2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Henry Owens (RHP) - Many thought he's have to closer job over Lindstrom right now but injury and and getting suspended for 50 games for testing positive for PHD's doesn't help.

I always thought that Owens looked smart.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Henry Owens (RHP) - Many thought he's have to closer job over Lindstrom right now but injury and and getting suspended for 50 games for testing positive for PHD's doesn't help.

I always thought that Owens looked smart.

LOL, PED. My bad.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Havok1517 wrote:something to keep an eye on...

Pitching coach Rick Kranitz announced Monday that Radhames Liz has been removed from consideration for a rotation spot and will now compete for a bullpen role.

Liz has been impressive so far this spring, but has a 7.37 ERA in 21 career starts. His mid-90s fastball and lack of quality secondary stuff should play much better out of the bullpen and he could emerge as a closer candidate in time. If he doesn't make the team out of spring training, Liz will continue to work as a reliever at Triple-A.
Source: Baltimore Sun

I'm surprised they were considering Liz for a spot in the rotation. I've always thought, for the past year or so, that he was just going to be a pen guy.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Field » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:30 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:I've been telling anyone who'll listen, Motte is absolutely the frontrunner for that job. He's the only guy in the 'pen with the mentality to close and his arsenal easily rivals Perez's.

I'll be very surprised if Motte doesn't take this thing.

This has come up a couple times, and my concern is Motte lacks a consistent off-speed pitch. He reminds me of when Braden Looper used to close. All fastball and about 70% the time nothing else.

It's possible Motte picks up some saves this year, but to start the season I think it's Franklin or Perez.

No kidding, Motte threw fastballs 90% of the time last year with his limited sample size. That's an extremely high percentage, Balfour lead the majors at 91%. Papelbon who probably has the best fastball in the game only threw it at 81.2%. I don't know much about Motte, but I do know that he won't get by at that rate even if his fastball is elite.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 pm

trevor hoffman as one of the choices is so wrong. :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:30 am

Sherrill.

I see we have 2 Jon Rauch owners voting. ;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby siQ_innovation » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am

What are the chances Chad Cordero becomes the closer in Seattle?

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:50 am

siQ_innovation wrote:What are the chances Chad Cordero becomes the closer in Seattle?

Pretty good if he can regain some velocity. But it doesn't look like he'll be back before May...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 am

From Gould's article on the final candidates to fill out the two or three remaining pitching slots...
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bird-l ... ith-polls/

JASON MOTTE, RHP: On the 40-man roster. Drew raves today from Detroit manager Jim Leyland, according to the Tigers beat reporters. Motte has arguably been the most impressive of the young guns this camp. He’s shown a developing changeup and a better slider. He throws strikes. More strikes. Hard strikes. He hit 98 mph today consistently as he struck out every batter he faced. That’s a weapon to have in the bullpen, and it could be hard to send him to Triple-A — even if those secondary pitches need some workshopping in the minors.

CHRIS PEREZ, RHP: On the 40-man roster. Conspicuously absent from the ninth inning in today’s tie game against Detroit. Asked about not using Perez, La Russa said: “He didn’t need to pitch today to show me.” OK. Perez hasn’t been as consistent as Motte and the numbers show that. Though he’s improved. He hasn’t allowed a hit in his previous four outings. But Motte has two appearances since Perez’s last. His second pitch also needs work.

JOSH KINNEY, RHP: On the 40-man roster. All you need to know is this — the 2006 postseason still carries a lot of weight with the Cardinals’ coaches and what Kinney did back then sweetens everything he does right now. Kinney has knocked the rust of his mechanics and pitched well in his previous four outings. Since a three-walk debut in Grapefruit League play, the righthander has four strikeouts in his previous three innings. He got a win and a save in relief last week. Hard to imagine a way he doesn’t go north.

My money is on Motte.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 260)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 am

CHRIS PEREZ, RHP: On the 40-man roster. Conspicuously absent from the ninth inning in today’s tie game against Detroit. Asked about not using Perez, La Russa said: “He didn’t need to pitch today to show me.” OK. Perez hasn’t been as consistent as Motte and the numbers show that. Though he’s improved. He hasn’t allowed a hit in his previous four outings. But Motte has two appearances since Perez’s last. His second pitch also needs work.

This isn't true. I've been following the situation closely. Motte has only pitched once since Perez's last outing. Before yesterday, both last pitched a few days ago on the same day. Cardinals were split squad, and both Motte and Perez closed out their games. Perez struggled though, and gave up 2 runs (a couple of hits and a walk).

After yesterday, my money's on Motte as well.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers