2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 pm

ABA316 wrote:If you must (and I must being last in saves)..I added Wells dropping Beimel.

Beimel came out to start the 8th and ended up giving up a run, not even finishing the inning. Wells ended up going more than 1 inning (1.1 or 1.2 I forget) for the save.

Figured I could get something out of Beimel but not happening..I could suck up the ERA hit if I was at least getting the save here and there but gonna take a flier on Wells till that changes (in other words 3 days I bet haha).

May 13, 2009
According to MLB.com, Joel Hanrahan is getting another shot at closing games.

Our View:The Nationals' bullpen has been awful and Manny Acta has gone back to the drawing board. Hanrahan has pitched well lately, but still has a bloated 6.28 ERA. Still he fans better than a batter per inning, and if Acta keeps his promise Hanrahan instantly has value once again.

Manager Manny Acta said it was time to "go back to square one" with the Nats' closing situation, the Washington Times reports. "Square one means that Hanrahan can get a chance again to maybe close ballgames," Acta said. "Because we have tried just about every one of those guys. And at the end of the game, you usually need a guy who can strike guys out. He's got more strikeouts than innings. He's had a few good outings. He hasn't walked a guy in, I think, his last five or six innings. Give him an opportunity, because we need a guy back there that can come in and make people swing and miss. But that's not etched in stone. It's still going to be Wells, Beimel and Hanrahan, too, for the ninth."
Recommendation: It sounds like Hanrahan's stuff is enough for him to get some more chances to close, but you know things are in flux when someone like Kip Wells remains in the mix.
(Rotowire.com)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby racrzeke » Wed May 13, 2009 11:54 pm

Brandon Morrow just rusty? His first save back was a bit sloppy and now he has this one versus Texas
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bwanna » Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 am

AussieDodger wrote:Annnnnd.......... Yahoo has the run he allowed being unearned.

;-D ;-D ;-D

We have Michael Young in large part to thank for that... it was his throwing error that caused the run to be unearned, then he was the tying run on Blalock's walk-off double. ;D

C.J. did make it exciting though, and I hope the Ranger bloggers are correct about Franky coming back on Friday... :-o
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Postby AdvRider » Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Any fresh intel on Ziegler? This business about two weeks to recover from a flu seems just weird. I'm wondering if Bailey is poised to step into the closer's role, despite Ziegler having been effective before being stricken by the flu. :-?

May 10 (Rotowire) Ziegler estimates that it will be another two weeks before he's back feeling 100 percent after a recent bout of the flu and an asthma attack, the team's web site reports.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 pm

AdvRider wrote:Any fresh intel on Ziegler? This business about two weeks to recover from a flu seems just weird. I'm wondering if Bailey is poised to step into the closer's role, despite Ziegler having been effective before being stricken by the flu. :-?

May 10 (Rotowire) Ziegler estimates that it will be another two weeks before he's back feeling 100 percent after a recent bout of the flu and an asthma attack, the team's web site reports.

H1N1? O:-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby foeplay » Thu May 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Frank Francisco played catch for seven minutes Thursday and didn't have any problems. Pitching coach Mike Maddux said the Rangers would push things Friday, but didn't say for sure that Francisco would throw a bullpen. Manager Ron Washington hopes Francisco is available Saturday.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ChasingSaves » Thu May 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Brandon Morrow back to back blown saves. As an Aardsma owner I hope this gets interesting.
ChasingSaves
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu May 14, 2009 6:14 pm

is something wrong with morrow? why is he pitching like crap the last 2 days?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby foeplay » Thu May 14, 2009 6:44 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:is something wrong with morrow? why is he pitching like crap the last 2 days?

Because Texas offense is good?
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Millhouse » Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Broxton proves he's mortal today, blows Billingsley's win vs. PHI.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers