2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby silverZ » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:08 am

I thought the Rockies 9th inning was Streets job to lose...which is likely considering how bad he was last year.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am

Everything I've read has indicated that Street is the closer to begin the season. He's got it together.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:17 am

silverZ wrote:I thought the Rockies 9th inning was Streets job to lose...which is likely considering how bad he was last year.

If Street was bad, what was Corpas?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:19 am

Love the thread! Use it every year. Hopefullty I can contribute this year a little more! ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:17 am

Say hello to the likely closer-of-the-future as former UG closer Josh Fields signs with the Mariners. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he breaks camp with the club and end up as the closer during the '09 season as he's pretty much already there in terms of talent and skill with regard to closers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_sea
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:31 am

rookies and cream wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:2. corpas has been endorsed as the Col closer

Do you have a link for this?

Conflicting reports here. I'm going to leave it as is as Street could still be dealt during the pre-season.

According to the Denver Post, "the Rockies have told people close to Manny Corpas" that he will be the team's closer even after the trade for Huston Street. Source: Denver Post

Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd hinted Tuesday that Huston Street would enter spring training as the favorite to close over Manny Corpas. Source: Denver Post
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Element » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:37 am

Slightly nit picking, but I would think that Cory Wade would be next in line before Mota for the Dodgers. He would have to be more valuable of a MR option heading into Spring.

Good job again.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 am

This is always a great thread before the game commentary hits it. As always Havok, your work is appreciated. Here are my head-scratchers.

Baltimore can in no way be safe until Chris Ray proves he's healthy. To a lesser extent, the same can be said about Percival in Tampa Bay. Both of their managers have hinted at sharing or committees to close out games which we all know is no fun.

Orioles manager Dave Trembley suggested Monday that George Sherrill and Chris Ray could share closing duties next season.
"I don't think there will be competition,'' Trembley said. "I think I'm going to be afforded the luxury of having two guys that have done it... I don't think it's inconceivable that we could somehow share that role." It's way too early to buy much into that comment, but it does show that the Orioles have faith in Chris Ray being healthy to start the season. He is coming off Tommy John surgery. We'd still consider Sherrill the frontrunner to take the job full time.

If Percival is not ready for Opening Day, the Rays would likely go with a bullpen-by-committee arrangement.
"If Percy's well, it's his job," said manager Joe Maddon.

I've read your conflicting reports but still think that Street is the favorite for saves in Colorado. With the uncertainty, I don't see how you can call it safe. If you're leery of a trade going down then you should list Street appropriately.

I haven't seen any information that would hint that Qualls isn't the guy in Arizona. Sure Rauch and Pena are both fine options but with as solid as Qualls was last year I don't see how Melvin doesn't hand him the ball in the 9th.

Marmol isn't going to be handed the job in Chicago as Piniella wants him to compete with Gregg in ST. Still safe IMO but maybe a "looking over his shoulder".

Ziegler should definitely be ahead of Casilla. Geren has said he might alternate between Devine and Ziegler depending on the game situation.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:59 am

Great work...the thread I visit throughout the year often! ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Samardzija=Destined for rotation :-B