2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 03, 2009 12:13 am

ChasingSaves wrote:Aardsma got the loss in his first appearance after Morrow placed on the DL. I know it wasn't a save spot, but do we think Aardsma is pretty safe as the closer with Morrow out, or is he only a game or 2 away from losing the job?

He seems reasonably in favour with his manager, he already had 3 saves before today.
And it's not like he got blasted out of this game, it looks like it was a walk,steal,single 1 run inning.

His control is still crappy, so he could lose it down the road (possibly to Kelley :-L ), but he's the one to own at the moment. ;-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby metsfan12 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:21 am

So Wuertz is the guy apparently? Too bad Casilla had to go down at the same time Ziegler is out.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Aaronta77 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:13 am

Sea-

What's the deal with J. Fields??? Is he anywhere close to ready?

I could see him closing by year's end if Morrow can't make it back to last year's (bullpen) form. I don't trust Aardsma, I think Fields could be a major league closer, I just don't know how far away from being ready he is...

Any thoughts from people who follow Seattle Minor league teams.

Oak-

Besides Springer's bad outing yesterday, he's been pretty solid. Do y'all really think it's Wuertz or do you think any other Oak RP has a chance if Ziegler hits the DL (first swine flu case in MLB)? Oakland generally has an abundance of great RPs.

Now, I have to make a comment about this thread. Over the last two years, you guys have helped me win about $1500 in money leagues. I have been able to pick up closers throughout the season and parlay known closers for better bats. I know I don't make many contributions, but that's because I feel like there are several posters who just know more than me. I have seen the thread deteriorate over the last two years as more and more people are just posting BS. It used to be filled with useful knowledge from people whom either lived in the cities where these Closer Situations were discussed regularly on the radio, etc. or those who were actually at the games in question. I wish people chose my approach of, if you don't have anything of value to add, just keep your mouths shut. However, as that probably won't happen.

I now have a new approach...I only read the posts written by people I have come to trust (Havok, Yoda-even though they've had an argument or two, Omaha, and Aussie Dodger, etc...if I left you off it doesn't mean I don't trust you-there are just a lot of people to name). I propose that if you feel the need to argue, start an argument thread...heck it may become popular in itself.

I realize a lot of closer situations are mostly speculation, but come on guys, a lot of us come here for advice, not to just hear ourselves talk.

Think before you type...my rant is over.

As an afterthought, this is probably a post doing the very thing I am preaching against. However, I felt it needed to be said.

I will add a thank you to those who continue to post useful information, as it has made me a couple bucks over the years. I hope the idiots don't make you stop posting...if they do, and you choose to start a secret thread :) Please tell me where it is.

A-
Aaronta77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 03, 2009 2:43 am

Aaronta77 wrote:Sea-

I could see him closing by year's end if Morrow can't make it back to last year's (bullpen) form. I don't trust Aardsma, I think Fields could be a major league closer, I just don't know how far away from being ready he is...

He's at AA at the moment, and is showing pretty much exactly the same skills that they drafted him for. Huge Ks, not many HRs allowed, terrible,terrible control. I think it would be a disaster for Seattle if they put him in the closer spot as-is. He could be a contender for the job down the road, but definitely not this year. I think Morrow or Kelley are the eventual winners in Seattle.

Aaronta77 wrote:Oak-

Besides Springer's bad outing yesterday, he's been pretty solid. Do y'all really think it's Wuertz or do you think any other Oak RP has a chance if Ziegler hits the DL (first swine flu case in MLB)? Oakland generally has an abundance of great RPs.

Wuertz has been given the last 2 consecutive save ops. He has been really good this year.
Unless we find out any different we have to take Oakland's word that Zielger has the flu. They are pretty secretive when it comes to injuries, but I haven't seen a case so far where they've lied about it like Toronto.

Aaronta77 wrote:I now have a new approach...I only read the posts written by people I have come to trust (Havok, Yoda-even though they've had an argument or two, Omaha, and Aussie Dodger, etc...

Thanks Aaronta ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mac-unit » Sun May 03, 2009 2:53 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Aaronta77 wrote:Sea-

He's at AA at the moment, and is showing pretty much exactly the same skills that they drafted him for. Huge Ks, not many HRs allowed, terrible,terrible control. I think it would be a disaster for Seattle if they put him in the closer spot as-is. He could be a contender for the job down the road, but definitely not this year. I think Morrow or Kelley are the eventual winners in Seattle.

Take out his first outing of the season he has 12 ks and 3 bbs. I wouldn't call that terrible even if it is in AA. I do agree though, that he will not close for them this year. I'd be surprised if they call him up without sending him to AAA for an extended amount of time.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 114)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 am

mac-unit wrote:Take out his first outing of the season he has 12 ks and 3 bbs. I wouldn't call that terrible even if it is in AA. I do agree though, that he will not close for them this year. I'd be surprised if they call him up without sending him to AAA for an extended amount of time.

I saw that he had 4 walks in his first game, but I don't really prescribe to the theory of taking games out to analyse how good someone is. It's the same as taking a couple of his clean innings out and telling you what is left. :-P
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rookies and cream » Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 am

AussieDodger wrote:
mac-unit wrote:Take out his first outing of the season he has 12 ks and 3 bbs. I wouldn't call that terrible even if it is in AA. I do agree though, that he will not close for them this year. I'd be surprised if they call him up without sending him to AAA for an extended amount of time.

I saw that he had 4 walks in his first game, but I don't really prescribe to the theory of taking games out to analyse how good someone is. It's the same as taking a couple of his clean innings out and telling you what is left. :-P

But when it's your first professional game and you blow up like that, I think you could can throw it out and chalk it up to nerves. He has been very solid since, and gave up only 1 hit and 3 walks, with and 12 k's over his next 6 IP. Has last two outings haven't been as good though, though he's only given up 1 run. That was his first earned run since the opening day blow-up.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby CadensDad » Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 am

metsfan12 wrote:
dissent wrote:
CadensDad wrote:Honestly if your looking towards the Nationals bullpen to help you in saves on your fantasy team, you might as well call it quits for the year.

(Nothing personal, just don't get the "fuss" over who is closing in Washington when they most likely wont even win 60 games.

Are you kidding? Have you already forgotten the 3-year stretch Chad Cordero had with the Nats? Those teams were awful too, albeit slightly better than today's Nats. What about Soria last year for an awful Royals team? I won leagues with both of them.

Losing teams are great places to find cheap saves. As someone already said here, they get more chances in close games.

I think the WA situation is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

And if one of those bums learns how to close out a game they might win a few more.

Cordero and Soria are/where top closers though. None of these guys on the Nationals are or even have the tool's to become top closers. At max they will get 45 save opp's as a team and I doubt they convert 30 of them, divided by the 8 different guys we see closing you'd be better off grabbing a MR from another team

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Sun May 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Aaronta77 wrote:I now have a new approach...I only read the posts written by people I have come to trust (Havok, Yoda-even though they've had an argument or two, Omaha, and Aussie Dodger, etc...if I left you off it doesn't mean I don't trust you-there are just a lot of people to name). I propose that if you feel the need to argue, start an argument thread...heck it may become popular in itself.

Looks like your prayers have been answered: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=380051
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckbillgates » Sun May 03, 2009 1:13 pm

CBC in Baltimore. From CBS Sports:

George Sherrill, RP BAL

News: Baltimore manager Dave Trembley sent a message on Sunday that nobody in the bullpen is safe if they are going to pitch poorly. Trembley declined to endorse All-Star closer George Sherrill as the team's closer going forward one day after Sherrill blew his second save in six chances this season. Trembley sidestepped several questions about the closer situation, but said that at least for now it could be a "day-by-day" decision as to who closes that particular game, reports the Baltimore Sun. "I think number one, we have to do what's best to get us on the winning track," Trembley said before the Orioles' series finale against the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday. "And number two, I have to take a look at the situation and do what I feel is in the best interest of the team for today and see how the situation plays out as it gets later in the game. If we need a save situation, I'll go with what I think is the best guy in that role today. Further than that, I'll probably take it day by day."

Analysis: Trembley wasn't specific when asked about his other options to close games, but he said that he wouldn't rule out struggling right-hander Chris Ray, who was the Orioles' closer in 2006 and 2007 before having ligament-reconstruction surgery on his right elbow. Trembley's other options include Danys Baez and Jim Johnson. One thing is certain, this severely hurts Sherrill's Fantasy value. He was able to be used as a No. 2 Fantasy reliever but right now should probably be inactive in all leagues except AL-only formats.

Looks like an opportunity for Ray. Too bad he hasn't been pitching better. What are our thoughts on this?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers