2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat May 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Isringhausen is one year removed from 2.48/1.07 with 32 saves out of 34 opps, but he hasn't even been given a shot to close at AA or AAA yet. He's five years younger than Percy and he put up better number's last year than Percy's putting up this year. If his tendon is healed, then why not give him a shot?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm

is ziegler still the closer in OAK?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Isringhausen is one year removed from 2.48/1.07 with 32 saves out of 34 opps, but he hasn't even been given a shot to close at AA or AAA yet. He's five years younger than Percy and he put up better number's last year than Percy's putting up this year. If his tendon is healed, then why not give him a shot?

I wouldn't really put too much stock into closing or not. THe question for Isringhausen isn't whether he can 'handle the pressure' of the ninth, but merely can he pitch. If he can pitch, then he could probably close again. If not probably not. I'd imagine they are trying to pitch him against the best hitters to better gauge that (but I could be wrong).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby duckbillgates » Sat May 16, 2009 3:26 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:is ziegler still the closer in OAK?

I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise. The last save opportunity went to Bailey, but it was a two-inning save, and that doesn't point to a change in role to me.

The real problem in Oakland is that there haven't been enough save opps to provide a clear picture of the bullpen roles.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Downs is the guy in Toronto until further notice. Are there circumstances that could unfold whereby BJ could reclaim the role? Sure, but at this point, I think Downs's hold on the job is as safe as any closer in the MLB. I don't have any inside info, but I called that BJ wouldn't return to the closer's job 3 days before the announcement was made officially stating as much. While I don't condone the insults that are being thrown back and forth, or the smugness of the Downs owners in this thread, it's hard to argue that there isn't some unreasonable wishful thinking from the Ryan camp. By hook or by crook, I just don't see Downs relinquishing this job anytime soon, so BJ owners have extremely limited warrant for optimism.

Downs >>>>> Ryan
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby fitz0527 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Gregg giving up 4 hits, 2 homers and 4 runs without recording an out. Marmol struck out the side.
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat May 16, 2009 4:23 pm

fitz0527 wrote:Gregg giving up 4 hits, 2 homers and 4 runs without recording an out. Marmol struck out the side.

*In the 8th inning. Gregg gave up 2 HR, then two base hits, then walked a guy all without recording an out. Heilman got the last 3 outs but not before he gave up a game tying 2 run RBI that was credited to Gregg.

Here's to hoping Marmol takes the closer's spot! God (Lou) knows I need him. :-o

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby jackie hayes » Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
fitz0527 wrote:Gregg giving up 4 hits, 2 homers and 4 runs without recording an out. Marmol struck out the side.

*In the 8th inning. Gregg gave up 2 HR, then two base hits, then walked a guy all without recording an out. Heilman got the last 3 outs but not before he gave up a game tying 2 run RBI that was credited to Gregg.

Here's to hoping Marmol takes the closer's spot! God (Lou) knows I need him. :-o

Since they didn't let Gregg finish the inning, I imagine whatever trust they had in Gregg is just about shot.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 4:42 pm

I'd be surprised if they made the switch from Gregg to Marmol tomorrow. We'll see. Naturally they wouldn't let a closer finish that inning, whether it was Mariano Rivera or anyone else. That aspect has no bearing on the situation. The fact that he stunk up the joint before he was taken out, certainly matters. I think he leash is long, though maybe it shouldn't be.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Sat May 16, 2009 4:44 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
Since they didn't let Gregg finish the inning, I imagine whatever trust they had in Gregg is just about shot.

Of course Gregg didn't finish the innings. He was thowing BP out there today.

Having said that he has been lights out in May up until this outing and it wasn't a save situation so he will be in as closer tomorrow. Gregg seems to be a guy that thrives on plenty of work and he had only pitched once in the past 6 days so maybe he wasn't as sharp as he has been this month for that reason.

Today was brutal though, his ERA went from 3.86 to 6.06 within 16 pitches !+)
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers