2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Little Lee » Tue May 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Major League Baseball is reviewing Bobby Jenks' admission that he threw behind the Rangers' Ian Kinsler on Saturday night.

Jenks admitted to throwing behind Kinsler, but never said anything about trying to make contact. That small loophole could keep him out of trouble. "I'll not do it (throw behind a batter) again, but if there's something on my mind, yeah, I'll say it," said Jenks, who hadn't been contacted by MLB as of Monday. "But again, I wasn't trying to hit him. If they'll investigate that, they'll see that. It wasn't a dirty pitch. It wasn't up. It was right at his butt. That's all I can say."
Source: Chicago Tribune
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Early reports from ESPNChicago are saying that he won't get suspended, but will be fined $750. :-?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Old_Style wrote:Early reports from ESPNChicago are saying that he won't get suspended, but will be fined $750. :-?

Really? $750 :-b . I think Jenks should appeal that ;-7
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Not so good news for Ryan owners, myself included. Per CBS:

B.J. Ryan, RP TOR
News: B.J. Ryan is nearing a return to the Blue Jays, but not as the team's closer. GM J.P. Ricciardi says the Blue Jays will continue to use Scott Downs in the ninth inning even after Ryan rejoins the club. That could happen by the week's end as the left-hander finishes up his rehabilitation from minor shoulder injury. Ricciardi said Tuesday that Ryan's role will be determined. Ryan is in the fourth season of a five-year deal worth $47 million. The two-time All-Star has an 11.12 ERA in six games this season, with two saves in four chances.
Analysis: Ryan can be a productive middle reliever and if he proves healthy and effective again, he could elevate back to the closer's role again this season, perhaps before the All-Star break. Don't consider him in smaller mixed leagues come Fantasy Week 7 (May 18-24), so you might have to cut him if he is activated and you don't have room on your reserves.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby cmcentt » Tue May 12, 2009 7:05 pm

I've religiously followed these threads for a few years and finally decided to join in. I've been curious with the way Cox has been using Soriano and Gonzalez (and the way they have performed), what does everyone think the closing situation will look like for Atlanta this time next year? Both are only under contract through this year. I can't see Atlanta trying to re-sign both of them but it seems that one has to stay as I don't see anyone waiting close by in the wings.
cmcentt
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 pm

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... nitis.html

Anthony Andro wrote:Texas closer Frank Francisco is out with right biceps tendinitis. Francisco hasn't pitched since last Wednesday. He informed the team that his arm was sore Saturday. An MRI Monday revealed nothing structurally wrong. He was given an injection and the team hopes he can play catch Wednesday. General manager Jon Daniels said it's doubtful Francisco would pitch in the Seattle series. In 14 appearance, Francisco has a 0.00 ERA and nine saves.

then...

Posted by Dr. Keith Meister @ 8:04 PM Tue, May 12, 2009

Sorry Ranger Fans,

It doesn't do any good now, but I had warned Nolan Ryan and Jon Daniels about overusing Francisco. Those 2 inning saves Ron Washington kept insisting on didn't help either.

We'll try the shot and hope for the best. But it wouldn't surprise me if I had to operate on Frankie.

Don't worry. I talked to CJ today and he seems fine.

Not sure if that last comment is legit.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Tue May 12, 2009 9:38 pm

No no no no no. I just lost Soria. I can't afford to lose Francisco too. Please no.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 12, 2009 9:44 pm

I have a pending trade trading him away. I hope the trade doesn't get veto'd because of that news. But the last part does seem like a joke.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby bluejkrew » Tue May 12, 2009 9:54 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090512&content_id=4690076&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Rangers will let Francisco take a few days off and see how he responds to rest and treatment. C.J. Wilson will likely be the Rangers' closer during Francisco's absence.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nolanwood » Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Sherrill with the save vs. Crawford, Longoria, Pena, and Aybar. It appears the job is still his...or was he in for the lefty matchups of Crawford and Pena?
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers