2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:10 am

my money is on motte out of the gate. his being able to find the strike zone puts him ahead of perez, despite his one pitch arsenal. i think perez is a little too wild right now to land the job. i would bet on him to have more career saves than motte, but tony isnt going to like him walking the first batter he faces. TLR tolerated it from izzy because izzy had a track record, but it will earn a trip to the dog house for perez.

franklinhausen may very well have the job at some point this season, but i think he is poor bet to keep it.

kinney and mcclellan are dark horses. you can bet TLR still remembers what kinney did in 2006, and he trusted mcclellan so much last year that he ran him into the ground before the all-star break.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 am

siQ_innovation wrote:What are the chances Chad Cordero becomes the closer in Seattle?

I'd say pretty good considering he's had some success closing unlike most of the crew that's there right now.

Other related questions...
Why isn't he available in Yahoo and when will they add him?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cards07Champs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm starting to believe that Perez won't even make the roster. With five open RH relief slots, they all look spoken for to me:

Motte
Franklin
Kinney
McClellan
Thompson

The only crack Perez has is if TLR decides that McClellan can be the long guy and options out Thompson, but I don't see that happening. I suppose McClellan could also be sent down to work on building up starter's stamina.

Still betting on Motte.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:I'm starting to believe that Perez won't even make the roster. With five open RH relief slots, they all look spoken for to me:

Motte
Franklin
Kinney
McClellan
Thompson

The only crack Perez has is if TLR decides that McClellan can be the long guy and options out Thompson, but I don't see that happening. I suppose McClellan could also be sent down to work on building up starter's stamina.

Still betting on Motte.

I don't see how Perez won't make the roster...3.46 ERA, 7/10 in Save Opps, 9+ K/9 as a rookie, great minor league track record...

He had a better K rate, lower ERA, and lower WHIP than Franklin last season...

Also Motte has thrown just 11 major league innings, I know he was great in those innings, but when all is said and done, my guess is Perez will open the season as the closer in STL.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:47 pm

j24jags wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:I'm starting to believe that Perez won't even make the roster. With five open RH relief slots, they all look spoken for to me:

Motte
Franklin
Kinney
McClellan
Thompson

Still betting on Motte.

I don't see how Perez won't make the roster...3.46 ERA, 7/10 in Save Opps, 9+ K/9 as a rookie, great minor league track record...

Also Motte has thrown just 11 major league innings, I know he was great in those innings, but when all is said and done, my guess is Perez will open the season as the closer in STL.

What Cards07Champs is saying seems to be the consensus from most Cardinal fans.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2009/3/15/7 ... -situation

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bird-l ... ith-polls/

It is especially noteworthy that only 54% of 3,731 voters think Perez will make the 25 man roster at this point.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Mo has last say over the roster so I'd bet on Perez making it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby neoforce » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:03 pm

I've been betting on Hoffman to break down the last two years by getting Bell. In an NL only auction that just completed I picked up Villanueva for $2.

Maybe this is the year he finally breaks down and the strategy works? From RotoWorld:

Trevor Hoffman-R- Brewers Mar. 17 - 3:50 pm et
Trevor Hoffman has a strained right oblique and is considered day-to-day.
Hoffman apparently began feeling tightness on Saturday, and he hasn't pitched since. It's unclear when he'll resume working in games. Hoffman has made three appearances this spring, turning in scoreless innings each time.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Who knows if this injury is a sign of things to come, but certainly he can't pitch forever, can he?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm

j24jags wrote:I don't see how Perez won't make the roster...3.46 ERA, 7/10 in Save Opps, 9+ K/9 as a rookie, great minor league track record...

Agreed.

Not sure how anyone can justify having Motte close with such a small sample size. Perez has actually proved he can close effectively, Motte has not. But in the end, it probably doesn't matter. Franklin will be setting up, so I don't anticipate the Cards having many leads in the 9th until they get rid of him.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JayReds » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:08 pm

neoforce wrote:I've been betting on Hoffman to break down the last two years by getting Bell. In an NL only auction that just completed I picked up Villanueva for $2.

How certain are we that Villanueva is next in line?
JayReds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Arredondo owners are salivating - gotta wonder if Fuentes back is still a problem as he got roughed up today.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers