2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RRGL1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Jose Valverde will miss up to three more weeks after having a procedure to remove excess fluid from his calf Thursday.
The Astros closer had 20 mL of fluid drained from his right calf Thursday, but will need a separate, more invasive procedure performed Friday to drain another 60 mL. The slice will need about three weeks to heal, by which point his strained calf muscle should also be healed. That puts his return around the Memorial Day weekend.

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere in all this riff raff
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djack909 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Maris09 needs to find another site to cast insults in. We don't need people like him cluttering up this site.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:43 pm

I really like the Hawkins pick up. The Astros aren't in the toughest division, though the Cubs are good. Hawkins had great previous success as a Rockie, and is a seasoned vet by now, so the pressure of a closer job shouldn't get to him. The Astros don't really have a mind boggling offense, so a lot of their wins should be 1 or 2 run leads, lending itself to many save opps. I could easily see Hawkins posting 8-12 saves before valverde gets back depending on how many weeks til he returns.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ChasingSaves » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Couple of quick notes:

I'm not sure where all this stuff is coming out about Rivera being injured and not closing, but as a Yankee fan I think you guys are wasting your time. He just hasn't pitched enough. There is no reason to think he is injured or in any danger of going to the DL. I have no idea where it is coming from. If he were to go to the DL it would be a cast of characters closing led by Damaso Marte would be my guess, but they all suck anyway.

Tavarez only gave up 2ER and I'm not sure where all you guys are getting that it was THAT bad an outing. Yes he took the loss, but he didn't go Matt Lindstrom on anyone. He walked to many batters and hit a batter, but if not for an error he would have been out of the inning just giving up 1 run, and only 1 hard hit ball the whole inning. Hanrahan came in by the way and preceded to balk runners over, walk a batter and give up a single before getting out of it. And in the 8th Kip Wells walked 2 batters himself. Furthermore this game was tied when Tavarez came in, so not a blown save which I think hurts him a little less. I still think he gets 1 more shot before Beimal comes back.
ChasingSaves
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Howie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 pm

Colorado update:

Corpas has likely lost the closer position to Huston Street, the Denver Post reports.

Recommendation: Corpas' ERA steadily rose to 6.10 since being named closer, and he struggled commanding his slider. He's probably worth hanging onto, at least for a while, to see how Street responds to the promotion.
(Rotowire.com)
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Maris09 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:01 am

djack909 wrote:Maris09 needs to find another site to cast insults in. We don't need people like him cluttering up this site.

Comical dude.

Cast insults? I never insulted anybody. In fact it was others that used insults like shut up, etc.
All I said is don't make useless posts or game commentary. It says that in the freagin title of the thread. Don't you think there's a reason the people who run the site ask for that????
Figure it out.

nolanwood wrote:Tavarez gave up 5 runs, 4 earned - tie ballgame, top of the 9th when he came in.

- J. Tavarez relieved K. Wells
- A. Pujols grounded out to third
- C. Duncan walked
- R. Ankiel doubled to deep left, C. Duncan scored
- J. Thurston walked
- J. LaRue hit by pitch, R. Ankiel to third, J. Thurston to second
- T. Greene singled to shortstop, R. Ankiel scored, J. Thurston to third, J. LaRue to second, J. Thurston scored, J. LaRue to third on catcher J. Flores' fielding error
- J. Hanrahan relieved J. Tavarez
- B. Barden hit for C. Perez
- J. LaRue scored, T. Greene to second on balk
- T. Greene stole third
- B. Barden hit sacrifice fly to right, T. Greene scored
- S. Schumaker singled to shortstop
- R. Ludwick flied out to left
- End of Inning (5 Runs, 3 Hits, 1 Error)

Awesome.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri May 01, 2009 2:17 am

bigh0rt wrote:Mariano was grimacing tonight during his Save, especially after he fielded the come backer, and his velocity again was down in the high 80s. I haven't been listening to NY Radio much the past day or so, but do we think this is something that's going to cause him to miss time or are we still speculating wildly at this point??

I can't see anything yet. Maybe that weird 1 out appearance vs DET where Grandy pwned him has put him off his groove a little. Nothing looks irregular from the box score.

MotorCityKitties wrote:Who would be next in line? Joba?

I wish people would stop thinking that Joba will automatically go into the bullpen this early. I had to listen to a whole game of commentary about it from Rick Suttcliffe. "If he doesn't pitch 95, into the pen with him stat!" :-P

Joba looked really impressive AS A STARTER vs DET. End of story. ;-D

BTW Phil Coke got the 8th in the Angels game with the score tied. Seeing how Veras and Edwar have been craptacular and Melancon is brand new, I'd say Coke is the current next in line RP.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 am

After skimming a Yankee's blog, it seems there were a couple of radar guns. The YES network's gun had him in the 80's while the stadium gun had him right around 90-91. It's true his stuff isn't on but it's nothing unusual for Mariano in April. Many feel he's just going through a dead arm period as he didn't pitch during the winter and little in ST.

As far as the grimace, a few others noticed. Seems like he may have tweaked a groin or something but is keeping it to himself. Since no reporters brought it up in the post game, it doesn't sound like much of an issue at this point.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 01, 2009 8:47 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:I really like the Hawkins pick up. The Astros aren't in the toughest division, though the Cubs are good. Hawkins had great previous success as a Rockie, and is a seasoned vet by now, so the pressure of a closer job shouldn't get to him. The Astros don't really have a mind boggling offense, so a lot of their wins should be 1 or 2 run leads, lending itself to many save opps. I could easily see Hawkins posting 8-12 saves before valverde gets back depending on how many weeks til he returns.

Everytime he has become the closer, he does horrible. For Colorado he wasn't the closer. I didn't have him that year, so I wasn't keeping track. I don't know if he got a chance at closing that year, and that is where he got the 6 blown saves, or if that happened when he was setting up. But I don't trust him as a closer. I think at this point if he is available in your league, and you need saves, you have to take a flyer on him... but just keep in mind that when it comes to saves, he doesn't have a good track record.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 01, 2009 9:20 am

quitesanemax wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:I really like the Hawkins pick up. The Astros aren't in the toughest division, though the Cubs are good. Hawkins had great previous success as a Rockie, and is a seasoned vet by now, so the pressure of a closer job shouldn't get to him. The Astros don't really have a mind boggling offense, so a lot of their wins should be 1 or 2 run leads, lending itself to many save opps. I could easily see Hawkins posting 8-12 saves before valverde gets back depending on how many weeks til he returns.

Everytime he has become the closer, he does horrible. For Colorado he wasn't the closer. I didn't have him that year, so I wasn't keeping track. I don't know if he got a chance at closing that year, and that is where he got the 6 blown saves, or if that happened when he was setting up. But I don't trust him as a closer. I think at this point if he is available in your league, and you need saves, you have to take a flyer on him... but just keep in mind that when it comes to saves, he doesn't have a good track record.

Max

The bottom line is that Hawkins is the best arm in the bullpen they have outside of Valverde. He's got experience closing, and has been very good recently. He is the guy you want in Houston for now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers