2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Bwanna wrote:
Posted by Dr. Keith Meister @ 8:04 PM Tue, May 12, 2009

Sorry Ranger Fans,

It doesn't do any good now, but I had warned Nolan Ryan and Jon Daniels about overusing Francisco. Those 2 inning saves Ron Washington kept insisting on didn't help either.

We'll try the shot and hope for the best. But it wouldn't surprise me if I had to operate on Frankie.

Don't worry. I talked to CJ today and he seems fine.

Not sure if that last comment is legit.

Francisco hasn't gone 2 innings yet.
If he's talking about more then 1.0 innings, Francisco has done that 3 times.
The overuse thing sounds right though, if he's not up to it and pitched on May 2,4,5,6.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bluejkrew » Wed May 13, 2009 1:14 am

Well Havoc was dead on when he said the Nats bullpen has zero good options for closer..

Beimel confirmed it just now, blowing his first save opp by giving up a 3-run bomb.

Wonder if Hanrahan is back to being the frontrunner now
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby horatio » Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 am

You guys are awesome; I was able to grab CJ Wilson in all 3 of my leagues. Wether or not he'll be worth having remains to be seen.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neboguy » Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Bwanna wrote:
Posted by Dr. Keith Meister @ 8:04 PM Tue, May 12, 2009

Sorry Ranger Fans,

It doesn't do any good now, but I had warned Nolan Ryan and Jon Daniels about overusing Francisco. Those 2 inning saves Ron Washington kept insisting on didn't help either.

We'll try the shot and hope for the best. But it wouldn't surprise me if I had to operate on Frankie.

Don't worry. I talked to CJ today and he seems fine.

Not sure if that last comment is legit.

Dr. Keith Meister is fictitious . . . I wouldn't look to far into Francisco's shoulder . . .
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby foeplay » Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am

horatio wrote:You guys are awesome; I was able to grab CJ Wilson in all 3 of my leagues. Wether or not he'll be worth having remains to be seen.

He was mediocre last year when he was a closer, so don't expect much. :(

Do you guys think that this means that once Francisco is healthy again he will start splitting save ops and never go three days in a row?
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bluejkrew » Wed May 13, 2009 1:50 pm

more info on the Nats bullpen. Apparently Hanrahan was supposed to relieve Beimel last game (AFTER Beimel was in trouble, and before the 3-run HR), but threw terrible during his warm up pitches..

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/chatter/2009/may/13/we-have-tried-everybody-and-their-cousins/

Tonight's contestants in "Who Wants to Blow a Late Nats Lead?" were Kip Wells and Joe Beimel. Wells came on for the eighth protecting that two-run lead and within seconds turned it into a one-run lead. Bengie Molina crushed an 0-1 pitch for a solo homer, so it was 7-6.

Let's move onto the ninth, when Beimel was handed the ball. The lefty looked just fine in retiring the first two men he faced with ease. But then Emmanuel Burriss singled. And then Beimel threw away a pickoff attempt, allowing Burriss to take second. And then he walked Edgar Renteria on five pitches.

All of a sudden, Joel Hanrahan and bullpen catcher Nilson Robledo sprinted out of the Nats' dugout and ran to the visitors bullpen down the right-field line here at AT&T Park. Any thought that Hanrahan might be a better option than Beimel, though, was quickly vanquished by anyone who saw his first three warmup throws. All three bounced in front of Robledo, the first one rolling all the way to the backstop behind home plate and forcing umpire Tim Timmons to call time out.

So it was Beimel, sink or swim. Pablo Sandoval ran the count to 2-2. Beimel tried to throw a sinker down and away. Instead it hung over the heart of the plate, at 84 mph. Do I really need to tell you what happened next? Ballgame.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 pm

I take one night off from the Cafe (I know, stoopid!) and Wilson becomes the closer! I missed him in all leagues! :-t
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 pm

bluejkrew wrote:more info on the Nats bullpen. Apparently Hanrahan was supposed to relieve Beimel last game (AFTER Beimel was in trouble, and before the 3-run HR), but threw terrible during his warm up pitches..

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/chatter/2009/may/13/we-have-tried-everybody-and-their-cousins/

Tonight's contestants in "Who Wants to Blow a Late Nats Lead?" were Kip Wells and Joe Beimel. Wells came on for the eighth protecting that two-run lead and within seconds turned it into a one-run lead. Bengie Molina crushed an 0-1 pitch for a solo homer, so it was 7-6.

Let's move onto the ninth, when Beimel was handed the ball. The lefty looked just fine in retiring the first two men he faced with ease. But then Emmanuel Burriss singled. And then Beimel threw away a pickoff attempt, allowing Burriss to take second. And then he walked Edgar Renteria on five pitches.

All of a sudden, Joel Hanrahan and bullpen catcher Nilson Robledo sprinted out of the Nats' dugout and ran to the visitors bullpen down the right-field line here at AT&T Park. Any thought that Hanrahan might be a better option than Beimel, though, was quickly vanquished by anyone who saw his first three warmup throws. All three bounced in front of Robledo, the first one rolling all the way to the backstop behind home plate and forcing umpire Tim Timmons to call time out.

So it was Beimel, sink or swim. Pablo Sandoval ran the count to 2-2. Beimel tried to throw a sinker down and away. Instead it hung over the heart of the plate, at 84 mph. Do I really need to tell you what happened next? Ballgame.

I just dropped Tavarez, too... :*)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby chargerss24 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:30 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I take one night off from the Cafe (I know, stoopid!) and Wilson becomes the closer! I missed him in all leagues! :-t

I hear ya man, I took a night off from the Cafe and missed out on Juan Cruz. !+) I'm dead last in saves and I have Wood/Rivera/Downs/Ryan so I scooped up Wilson immediately.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Nails86 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Am I missing something here?

"Wilson is the closer now."

I thought Frankie was just out a few days..... Not saying Wilson is a bad speculative pick up, but he's certainly not the closer.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers