2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Soriano. He's in a semi-closer by committee and could get 5-10 more saves this year (I'd bet closer to 5). Madson only gets saves if Lidge needs a day off/ is injured. Plus, Soriano's actually a pretty good pitcher and will help your ratios and such.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Soriano. He's in a semi-closer by committee and could get 5-10 more saves this year (I'd bet closer to 5). Madson only gets saves if Lidge needs a day off/ is injured. Plus, Soriano's actually a pretty good pitcher and will help your ratios and such.

5 more? or 5 total? he already has 3. I would say 5-10 more makes sense.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Crippler » Mon May 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Crippler wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Dotel has traditionally been the fill-in.
Thornton could get a chance if there are a couple lefties due up.

I still don't understand why Jenks would be suspended for throwing behind a guy.

Because he did it on purpose, and stated such after the game. He said he was doing it to send a message...aka intent to scare and possibly hurt the batter.

OMG! 8-o

Still dont understand?

...wow
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Magnus_CA » Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Soriano. He's in a semi-closer by committee and could get 5-10 more saves this year (I'd bet closer to 5). Madson only gets saves if Lidge needs a day off/ is injured. Plus, Soriano's actually a pretty good pitcher and will help your ratios and such.

It's hard to get a pulse on whether Lidge is hurt or not right now, otherwise I wouldn't of mentioned Madson. I guess I should of phrased my question this way...

Given all the uncertainty surrounding Lidge's ineffectiveness/possible injury is Madson a better candidate for more save opportunities over the next month than Soriano, who's in a CBC?
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Crippler wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
Crippler wrote:Because he did it on purpose, and stated such after the game. He said he was doing it to send a message...aka intent to scare and possibly hurt the batter.

OMG! 8-o

Still dont understand?

...wow

It has little to do with understanding, and more to do with agreeing/disagreeing with the sentiment. Either way, a full discussion on it could be had in another thread. I understand this is directly related a closer in this instance, but just saying if you wanna have a full on discussion on the appropriateness/inappropriateness, I'd love to participate in a thread to it. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby HipHipJorge » Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I like Juan Cruz...and I dislike Ziegler. You think Ziegler will keep his job with Bailey comin on strong. Also, I mentioned this before but does anyone know

(1) How long BJ Ryan is out
(2) How long Soria could be out. Thanks
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Soria's expected to make a return after his 15 days are up.

Not sure about Ryan. I'm not even sure the Jays are sure about Ryan. I think it'll depend on how the rehab assignments go.

EDIT: There's no guarantee that Ryan will regain the closer gig when he returns.
Last edited by Old_Style on Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HipHipJorge » Mon May 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks for the response. I am just deciding what to do with Ziegler. I do not know if he can keep his job. If he can he may be worth keeping. But if not...
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Magnus_CA wrote:

It's hard to get a pulse on whether Lidge is hurt or not right now, otherwise I wouldn't of mentioned Madson. I guess I should of phrased my question this way...

Given all the uncertainty surrounding Lidge's ineffectiveness/possible injury is Madson a better candidate for more save opportunities over the next month than Soriano, who's in a CBC?

Yeah. I'd still go with Soriano though. In fact I wouldn't pick up Madson. Remember, Romero will be back in 3 weeks, so if Lidge can hold out for a few weeks without going on the DL (I'd bet on him to be able to do this; he hasn't been DL'ed yet and there's no DL trip sounding imminent), Romero would probably become the closer.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:24 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote: In fact I wouldn't pick up Madson. Remember, Romero will be back in 3 weeks, so if Lidge can hold out for a few weeks without going on the DL (I'd bet on him to be able to do this; he hasn't been DL'ed yet and there's no DL trip sounding imminent), Romero would probably become the closer

Don't agree with that at all. It would be Madson IMO.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers