2009 7:49 pm

mac-unit wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:

You're right, in that situation (2 hrs consecutively), they might pull Rivera.

Rivera was pulled when he allowed back-to-back HRs. Any closer would be pulled unless the manager is just clueless.

Eh, sort of. He did get one batter after the hrs, and it was a different situation (came in with the game tied). I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but closers are seen as having the job: Protect The Lead. If he had come in with a 3-run lead and given up two solo shots, I'm not so sure he'd have been pulled. Even Gregg was left in for 3 hitters after the homers.

All I was saying is that it's surprising to see a closer pulled with a 2-run lead. Usually, they get the chance to work out of their own jams. They don't usually give way to the Heilmans of the world. But sure, there are exceptions to everything, and from the pbp (I wasn't watching the game) it looks like Gregg was indeed exceptionally awful.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby NZ Eff » Sat May 16, 2009 7:55 pm

dssguy99 wrote:No Percy in the 9th in a save situation?????

No and so it's very apparent he is no longer the closer in Tampa.
Grab Wheeler quickly if he's available in your league. I personally think he's the guy now but wasn't used today as he's gone 3 of the past 4 days.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby racrzeke » Sat May 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Troy Percival was given the night off after he was used in a high-scoring affair Friday night.
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Handsome One » Sat May 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Gregg received the dreaded vote of confidence from Pinella following today's meltdown.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

"'It's not bad, and he'll be available [Sunday],' Piniella said. 'If we get in a close situation, he'll be out there again.'"
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers