2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RenPastana » Tue May 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Matt Capps will be sidelined until this weekend with what's being called "minor discomfort" in his right elbow.
An examination on Tuesday indicated that there's no structural damage, and given that Capps was throwing 93-95 mph in his last appearance, the Pirates are optimistic. "We're just giving him a rest, and we think he should be fine by this weekend," manager John Russell said. "He already felt a lot better today, and we'll see how he feels here in the next little while." John Grabow and Tyler Yates are expected to share the closer duties while Capps is out.

Per rotoworld

Time to grab Grabow guys!
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Downs is pure money. 15.1 IP thus far, 20 Ks, 0 BBs 1 ER and something like half a hit per inning. My gut is saying to stick a fork in BJ. He has no business not being done. I have no inside information or special knowledge of the organization and I'm tempted to say "cue the detractors" from my Downs is the guy from here on in theory, but if I'm a betting man, I've got Downs getting more than 75% of the remaining Blue Jay saves this year.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Nails86 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Wow. Capps has been getting rocked and now has a mysterious elbow issue. These types of minor injuries can turn into major ones really quickly. The question is since Grabow is the better pitcher and him and Yates are splitting the duties, will the manager go lefty/righty matchups. Grabow is the better pitcher but he is lefty so will Yates get the ball if 3 righties are due up in the 9th? Thoughts?

Also, props to RenPastana for this update and for pointing out Capps' struggles in his last 3 outings last night before this injury news came out. You may be a Red Sox fan, but you're alright in my book bud.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ABA316 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:What about Baez? He was a full time closer as recently as 2005, and he's easily been the best reliever so far in the Orioles pen. Second lowest FIP and ERA (lowest of each if you don't count Jamie Walker's 4 2/3 IP sample size), lowest WHIP, and a good 7.47 K rate.

Even more recently than that Neato. 2007 in fact. When Ray got knocked out for the year Baez got the vast majority of the saves for the Birds.

I know it was that season he got knocked out as well..I don't recall if it was very end of season or after the regular season however, but if you check his player profile it will show you that. I grabbed him late in an AL only for $1 figuring he might scrape up a couple saves if Ray was hurt and wasn't complaining about that investment ;-D
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 pm

fezzik wrote:
RenPastana wrote:I agree...He came in with a 4 run lead but also had a guy on first to begin with...that's a save situation, ya?

I believe the tying run has to be on deck, so with a 4-run lead there would have to be two runners on when he entered in order for it to be a save situation.

You are correct that is true when it comes to a 4 run save.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Whalewang » Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 am

Franklin Shaky? Maybe dominating, but not shaky. I assume you inadvertently forgot to change the icon for him when he took over?
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:19 am

Whalewang wrote:Franklin Shaky? Maybe dominating, but not shaky. I assume you inadvertently forgot to change the icon for him when he took over?

He's going to be shaky as long as he has the job. A few terrible performances and he is likely to lose the position.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 06, 2009 6:30 am

Grabow or Yates? Both seem pretty brutal, but . . .
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby mweir145 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:27 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Downs is pure money. 15.1 IP thus far, 20 Ks, 0 BBs 1 ER and something like half a hit per inning. My gut is saying to stick a fork in BJ. He has no business not being done. I have no inside information or special knowledge of the organization and I'm tempted to say "cue the detractors" from my Downs is the guy from here on in theory, but if I'm a betting man, I've got Downs getting more than 75% of the remaining Blue Jay saves this year.

Accardo is doing pretty well in AAA, too, don't forget about him.

:-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Crippler » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 am

activechamp2006 wrote:
Whalewang wrote:Franklin Shaky? Maybe dominating, but not shaky. I assume you inadvertently forgot to change the icon for him when he took over?

He's going to be shaky as long as he has the job. A few terrible performances and he is likely to lose the position.

"A few terrible performances" doesnt look likely anytime soon. I guess the 0.00 ERA and perfect 7/7 save record this season have gone unnoticed.

By that criteria, I'd mark almost every single closer on the list as "shaky" because all but 2 or 3 could lose their job after a few blow ups.
Last edited by Crippler on Wed May 06, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers