2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby chargerss24 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Nails86 wrote:Am I missing something here?

"Wilson is the closer now."

I thought Frankie was just out a few days..... Not saying Wilson is a bad speculative pick up, but he's certainly not the closer.

It's always better to jump the gun and pick these guys up ASAP. Because if word comes out and a set up guy is named the closer, well, by the time you read that, it's going to be too late.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nails86 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:53 pm

I completely agree. I just didn't know if there was an announcement that Wilson "was now the closer" as the previous poster had said. Thanks for the clarification.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Maris09 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:10 pm

chargerss24 wrote:
Nails86 wrote:Am I missing something here?

"Wilson is the closer now."

I thought Frankie was just out a few days..... Not saying Wilson is a bad speculative pick up, but he's certainly not the closer.

It's always better to jump the gun and pick these guys up ASAP. Because if word comes out and a set up guy is named the closer, well, by the time you read that, it's going to be too late.

I hear what you're saying, but it still really depends.
I'm in a pretty competitive 14 team Cafe league, and no one has picked up Wilson.
With a season moves limit (50) you just can't go grabbing any guy who may not have value longterm. I guess most are thinking that he probably won't have the job for more than a few days, and even if it turns out to be longer, that Wilson's going to be someone who hurts more than he helps, as in years past.
Though if it turns out to be more serious for Francisco surely someone will grab Wilson.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Nationals Situation: Who is the better pickup at this point? Wells or Hanrahan?

Beimel hasn't looked good at all since returning from the DL, so I'm guessing he may be out of the mix. Tavarez isn't being used at all lately. Wells got the save today, but hasn't looked great over his last few outings. Can't say much about Hanrahan.

Who is the best bet to take the job now? Or should the situation be avoided all together?
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed May 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:Nationals Situation: Who is the better pickup at this point? Wells or Hanrahan?

Beimel hasn't looked good at all since returning from the DL, so I'm guessing he may be out of the mix. Tavarez isn't being used at all lately. Wells got the save today, but hasn't looked great over his last few outings. Can't say much about Hanrahan.

Who is the best bet to take the job now? Or should the situation be avoided all together?

probably avoided. if anything hold onto Hanrahan and wait it and see with him on the bench. Wells just isn't going to be good enough to hold down the job, and he'll hurt you elsewhere.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:42 pm

If you must (and I must being last in saves)..I added Wells dropping Beimel.

Beimel came out to start the 8th and ended up giving up a run, not even finishing the inning. Wells ended up going more than 1 inning (1.1 or 1.2 I forget) for the save.

Figured I could get something out of Beimel but not happening..I could suck up the ERA hit if I was at least getting the save here and there but gonna take a flier on Wells till that changes (in other words 3 days I bet haha).
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Wed May 13, 2009 11:09 pm

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... cisco.html

Manager Ron Washington is hoping closer Frank Francisco can be available Friday. Francisco did not throw Wednesday. The plan is for him to throw tomorrow and if all goes well, be available for the Los Angeles series. Washington said if Francisco wasn't available Friday, the team would re-evaluate its options. Francisco said his arm felt better today. General manager Jon Daniels thinks the soreness Francisco is now feeling has more to do with the injection he received than the biceps tendinitis. Washinton said C.J. Wilson would likely get the save opportunities in Francisco's absence, but the team would also consider playing matchups.

I wouldn't feel too bad if you didn't manage to pickup CJ, especially after watching him this last inning.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Bwanna wrote:http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/a-friday-return-for-francisco.html

Manager Ron Washington is hoping closer Frank Francisco can be available Friday. Francisco did not throw Wednesday. The plan is for him to throw tomorrow and if all goes well, be available for the Los Angeles series. Washington said if Francisco wasn't available Friday, the team would re-evaluate its options. Francisco said his arm felt better today. General manager Jon Daniels thinks the soreness Francisco is now feeling has more to do with the injection he received than the biceps tendinitis. Washinton said C.J. Wilson would likely get the save opportunities in Francisco's absence, but the team would also consider playing matchups.

I wouldn't feel too bad if you didn't manage to pickup CJ, especially after watching him this last inning.

He's currently in line for a cheap W, it's not all bad :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Bwanna » Wed May 13, 2009 11:35 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Bwanna wrote:http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/a-friday-return-for-francisco.html

Why yes he is... ;D :-b
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Bwanna wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Why yes he is... ;D :-b

Annnnnd.......... Yahoo has the run he allowed being unearned.

;-D ;-D ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers