2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Onions » Sun May 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Why are we documenting inning by inning of a thirteen inning A's game...
When they're closer has been out not due to poor pitching....but because of a flu bug?

Their closer is on the DL. Ziegler is a fill in and has mysteriously disappeared for over a week now due to a 'flu bug'.

Yes but what use is there in discussing inning by inning of a 13 inning game?
It's all hands on deck at that point (thus Eveland). No closer information can be taken out of the inning by inning commentary of who's entered in that type of game.
No?

Maris, you crack me up. Why do you let this bother you so much?

I have no doubt you were the little kid in school who was always the first to run to the teacher to tell on others who were doing something you didn't like.

The point of this thread is to provide information to anyone who wants it concerning closers and possible closers. Anyone can read websites and newspapers tomorrow to see analysis, but this is a place where people can come to get information in a more timely manner. Because closer roles/values are so fluid, this thread is an invaluable resource...And is so because of many of the posts that you don't seem to like (yet everyone else seems to).

If you don't like something, just skip over it. Is that so difficult to do?
Onions
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun May 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Maris, you're great. Keep on doin' you man. One day you'll realize you're much more detrimental to this thread than a spattering of game commentary here and there...

Just to keep things on topic...

Mike MacDougal

MacDougal signed a minor league contract with the Nationals on Sunday, the Associated Press reports.

Recommendation: The White Sox waived MacDougal after he posted a 12.46 ERA in five games this season. His stint in Chicago has largely been disappointing. He'll try to realize his potential again in Washington.
(Rotowire.com)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby Magnus_CA » Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Why are we documenting inning by inning of a thirteen inning A's game...
When they're closer has been out not due to poor pitching....but because of a flu bug?

Their closer is on the DL. Ziegler is a fill in and has mysteriously disappeared for over a week now due to a 'flu bug'.

Yes but what use is there in discussing inning by inning of a game in the 15th inning?
It's all hands on deck at that point (thus Eveland). No closer information can be taken out of the inning by inning commentary of who's entered in that type of game.
No?

Wuertz and Bailey have both been mentioned as options to close so how the A's use them over the next few days very relevant. If it's the commentary that's specifically bothering you then ignore it and let the mods police the thread.

-Bigh0rt, Onion, you know better than to feed the Maris09. :-b
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Maris09 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Maris, you're great. Keep on doin' you man. One day you'll realize you're much more detrimental to this thread than a spattering of game commentary here and there...

Just wondering why they bother to put the "(No Game Commentary Please)" in the thread title is all.
Last edited by Maris09 on Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Someone please change it to (No Game Commentary or Bitching Please)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Maris09 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Someone please change it to (No Game Commentary or Bitching Please)

That sounds like a very fair trade off to me.

Aaronta77 wrote:I realize a lot of closer situations are mostly speculation, but come on guys, a lot of us come here for advice, not to just hear ourselves talk.

Think before you type...my rant is over.

As an afterthought, this is probably a post doing the very thing I am preaching against. However, I felt it needed to be said.

Does it sound better when he says it? Not sure it's being interpreted correctly from me.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby slink » Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Some Blue Jays updates courtesy of a Blue Jays board I frequent. All info is from an interview with the Jays assistant GM Alex Anthopoulos done by Jerry Howarth in the broadcast booth.

Jeremy Accardo - Expected to be called up soon. The team is trying to find a place for him as they haven't had a great need for short relief. He's worked on his slider and has his fastball's up to 94 MPH. My take is that if Downs hits the DL and Ryan isn't back he would be next in line, before Frasor.

BJ Ryan - Is receiving treatment on his Trapezius as they're trying to work the kink out of it. He's in good spirits and is expected to be in Dunedin some time this week. He's been throwing some bullpen sessions but there is no timetable for his return. The team hopes he'll return sometime at the end of May.
slink
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Maybe Aussie, being the resident Oakland expert, could give his opinion. However, I see no reason to not keep Bailey out of the closer role exactly because of last night. He's more valuable going 2 innings when needed, and pitching when and wehre he's needed than closing. Give the job to Wuertz who has good stuff and is capable, and wait til Devine gets back and then reevaluate. But to peg Bailey as a closer so soon would just be a waste of a great arm IMO. Similar to the Marmol/Gregg situation. Anyone else agree?

:-b

I would make my points thusly..........

-- Ziegler hasn't done anything to lose the closers job except get sick. He is pretty much what they expected him to be at this point. He should lose the job eventually because he's simply not good enough, but I don't think it'll be right now.

-- Wuertz has been great. He struggled against RH last year, and looks to have fixed that. At this stage he's next cab off the rank if/when Ziegler turns back into a pumpkin.

-- Bailey has been insanely lucky. He's rocking a 14% hit rate right now. I don't think they can sensibly make him the closer at this stage in his development. He's only been a reliever for about half a year + 2009. If he still looks great in August/September (when results might not matter)/next year then sure go for it. In comparison Street got his first save on June 2 of his debut year, but he had always been a reliever and wasn't adjusting to it.

-- For a real dark horse, Jerry Blevins is still lurking in AAA working on some stuff. He'll be back at some stage, and was talked about as a closing possibility last year by Geren.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon May 04, 2009 8:36 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:Maybe Aussie, being the resident Oakland expert, could give his opinion. However, I see no reason to not keep Bailey out of the closer role exactly because of last night. He's more valuable going 2 innings when needed, and pitching when and wehre he's needed than closing. Give the job to Wuertz who has good stuff and is capable, and wait til Devine gets back and then reevaluate. But to peg Bailey as a closer so soon would just be a waste of a great arm IMO. Similar to the Marmol/Gregg situation. Anyone else agree?

-- Ziegler hasn't done anything to lose the closers job except get sick. He is pretty much what they expected him to be at this point. He should lose the job eventually because he's simply not good enough, but I don't think it'll be right now.

-- Wuertz has been great. He struggled against RH last year, and looks to have fixed that. At this stage he's next cab off the rank if/when Ziegler turns back into a pumpkin.

-- Bailey has been insanely lucky. He's rocking a 14% hit rate right now. I don't think they can sensibly make him the closer at this stage in his development. He's only been a reliever for about half a year + 2009. If he still looks great in August/September (when results might not matter)/next year then sure go for it. In comparison Street got his first save on June 2 of his debut year, but he had always been a reliever and wasn't adjusting to it.

-- For a real dark horse, Jerry Blevins is still lurking in AAA working on some stuff. He'll be back at some stage, and was talked about as a closing possibility last year by Geren.

50 % or more of your posts include the name jerry blevins. :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 04, 2009 9:07 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

50 % or more of your posts include the name jerry blevins. :-b

I <3 Blevins and his potential.
That was a cracking deal to get him for Kendall. Me and knipples had quite the discusgument about it. :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers