2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby hot4tx » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:01 pm

markj11 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:i didnt necessarily mean any one closer specifically, but just any closers overall that have a high ERA/WHIP and how much of an effect does that have on your overall team ERA/WHIP. with your closers only having a small number of IP those higher ERA/WHIP are not going to have a big effect on your overall team ERA/WHIP?
let me see if i explain this better. if you have to choose between any 2 closers. one who will get you say 30 saves with a low 2s ERA/low 1.2s WHIP that is drafted before the 10th round.. or another one who will get you say 30 saves but high 3s ERA/ mid/high 1.3s WHIP that you can take late in the draft. they both could have the exact same saves which help in the saves catagory, but the only difference is one has a good ERA/WHIP and one has a not so good ERA/WHIP. how much of an impact is that not so good ERA/WHIP going to have overall? a starting pitcher with a higher ERA/WHIP is going to have a bigger impact on your overall team ERA/WHIP because there are alot more innings coming from that pitcher.

I knew once I read this that I was going to end up figuring it up. Considering the you have 1250IP and the rest of your staff has 3.50ERA 1.27WHIP:
Team with:
Capps 3.479ERA 1.257WHIP +21SV +39K
Wilson 3.555ERA 1.278WHIP +47SV +67K

Although I disagree with him most of the time, I have to have his back here. The problem with your analysis here is that projecting 47 saves for Wilson is extremely optimistic and projecting only 21 saves for Capps is pessimistic. Save opportunities fluctuate a lot from year to year where you pitch for a great or bad team and you don't get credit for past numbers. The thing that doesn't fluctuate is skill and Capps career 3 ERA and 1.1 WHIP trump Wilson's 4.2 ERA and >1.4 WHIP. Also while there is a K difference, Capps missing most of July and August last year makes it look a lot bigger than it is when you don't view it as a K/9 or K/IP.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:20 am

Does anyone have any insight on the StL job based on Spring Training games so far? I'm assuming Perez will be the closer, but Motte is having a better Spring (warning: small sample size). I'm trying to figure out who'd be a better candidate for saves after Perez, Motte or Franklin. My guess is that it's still a bit up in the air, but thought I'd throw it out there.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:21 am

ramble2 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on the StL job based on Spring Training games so far? I'm assuming Perez will be the closer, but Motte is having a better Spring (warning: small sample size). I'm trying to figure out who'd be a better candidate for saves after Perez, Motte or Franklin. My guess is that it's still a bit up in the air, but thought I'd throw it out there.

It's been covered quite a bit in this thread already. Jury's still out.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:06 pm

John Perotta of BP on 3/15 wrote:Right-hander David Aardsma is being considered for the Mariners' closer job...

Who the heck knows who the closer in Sea is going to be at this point.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby crimson knuckles » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Chad Cordero! My last image of him last year was that game where he couldnt throw it over 80-81....they shut him down right after. It didnt look pretty then.
crimson knuckles
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:58 pm

has anyone heard anything about devine since he hurt his elbow?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Not watching the game live, but did Lindstrom just get hurt?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby soty » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Not watching the game live, but did Lindstrom just get hurt?
I didnt see what happened but yeah he left with the trainer. I am hoping it was just a precautionary thing. :-o
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 pm

soty wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Not watching the game live, but did Lindstrom just get hurt?
I didnt see what happened but yeah he left with the trainer. I am hoping it was just a precautionary thing. :-o

He didn't want to come out.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:43 am

If Lindstrom goes out who is the guy? I heard Leo Nunez as a possibility. Tank?
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers