2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am

bigh0rt wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:I really like the Hawkins pick up. The Astros aren't in the toughest division, though the Cubs are good. Hawkins had great previous success as a Rockie, and is a seasoned vet by now, so the pressure of a closer job shouldn't get to him. The Astros don't really have a mind boggling offense, so a lot of their wins should be 1 or 2 run leads, lending itself to many save opps. I could easily see Hawkins posting 8-12 saves before valverde gets back depending on how many weeks til he returns.

Everytime he has become the closer, he does horrible. For Colorado he wasn't the closer. I didn't have him that year, so I wasn't keeping track. I don't know if he got a chance at closing that year, and that is where he got the 6 blown saves, or if that happened when he was setting up. But I don't trust him as a closer. I think at this point if he is available in your league, and you need saves, you have to take a flyer on him... but just keep in mind that when it comes to saves, he doesn't have a good track record.

Max

The bottom line is that Hawkins is the best arm in the bullpen they have outside of Valverde. He's got experience closing, and has been very good recently. He is the guy you want in Houston for now.

They should move Oswalt to closer. He can impact every game then instead of once every five days.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Fri May 01, 2009 9:51 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:
Everytime he has become the closer, he does horrible. For Colorado he wasn't the closer. I didn't have him that year, so I wasn't keeping track. I don't know if he got a chance at closing that year, and that is where he got the 6 blown saves, or if that happened when he was setting up. But I don't trust him as a closer. I think at this point if he is available in your league, and you need saves, you have to take a flyer on him... but just keep in mind that when it comes to saves, he doesn't have a good track record.

Max

The bottom line is that Hawkins is the best arm in the bullpen they have outside of Valverde. He's got experience closing, and has been very good recently. He is the guy you want in Houston for now.

They should move Oswalt to closer. He can impact every game then instead of once every five days.

I didn't realize the Astros entered the 9th inning of every game with a 1-3 run lead ;)
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby neoforce » Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 am

RedHopeful wrote:After skimming a Yankee's blog, it seems there were a couple of radar guns. The YES network's gun had him in the 80's while the stadium gun had him right around 90-91. It's true his stuff isn't on but it's nothing unusual for Mariano in April. Many feel he's just going through a dead arm period as he didn't pitch during the winter and little in ST.

As far as the grimace, a few others noticed. Seems like he may have tweaked a groin or something but is keeping it to himself. Since no reporters brought it up in the post game, it doesn't sound like much of an issue at this point.

FWIW, at fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?p ... position=P On a sample size of 127 pitches in 2009 vs 969 pitches through all of 2008, pitchfx velocity shows a slight dip:

fastball: 93 --> 91.7
Cutter: 92.6-->91.0

They don't have splits, so I can't look at April last year vs. April this year, but it is conceivable that he always builds velocity as the season goes on. Its also conceivable that he is hurt, or showing his age. He can't pitch forever.

As a Yankee fan, I always worry. As for fantasy matters, I wouldn't waste a bench spot on another Yankee potential closer right now unless I had a very, very deep bench. In a keeper league, with enough roster space, I'd stash Melancon, as was already noted.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby daullaz » Fri May 01, 2009 11:18 am

New Closer Complex up on the front page. Havok again tries to make sense of the messy Natinals bullpen.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Millhouse » Fri May 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Any word on the Lidge throwing session? Madson immediately becomes verrrry valuable if Lidge hits the DL, obviously.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby rentz » Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Millhouse wrote:Any word on the Lidge throwing session? Madson immediately becomes verrrry valuable if Lidge hits the DL, obviously.

thats what ive been waiting to hear, if lidge goes to the dl madson becomes a very hot pickup. i'd rather go with him over hawkins but if lidge doesnt hit the dl hawkins it is.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby silverZ » Fri May 01, 2009 2:45 pm

IF you've got a free spot you might as well pick up Madson and see what happens. 3 IP 1 W 1 S 6 K in the last week.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby s221506 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Denver Post:

Manager Clint Hurdle will make it official today, with Huston Street regaining the closer spot.
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12267879

Looks like it is all but official, Street is the new closer, for now.....
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Fri May 01, 2009 6:27 pm

quitesanemax wrote:verytime he has become the closer, he does horrible. For Colorado he wasn't the closer. I didn't have him that year, so I wasn't keeping track. I don't know if he got a chance at closing that year, and that is where he got the 6 blown saves, or if that happened when he was setting up. But I don't trust him as a closer. I think at this point if he is available in your league, and you need saves, you have to take a flyer on him... but just keep in mind that when it comes to saves, he doesn't have a good track record.

Max

You're right about Hawkins history in the closer role, but I'd still take him over any RP in Washington. At least you know Hawkins has the ability to be decent, he just needs to stay focused when he's pitching in the 9th.

KCollins1304 wrote:They should move Oswalt to closer. He can impact every game then instead of once every five days.

Hey, why not? The Phillies got into the postseason in 2007 when they did that with Myers. :-B
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nolanwood » Fri May 01, 2009 7:48 pm

wildbill wrote:You're right about Hawkins history in the closer role, but I'd still take him over any RP in Washington. At least you know Hawkins has the ability to be decent, he just needs to stay focused when he's pitching in the 9th.

Your opinion on the closer situation in Washington is well documented in this thread...you think they should be avoided.

I think the scenario in Washington is ideal for fantasy managers to monitor. A sub-par team can be a nice place to look for saves because their wins are generally close in nature. This is the perfect opportunity for someone like Beimel (an easy free agent pickup) to snag you a nice amount of saves with a respectable era. Yes, his lower K rate, whip and .baa could all point to trouble in that role; however, I'd still take that gamble any day of the week (interesting to note that aside from the K rate, Latroy's career #'s for .baa, era, and whip are higher than Beimel).

We already know Latroy makes a turdy closer...78 career saves, 47 blown saves. He's blown nearly 40% of his saves. That sounds like a bigger gamble to me, especially for a guy who is only a fill-in.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers