2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 11:26 am

my hanrahan post got lost in the shuffle...

Havok1517 wrote:May 13, 2009
According to MLB.com, Joel Hanrahan is getting another shot at closing games.

Our View:The Nationals' bullpen has been awful and Manny Acta has gone back to the drawing board. Hanrahan has pitched well lately, but still has a bloated 6.28 ERA. Still he fans better than a batter per inning, and if Acta keeps his promise Hanrahan instantly has value once again.

Manager Manny Acta said it was time to "go back to square one" with the Nats' closing situation, the Washington Times reports. "Square one means that Hanrahan can get a chance again to maybe close ballgames," Acta said. "Because we have tried just about every one of those guys. And at the end of the game, you usually need a guy who can strike guys out. He's got more strikeouts than innings. He's had a few good outings. He hasn't walked a guy in, I think, his last five or six innings. Give him an opportunity, because we need a guy back there that can come in and make people swing and miss. But that's not etched in stone. It's still going to be Wells, Beimel and Hanrahan, too, for the ninth."
Recommendation: It sounds like Hanrahan's stuff is enough for him to get some more chances to close, but you know things are in flux when someone like Kip Wells remains in the mix.
(Rotowire.com)

This is still the latest official news, but tonight's game appears to have helped Hanrahan quite a bit. He pitched 2 shutout innings (9th and 10th), 1 BB, 1 H, 3 Ks, while Beimel gave up 3 runs and Wells gave up 4 runs. Hanrahan has allowed 2 runs in his last 9 IP (9 appearances). Over those 9 IP, he has 10Ks and 1BB, although he has allowed 13 hits. And as bad as he has been he has let in more than 1 ER only twice so far this year.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Sat May 16, 2009 11:27 am

drtodddds wrote:Hey here some questions that actually DON'T involve BJ Ryan. Reading these threads I nearly forgot that there were other teams in MLB other than Toronto. :-D

1. Is Hanrahan worth picking up? He's a free agent in our league.
2. Do I pick up Ryan Madson? Lidge looks horrible.
3. Do I pick up anyone for insurance for Percival? Not sure how solid his hold is on the closer's role.
Thanks for the advice.

1) Depends
2) Depends
3) Probably not

You've gotta provide much more detail...your team, guys on the wire, etc. And this is not the place to do that. Take it outside to the appropriate forum so this one doesnt get cluttered please :)
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby drtodddds » Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 am

Crippler wrote:
drtodddds wrote:Hey here some questions that actually DON'T involve BJ Ryan. Reading these threads I nearly forgot that there were other teams in MLB other than Toronto. :-D

3. Do I pick up anyone for insurance for Percival? Not sure how solid his hold is on the closer's role.
Thanks for the advice.

1) Depends
2) Depends
3) Probably not

You've gotta provide much more detail...your team, guys on the wire, etc. And this is not the place to do that. Take it outside to the appropriate forum so this one doesnt get cluttered please :)

Ok let me give you more info on my team... 5x5 10 team roto keeper league. I don't need holds. As this is a closers thread, my questions are appropriate for identifying CLOSERS and potential CLOSERS, so honestly why does it matter what my team looks like. What more detail would you need that would change your response??? These questions above, imho, aren't appropriate for the waiver forum. They address closer situations in flux, and this is the place to get the best response. And I do thank everyone for all the feedback, but in response to the above, this is the appropriate forum, unless we want to rename it the BJ Ryan forum.

EDIT..ok after rereading my post, perhaps the questions should be reworded to fit the forum..
1. Is Hanrahan now the designated closer?
2. Is Madson going to take over the roll from Lidge?
3. Is Percival the closer still? If not who?
drtodddds
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 pm

1) Not officially yet, but I think he is/will be within a week.
2) No, but Lidge could be injured or soon become "injured"
3) Yes, I believe so. I wouldn't try to guess the backup in TB. I think it'd be Wheeler first, but you have Howell there as well as possibly Isringhausen.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Crippler » Sat May 16, 2009 1:09 pm

drtodddds wrote:
Crippler wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

1) Depends
2) Depends
3) Probably not

Ok let me give you more info on my team... 5x5 10 team roto keeper league. I don't need holds. As this is a closers thread, my questions are appropriate for identifying CLOSERS and potential CLOSERS, so honestly why does it matter what my team looks like. What more detail would you need that would change your response??? These questions above, imho, aren't appropriate for the waiver forum. They address closer situations in flux, and this is the place to get the best response. And I do thank everyone for all the feedback, but in response to the above, this is the appropriate forum, unless we want to rename it the BJ Ryan forum.

EDIT..ok after rereading my post, perhaps the questions should be reworded to fit the forum..
1. Is Hanrahan now the designated closer?
2. Is Madson going to take over the roll from Lidge?
3. Is Percival the closer still? If not who?

No. This forum was not created to help you with your personal fantasy team. It's for closer news. Nobody cares about your personal team, sorry to break it to you. Thanks for clogging up the thread because you couldnt think for yourself and manage your own team.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Crippler wrote:No. This forum was not created to help you with your personal fantasy team. It's for closer news. Nobody cares about your personal team, sorry to break it to you. Thanks for clogging up the thread because you couldnt think for yourself and manage your own team.

:-? His original post was pretty much on topic. He only mentioned that Hanrahan is a FA in his league. Not a particularly big foul there.

You asked him for his league info, and he pretty much avoided that question, devoting one line to his league format, then saying it doesn't really matter and he is only concerned about those 3 players' closer status. Then you slammed him for saying too much about his league, when it is obvious his posts are concerned only about closer status, not his specific team!!!

:-t :-t :-t
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Can we settle down and just keep things on topic? The last thing we need is 5 more pages of stupid arguing.

I'd really like more insight into the Tampa Bay situation, if there is one.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Can we settle down and just keep things on topic? The last thing we need is 5 more pages of stupid arguing.

IMO Howell is the closer in waiting.
Mega-groundballs, sweet K rate, decent control.

I think Percival is nearly finished.
Last year he was really really lucky to even get the ERA that he got. His FB% was through the roof as well.

Wheeler gives up too many HRs to be the closer. Fact.

Balfour is struggling not to turn back into the no-control garbage he always used to be. I can't see a sane manager relying on him long-term.

It will be interesting to see what Isringhausen has left, but I'm willing to bet the answer is: Not much.

I thought it was really cool that Friedman created a bullpen stuck together with sticky tape and chewing gum last year that got Tampa to the World Series, I think it might be time for him to reach into the garbage bin again and see what he gets. ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby NZ Eff » Sat May 16, 2009 1:54 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Percival pitched in the 7th yesterday after getting bombed in his last outing. The Tribe 1-2-3-4 are all lefties and Percival has been getting absolutely torched by lefties all season. Maybe Maddon was simply getting an inning of work into Troy in a good situation for him (ie. Garko, La Porta and Carroll) or maybe it's Wheeler time who clearly would have closed yesterday if the Rays had scored one more in the 8th.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 16, 2009 2:02 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Percival pitched in the 7th yesterday after getting bombed in his last outing. The Tribe 1-2-3-4 are all lefties and Percival has been getting absolutely torched by lefties all season. Maybe Maddon was simply getting an inning of work into Troy in a good situation for him (ie. Garko, La Porta and Carroll) or maybe it's Wheeler time who clearly would have closed yesterday if the Rays had scored one more in the 8th.

I like this. I agree that Wheeler would probably get the first shot to close if it's not Percival. If he doesn't pan out, then it's anybody's guess between Howell and Balfour.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers