2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat May 16, 2009 9:26 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Crippler wrote:B.J. Ryan should be removed from the closer role on the front page. It's Downs' job to lose now.

If BJ pitches well the next couple of weeks he'll be back closing games, no matter how Downs is pitchin' IMO.

Well then you must have a very low baseball IQ.

If Downs goes 7/7 gives up 0-1 ERs, you really believe they would remove him for the role? Right, keep holding our hope BJ owner.

:-b
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:56 am

Slow Pitch wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Crippler wrote:B.J. Ryan should be removed from the closer role on the front page. It's Downs' job to lose now.

If BJ pitches well the next couple of weeks he'll be back closing games, no matter how Downs is pitchin' IMO.

If Downs goes 7/7 gives up 0-1 ERs, you really believe they would remove him for the role? Right, keep holding our hope BJ owner.

that's the kind of logic that says marmol should be closing over gregg. but as ive learned, logic goes out the window with closers and managers. i own neither downs or ryans but i think if ryans can get people out, his salary will have him closing again.

but then again, it doenst really matter what i think. i would hold onto both and hope its not a CBC.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:20 am

Slow Pitch wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

No need for name calling, he thinks that the decision on who is closer will be based on money *not* baseball. Should it? Of course not, baseball decisions should have to do with the skill of players. However, as a Downs owner (and not a Ryan owner), I am afraid that Ricciardi will pressure Gaston into returning Ryan to the closer role if he seems to be pitching well enough (even if it isn't better than Downs).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Maris09 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 am

Slow Pitch wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:

My god, does everyone have to be a BJ Ryan/Scott Downs owner to give their opinion on the situation?

-It's obvious Downs has been great.
-It's obvious that BJ has been putrid.
-It's been said by management (take that for what it's worth with the Blue Jays) that IF Ryan pitches well, he will get another shot.
So before you tell me to stop holding out hope for a player I've never owned in 10 years of fantasy baseball, you can put me in the camp who feels Downs is great, BJ is doo doo, but that if he shows he can regain his form by some miracle, then he will be in line for Saves. Period.

It's not like Downs isn't useful in the 7th and 8th innings. So don't kid yourself in thinking he'll never be used there again.
Last edited by Maris09 on Sat May 16, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TheBambino » Sat May 16, 2009 10:35 am

Maris09 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:If BJ pitches well the next couple of weeks he'll be back closing games, no matter how Downs is pitchin' IMO.

My god, does everyone have to be a BJ Ryan/Scott Downs owner to give their opinion on the situation?

-It's obvious Downs has been great.
-It's obvious that BJ has been putrid.
-It's been said by management (take that for what it's worth with the Blue Jays) that IF Ryan pitches well, he will get another shot.
So before you tell me to stop holding out hope for a player I've never owned in 10 years of fantasy baseball, you can put me in the camp who feels Downs is great, BJ is doo doo, but that if he shows he can regain his form by some miracle, then he will be in line for Saves. Period.

It's not like Downs isn't useful in the 7th and 8th innings. So don't kid yourself that he may be used there again.

i Agree.. I have lived in Toronto and been a fan for many years... BJ is the man here should he be able to get back to form. Downs in a setup role with a Pre-surgery Ryan as a closer is a pretty dominant bullpen if you ask me. I am an owner of Both Downs and Ryan, so Im not trying to push either one... everything will depend on how Ryan can pitch... and this wont be a 2 week trial either... hes going to really have to show consistency before he gets put back in that role (which im not personally sure he can do!)
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:39 am

TheBambino wrote:i Agree.. I have lived in Toronto and been a fan for many years... BJ is the man here should he be able to get back to form. Downs in a setup role with a Pre-surgery Ryan as a closer is a pretty dominant bullpen if you ask me. I am an owner of Both Downs and Ryan, so Im not trying to push either one... everything will depend on how Ryan can pitch... and this wont be a 2 week trial either... hes going to really have to show consistency before he gets put back in that role (which im not personally sure he can do!)

Unbiased and correct sir. :-D

It's hilarious how the people who are accusing everybody who doesn't share their opinion of being BJ Ryan owners....are most likely Scott Downs owners doing the exact same thing. Objectivity people. It's the only way to go :-b
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat May 16, 2009 11:01 am

Funny thing is for all these assumptions I am a BJ Ryan owner and a Scott Downs owner.

I just think most of those in the BJ camp have no idea what they are talking about, Downs WILL NOT lose this job if he continues to be lights out in the role. I dont care how much $$$ BJ is making. As long as Toronto is in the running this will be the case. Now if they are 20 games out, then this philosophy would change.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 11:12 am

Slow Pitch wrote:Now if they are 20 games out, then this philosophy would change.

I doubt they finish 20 games out. 10-15 games out is more likely, but it will take a while to get there.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby drtodddds » Sat May 16, 2009 11:22 am

Hey here some questions that actually DON'T involve BJ Ryan. Reading these threads I nearly forgot that there were other teams in MLB other than Toronto. :-D

1. Is Hanrahan worth picking up? He's a free agent in our league.
2. Do I pick up Ryan Madson? Lidge looks horrible.
3. Do I pick up anyone for insurance for Percival? Not sure how solid his hold is on the closer's role.
Thanks for the advice.
drtodddds
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:25 am

drtodddds wrote:Hey here some questions that actually DON'T involve BJ Ryan. Reading these threads I nearly forgot that there were other teams in MLB other than Toronto. :-D

1. Is Hanrahan worth picking up? He's a free agent in our league.
2. Do I pick up Ryan Madson? Lidge looks horrible.
3. Do I pick up anyone for insurance for Percival? Not sure how solid his hold is on the closer's role.
Thanks for the advice.

Hanrahan is worth it in a league where you are DESPERATE for saves... i would only do this if I knew that I needed every single save to avoid dropping 3+ points. So it really depends on your league.
On Madson, I have him in my 16 team league, so if you are going to carry a MR you might as well have one like him who could end up closing...
On Percival, if you want to back him up I think Wheeler is the guy...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers