2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Fri May 15, 2009 10:26 pm

dssguy99 wrote:Why is Percival in in the 7th?!

exactly what i'm thinking. Anyone got any news?
Beautiful, Beautiful Family Guy

Lois: You're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking.
Bravos of Steel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 18 and 1 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:32 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
brock middlebrook wrote:BJ Ryan in in the 9th with a 5 run lead....

Is he going to slide back into the closers role?

If he proves he can pitch very effectively, he will definitely get his job back. He doesn't need to outpitch Downs either. He just needs to be effective.

If that makes you feel better go ahead and believe that if you must. He pitched in the 9th because it wasn't a save situation. Downs is still the closer.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri May 15, 2009 11:35 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:

If he proves he can pitch very effectively, he will definitely get his job back. He doesn't need to outpitch Downs either. He just needs to be effective.

Ok...are you some authority on the situation? Do you work in the Blue Jays front office?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby High and Inside » Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:

Ok...are you some authority on the situation? Do you work in the Blue Jays front office?

I think it's been well documented over the last few days that this is not Ryan's job...he'd have to "win" it back and the way Downs is rolling along my money is on Downs being the closer for the time being.
High and Inside
College Coach
College Coach

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 12:30 am

hey everybody, if you don't work in the blue jays front office, don't post here! hah!

on a serious note, all you downs owners, stop panicking. downs very well might keep the job, because BJ very well might never be the same. but it is the opinion of more than one non-blue jay employee that if BJ does pitch like he has in the past, the jays are going to put him back in the position for which they are paying him to play. we'll see. i don't have a crystal ball. i thought greinke would regress this year.

now all you downs owners can cry about this post as well.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat May 16, 2009 12:39 am

BJ aint going to be pitching like he did in the past. sorry to burst your bubble. ;-)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby 18 and 1 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:41 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:hey everybody, if you don't work in the blue jays front office, don't post here! hah!

on a serious note, all you downs owners, stop panicking. downs very well might keep the job, because BJ very well might never be the same. but it is the opinion of more than one non-blue jay employee that if BJ does pitch like he has in the past, the jays are going to put him back in the position for which they are paying him to play. we'll see. i don't have a crystal ball. i thought greinke would regress this year.

now all you downs owners can cry about this post as well.

I don't think Downs owners are crying about anything, but I do think that Ryan owners are still clinging to those millions he's earning as their hope to justify his existence ;)
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 am

Havok1517 wrote:May 13, 2009
According to MLB.com, Joel Hanrahan is getting another shot at closing games.

Our View:The Nationals' bullpen has been awful and Manny Acta has gone back to the drawing board. Hanrahan has pitched well lately, but still has a bloated 6.28 ERA. Still he fans better than a batter per inning, and if Acta keeps his promise Hanrahan instantly has value once again.

Manager Manny Acta said it was time to "go back to square one" with the Nats' closing situation, the Washington Times reports. "Square one means that Hanrahan can get a chance again to maybe close ballgames," Acta said. "Because we have tried just about every one of those guys. And at the end of the game, you usually need a guy who can strike guys out. He's got more strikeouts than innings. He's had a few good outings. He hasn't walked a guy in, I think, his last five or six innings. Give him an opportunity, because we need a guy back there that can come in and make people swing and miss. But that's not etched in stone. It's still going to be Wells, Beimel and Hanrahan, too, for the ninth."
Recommendation: It sounds like Hanrahan's stuff is enough for him to get some more chances to close, but you know things are in flux when someone like Kip Wells remains in the mix.
(Rotowire.com)

This is still the latest official news, but tonight's game appears to have helped Hanrahan quite a bit. He pitched 2 shutout innings (9th and 10th), 1 BB, 1 H, 3 Ks, while Beimel gave up 3 runs and Wells gave up 4 runs. Hanrahan has allowed 2 runs in his last 9 IP (9 appearances). Over those 9 IP, he has 10Ks and 1BB, although he has allowed 13 hits. And as bad as he has been he has let in more than 1 ER only twice so far this year.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 16, 2009 12:48 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:BJ aint going to be pitching like he did in the past. sorry to burst your bubble. ;-)

I have no stake in it. Don't own Downs. Don't own Ryan. None of my serious competitors in the leagues I really care about do either. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I am just saying all you people that think there is no way Downs loses the job unless he completely blows up, you are nuts. It is totally dependent on Ryan, and I doubt he pitches like he did in the past too, but if he comes anywhere near that past ability, it won't matter if Downs is in the middle of a pretty nice run.

Again, for the record, I do not work in the Blue Jays' front office. I know some of you are under the impression that I do.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 18 and 1 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:BJ aint going to be pitching like he did in the past. sorry to burst your bubble. ;-)

I have no stake in it. Don't own Downs. Don't own Ryan. None of my serious competitors in the leagues I really care about do either. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I am just saying all you people that think there is no way Downs loses the job unless he completely blows up, you are nuts. It is totally dependent on Ryan, and I doubt he pitches like he did in the past too, but if he comes anywhere near that past ability, it won't matter if Downs is in the middle of a pretty nice run.

Again, for the record, I do not work in the Blue Jays' front office. I know some of you are under the impression that I do.

Again, for the record, no one thinks you work for the Jays' front office, puleese, that's embarrassing. Obviously we're not going to change your mind about this situation, so let's just close by saying Downs is the man right now, so deal with it. Also, please stop crying for Ryan for crying out loud. That's also embarrassing.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers