2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:13 am

Maris09 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote: In fact I wouldn't pick up Madson. Remember, Romero will be back in 3 weeks, so if Lidge can hold out for a few weeks without going on the DL (I'd bet on him to be able to do this; he hasn't been DL'ed yet and there's no DL trip sounding imminent), Romero would probably become the closer

Don't agree with that at all. It would be Madson IMO.

Why not? Last year Romero was the 8th inning guy. Madson wasn't. And Romero won 2 World Series games. The only thing really going against Romero is that he's left-handed. It doesn't seem that Philly's said too much about Romero this year since he's been suspended, but he would at least be in play for the closer position if Lidge breaks down over the summer. That's enough for me not to be picking up Madson at this point, unless I have roster room to stash a possible extra closer and all other current closers, as well as the top 15-20 setup men are gone.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Closers Thread: help Bailey or Zumaya

Postby xclrated » Tue May 12, 2009 1:22 am

Need some help here in my 5X5 league... only get 162 appearances at SP so can't just drop Bailey in an SP slot.

Have Rivera and Gregg, looking better lately. Need a third RP most likely as Gregg may lose job and Rivera may have some DL time this year.

I have Zumaya, waiting for Rodney to flop eventually, and if I drop him someone else will snag him... do I keep him or go get Bailey?

WHIR...
xclrated
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Maris09 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote: In fact I wouldn't pick up Madson. Remember, Romero will be back in 3 weeks, so if Lidge can hold out for a few weeks without going on the DL (I'd bet on him to be able to do this; he hasn't been DL'ed yet and there's no DL trip sounding imminent), Romero would probably become the closer

Don't agree with that at all. It would be Madson IMO.

Why not? Last year Romero was the 8th inning guy. Madson wasn't. And Romero won 2 World Series games. The only thing really going against Romero is that he's left-handed. It doesn't seem that Philly's said too much about Romero this year since he's been suspended, but he would at least be in play for the closer position if Lidge breaks down over the summer. That's enough for me not to be picking up Madson at this point, unless I have roster room to stash a possible extra closer and all other current closers, as well as the top 15-20 setup men are gone.

Well I didn't say Madson was a great pickup now did I?
But if you're speculating on saves for the Phillies, and Madson is available, he's the guy to own.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 am

Maris09 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Don't agree with that at all. It would be Madson IMO.

Well I didn't say Madson was a great pickup now did I?
But if you're speculating on saves for the Phillies, and Madson is available, he's the guy to own.

+1 on this. I've never seen Romero used as a closer, while Madson has been used in the situation, and he is a righty.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Skins Fanatic » Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 am

Which closer by committee guy is a better bet going forward, Sherrill or Hanrahan?
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby foeplay » Tue May 12, 2009 9:38 am

Skins Fanatic wrote:Which closer by committee guy is a better bet going forward, Sherrill or Hanrahan?

I'd have to say Hanranahan because from what I've read, he's pitching good as of late. Sherrill hasn't pitched good all season with the exception of lefties. I think the only reason he's still part of the mix is because the rest of the bullpen isn't doing much better.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Tue May 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I just read this about BJ Ryan's progress on Drunkjaysfans.com.

B.J. Ryan continues to pitch every other day for Dunedin in his quest to "find himself" and follow it up by "staying within himself." After defecating the mattress in his previous outing, the Beej worked a perfect inning on Monday, striking out two seasonal labourers.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby LetsGoYankees » Tue May 12, 2009 1:46 pm

silverZ wrote:I just read this about BJ Ryan's progress on Drunkjaysfans.com.

B.J. Ryan continues to pitch every other day for Dunedin in his quest to "find himself" and follow it up by "staying within himself." After defecating the mattress in his previous outing, the Beej worked a perfect inning on Monday, striking out two seasonal labourers.

Is he going to close when he comes back?
LetsGoYankees
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:54 pm

LetsGoYankees wrote:

Well unless Cito Gaston himself posts on here we won't know for sure (If Ricciardi posted he'd probably lie...), but the consensus that I've seen around here is that he'll probably get another shot to close if he's pitching well.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 pm

LetsGoYankees wrote:

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers