2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:46 am

Lindstrom leaves game, to have MRI: Marlins closer Matt Lindstrom, pitching for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, left Sunday's game against the Netherlands with a stiff pitching shoulder. He was scheduled for an MRI exam Monday. "I'm not that worried," Lindstrom said. "I probably could have finished the inning, but they didn't want to take any chances." Lindstrom gave up two runs on two hits and a walk in two-thirds of an inning. He almost triggered a brawl by throwing at Vince Rooi after a home run by Bryan Engelhardt.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby neoforce » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:25 am

metsfan12 wrote:If Lindstrom goes out who is the guy? I heard Leo Nunez as a possibility. Tank?

I value Havok's opinion as much as anyone here, and he is very high on Tank and has him as #2 on the first page of this thread. But in this case I have a tough time agreeing with him. I've been following Tank a long time and wonder if will ever get a shot to close.

Some managers just don't like the lefty as closer and I wonder if Fredi González feels that way too. Or it could be that Fredi just thinks Tank is too inconsistent to close. He never seemed to give Tank a shot. Part of that is circumstances. It seemed that whenever there might have been an opportunity Tank was in a slump or injured.

As for right now, Tank has been doing lousy this spring. I was listening to an audiocast of the game against the Mets in the last day or two where he got lit up, and the announcers were speculating they might even send him down. Now, take that with a grain of salt, but he has been really bad this spring.

Bottom line for me, even in a deep league, I wouldn't trust Tank to pick up for Lindstrom
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Bottom line for me, even in a deep league, I wouldn't trust Tank to pick up for Lindstrom

At this point in his career he needs to show he can get someone out. IMO he shouldn't even be on the big list for closers consideration.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 pm

neoforce wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:If Lindstrom goes out who is the guy? I heard Leo Nunez as a possibility. Tank?

I value Havok's opinion as much as anyone here, and he is very high on Tank and has him as #2 on the first page of this thread. But in this case I have a tough time agreeing with him. I've been following Tank a long time and wonder if will ever get a shot to close.

Some managers just don't like the lefty as closer and I wonder if Fredi González feels that way too. Or it could be that Fredi just thinks Tank is too inconsistent to close. He never seemed to give Tank a shot. Part of that is circumstances. It seemed that whenever there might have been an opportunity Tank was in a slump or injured.

As for right now, Tank has been doing lousy this spring. I was listening to an audiocast of the game against the Mets in the last day or two where he got lit up, and the announcers were speculating they might even send him down. Now, take that with a grain of salt, but he has been really bad this spring.

You're right. At this point, I think there are better options in the FLA pen than Tank I'm just not sure who it will e right now until things become more clear. Though, I think Tank will be a asset sometime this season.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 125)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm

something to keep an eye on...

Pitching coach Rick Kranitz announced Monday that Radhames Liz has been removed from consideration for a rotation spot and will now compete for a bullpen role.

Liz has been impressive so far this spring, but has a 7.37 ERA in 21 career starts. His mid-90s fastball and lack of quality secondary stuff should play much better out of the bullpen and he could emerge as a closer candidate in time. If he doesn't make the team out of spring training, Liz will continue to work as a reliever at Triple-A.
Source: Baltimore Sun
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
neoforce wrote:

You're right. At this point, I think there are better options in the FLA pen than Tank I'm just not sure who it will e right now until things become more clear. Though, I think Tank will be a asset sometime this season.

So, without committing enough to change the front page, who do you think has the best chance and 2nd best chance IF Lindstrom goes out?
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Just watched Motte for the first time this spring.

1 IP, 3 K's (including one on a slider).

Nasty....
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Cards07Champs » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:38 pm

I've been telling anyone who'll listen, Motte is absolutely the frontrunner for that job. He's the only guy in the 'pen with the mentality to close and his arsenal easily rivals Perez's.

I'll be very surprised if Motte doesn't take this thing.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Honestly, the Marlins, without a doubt, have the best power reliever depth in baseball. I will try and do my best to analyze the most worthy and at this point in time I'd rank them...Lindstrom, Nunez, Kensing, Pinto, Martinez, de la Cruz, Tankersley, Ceda, Sanches, Sinkbeil, Tucker, Owens, Bowyer

Leo Nunez (RHP) - He was the cheap and useful bounty from the Jacobs deal. That alone, might give him 1st crack at the job if Lindstrom is out for a long period. That being said, he's 6'1 160 which means he's very skinny for his frame and he has had shoulder trouble in the past. He's can throw bout 95 mph but he doesn't K a lot and he is very wild at times which doesn't give you the potential you'd like as he doesn't miss a lot of bats.

Logan Kensing (RHP) - Probably the best current reliever in-house as he'll provide good stats and ratios if given the closer job though he might have to wait on Nunez. He's a little wild and has had basically identical stats to Nunez this spring with more upside and he's the best closing option IMO for the Marlins.

Eulogio De La Cruz (RHP) - Came over in the Willis/MCab deal due to his high 90's stuff. Thought to be a mini-Zumaya if he meets his potential, Cruz just has not been consistent enough with his location to stick in either the rotation or bullpen. Something that makes him likely to stick in the majors besides his potential is that he's out of options.

Jose Ceda (RHP) - Former Cubs farmhand is a large guy with an electric arm but he's currently have shoulder trouble and is destined to start in the minors. Armando Benitez potential.

Henry Owens (RHP) - Many thought he's have to closer job over Lindstrom right now but injury and and getting suspended for 50 games for testing positive for PHD's doesn't help.

Taylor Tankersley (LHP) - Likely the most talented relief prospect for FLA but also one of the most underachieving. He just hasn't gotten it together but I'm still convinced he'll contribute positively in the future.

Carlos Martinez (RHP) - One of the few Marlins relievers having a good spring but he's been very injury prone. Still, he'll produce decent results if given time in the 9th inning.

Reyel Pinto (LHP) - One of those pitchers that is really only good when pitching against splits. I could see him get a few saves here and there based on matchups against lefties but that is about it.

Brian Sanches (RHP) - Journey-man finally found some success last year in the minors but was stupidly let go by WAS GM' Bowden just when he could be of help. He has some saves this spring but he'd likely just be a situational setup pitcher at best.

Ryan Tucker (RHP) - Marlins have yet to decide if he's a reliever or starter but he has the chops to do both though not at this point in his career for either on a MLB level.

Brett Sinkbeil (RHP) - The former 1st round pick and former predicted 2010 closer by BA has yet to be consistent enough to prosper. He's likely to see time in the majors this year and has a lot of potential but not yet.

Travis Bowyer (RHP) - Has yet to recover from injury

Note: There have been talk that Volstad/Miller might be moved from the rotation to the bullpen in favor of a vet but that has to come to fruition. Sean West is another in the Tucker scenario but with a little more upside due to being a lefty starter right now.
Last edited by Havok1517 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:I've been telling anyone who'll listen, Motte is absolutely the frontrunner for that job. He's the only guy in the 'pen with the mentality to close and his arsenal easily rivals Perez's.

I'll be very surprised if Motte doesn't take this thing.

This has come up a couple times, and my concern is Motte lacks a consistent off-speed pitch. He reminds me of when Braden Looper used to close. All fastball and about 70% the time nothing else.

It's possible Motte picks up some saves this year, but to start the season I think it's Franklin or Perez.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers