2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 11, 2009 11:17 am

metsfan12 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:The metamorphosis of Fernando Rodney back into Fernando Rodney is officially under way.

2 more walks today against 0 Ks.
That'll leave him with 4/9 BB/K which is about right career-wise.
Lets see if that is good enough to keep his job.

Stay tuned :-L

yeah, he's an abysmal 6/6 in Save Opps...should be Zumaya's job anyday now :-/

He is not a good closer and 6 saves don't change that. The other numbers should tell you nothing has changed. Just like you shouldn't run out and grab a poor RP because he has a bunch of wins early on, you shouldn't pay too much attention to 6/6 by a bad RP either. A guy with a 1.41 career WHIP and 1.42 again this year, AND a track record of struggling to close isn't a good closer. In fact, if you look at his year to year stats, he has progressively gotten worse and worse including this year. Why would you throw all that out and focus on 6 saves? I still say Detroit should trade for Street if he is available.

closers dont usually lose their jobs unless they blow games. he's had a pretty short career and was battling injuries in 2007 and 2008, so i dont put a ton of stock in those numbers. Nobody else in that pen is anymore capable either...oh wait, Joel Zumaya ;-7 there's a track record that just screams closer. if throwing 100MPH was all you needed to do to close, Kyle Farnsworth would be doing it. Rodney is not rock solid by any means, but it's going to take a string of blown saves for him to lose that job, and even then with Leyland as manager it's not a lock so i dont see that happening anytime soon. them trading for a better closer isnt out of the question, but i dont see him losing his job based on performance anytime soon
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Just a heads up...

From Rotoworld:
Bobby Jenks admitted in a post-game interview that he threw behind the Rangers' Ian Kinsler on Sunday "to send a message."
"I think that message was sent," said Jenks. "Basically, I was saying, 'I'm sick of seeing our guys get hit and hurt and almost get taken out of the game.' I threw it with intention." He's done a fine job this season, converting 7-of-7 save opportunities, but might have talked his way into a suspension here. We'll have to wait and see what the always unpredictable Commissioner's Office thinks of his actions and comments.

:-t
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jackie hayes » Mon May 11, 2009 1:44 pm

From rotoworld, Ziegler to be out for 10 days:

Brad Ziegler was taken for chest X-rays Sunday after a bout with the flu and asthma this past week.

A's team doctors want to make sure he doesn't have pneumonia. He's currently taking five medications and predicted that he won't be back to full strength for another 10 days. Look for the A's to place him on the disabled list fairly soon if the X-rays show anything suspicious. Oakland is likely to employ a committee of closers while he's out, but Andrew Bailey got the nod Saturday. May. 11 - 10:42 am et

Nuts. Hopefully they just put him on the dl soon. (Please?)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby RenPastana » Mon May 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Old_Style wrote:Just a heads up...

From Rotoworld:
Bobby Jenks admitted in a post-game interview that he threw behind the Rangers' Ian Kinsler on Sunday "to send a message."
"I think that message was sent," said Jenks. "Basically, I was saying, 'I'm sick of seeing our guys get hit and hurt and almost get taken out of the game.' I threw it with intention." He's done a fine job this season, converting 7-of-7 save opportunities, but might have talked his way into a suspension here. We'll have to wait and see what the always unpredictable Commissioner's Office thinks of his actions and comments.

Here is one player I wouldn't mind seeing get caught for using steroids...If Quentin didn't stand on top of the plate every time up maybe he wouldn't get beaned every time a pitcher threw inside to him...I hope Bobby Jenks gets suspended for this one (I could wish much worse things on him but there's no need to, he's already a fat pig who struggles to get ladies in bed I bet)
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 11, 2009 1:59 pm

What's with the animosity?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Old_Style wrote:Just a heads up...

From Rotoworld:

Sounds like Jenks is about as intelligent as Ozzie Guillen ;-D
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon May 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh, and apparently Ziegler is the #1 player in all Yahoo fantasy players. Or so sez the "Season (avg)" rankings.

:-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jackie hayes » Mon May 11, 2009 2:39 pm

jackie hayes wrote:From rotoworld, Ziegler to be out for 10 days:

Brad Ziegler was taken for chest X-rays Sunday after a bout with the flu and asthma this past week.

A's team doctors want to make sure he doesn't have pneumonia. He's currently taking five medications and predicted that he won't be back to full strength for another 10 days. Look for the A's to place him on the disabled list fairly soon if the X-rays show anything suspicious. Oakland is likely to employ a committee of closers while he's out, but Andrew Bailey got the nod Saturday. May. 11 - 10:42 am et

Nuts. Hopefully they just put him on the dl soon. (Please?)

Hmm... Just checked the rotoworld link, and it doesn't say he'll be sidelined. Here's the whole thing:

ZIEGLER'S AILMENTS: Reliever Brad Ziegler missed a week with the flu, then, after an asthma attack last week, was taken for chest X-rays to make sure he didn't have pneumonia. He's taking five medications and estimates he won't be back at full strength for another 10 days.

(From SF Chronicle.) "...won't be back at full strength..." doesn't mean "sidelined" (as rotoworld put it). I don't know if rotoworld is taking that from another source, or just making a mistake.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby metsfan12 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:46 pm

jackie hayes wrote:Oh, and apparently Ziegler is the #1 player in all Yahoo fantasy players. Or so sez the "Season (avg)" rankings.

The season average stats for pitchers are useless (beyond the uselessness you implied) since it is per game and not per IP average. They are somewhat less useless for hitters since it is games that are counted there.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jackie hayes » Mon May 11, 2009 2:55 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:Oh, and apparently Ziegler is the #1 player in all Yahoo fantasy players. Or so sez the "Season (avg)" rankings.

The season average stats for pitchers are useless (beyond the uselessness you implied) since it is per game and not per IP average. They are somewhat less useless for hitters since it is games that are counted there.

I agree, but it's still a funny glitch. Soria's average line is 1.0 ip, 0.1 w, 0.9 sv, 1.3 k, 2.08 era, 1.38 whip. Which is good for a rank of 591. Ziegler's is 1.0 ip, 0.0 w, 0.4 sv, 1.0 k, 4.05 era, 1.65 whip. Apparently that gives him a #1 ranking. Even though he's worse in every category.

The reason? Intangibles. ;-)

I just think it's a funny bug. Although it does make me wonder how many such bugs there are in whatever algorithm Yahoo uses.
Last edited by jackie hayes on Mon May 11, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers