2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Houser33 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:45 am

RenPastana wrote:Someone tell me why Lindstrom is still closing for Florida...even if he comes out without any ER today vs the Mets....2 walks and HBP...come on...

About time he's out of the closer's role

Keep in mind that both his blown saves came against the Mets and Phillies best hitters. He has also faced the Mets heart 3 times so far, with only the 1 blown save. Not making excuses, but he's been perfect aside from 3 outings; his first one (rust, injury), 2nd (rust, injury, Mets heart), and the last debachle which came against some hot Philly bats. I doubt there'd be any concern if not for that 7-run mess.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 am

Anybody gonna try the two-headed Beimel/Tavarez monster?

It'll be ungodly ugly but it'll get the job (saves) done :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:14 am

Havok1517 wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:
Field wrote:If Mo were to go on the DL would Marte really be next in line? How quickly would they move Joba back into the pen?

After tonight's performance, I doubt Joba would be moved back into the pen anytime soon, at least not until Wang returns and pitches effectively.

I'd be focusing more Melancon.

Melancon is the best reliever they have besides Mo right now. When Bruney comes back he'll slide back into the 8th inning I suspect, he's been really good this year. Long term, Melancon is the best chance to inherit the role when Mo retires.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neboguy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 am

*Prediction*

Corpas rebounds and gets the next save opp, then holds on to the job for 30 saves this year. Street is dealt to the Nationals in 3 weeks for 2 minor league pitching prospects.
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:
After tonight's performance, I doubt Joba would be moved back into the pen anytime soon, at least not until Wang returns and pitches effectively.

I'd be focusing more Melancon.

Melancon is the best reliever they have besides Mo right now. When Bruney comes back he'll slide back into the 8th inning I suspect, he's been really good this year. Long term, Melancon is the best chance to inherit the role when Mo retires.

Does not compute. Does not compuite.

*Head explodes*
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:59 am

Neboguy wrote:*Prediction*

Corpas rebounds and gets the next save opp, then holds on to the job for 30 saves this year. Street is dealt to the Nationals in 3 weeks for 2 minor league pitching prospects.

1. Isn't Street the expensive one? If so, the Rockies are going to want him in the closers role for this reason... and Washington isn't going to go after him. If anything, they go after Corpas, I would think.

2. If your correct that Street is going to be traded, then the Rockies really need to boost Street's value... the only way to do that is to give him the closer role and hope for the best.

It would seem to make sense for them to put Street in as closer for the next few weeks... or until he blows a few saves. But then again, I've heard a lot of complaints lately about Hurdle's use of the bullpen, so who knows if he will do what makes sense.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:13 am

quitesanemax wrote:

1. Isn't Street the expensive one? If so, the Rockies are going to want him in the closers role for this reason... and Washington isn't going to go after him. If anything, they go after Corpas, I would think.

2. If your correct that Street is going to be traded, then the Rockies really need to boost Street's value... the only way to do that is to give him the closer role and hope for the best.

It would seem to make sense for them to put Street in as closer for the next few weeks... or until he blows a few saves. But then again, I've heard a lot of complaints lately about Hurdle's use of the bullpen, so who knows if he will do what makes sense.

Max

They're both expensive. Good job there Hurdle. ;-7

Also, a team that is clearly not in contention isn't going to be trading for a closer ,especially not one month into the season. The only hope the Nats have right now is their farm system, they would be hard pressed to trade someone out of it, especially for something as useless as a big contract closer.

My prediction: Hurdle keeps changing who the closer is based on what side of the bed he wakes up on, what color socks he wears, the mood he's in etc. while never going to a closer by comittee. Eventually, he'll tire out both pitchers by pitching them so often even when it isn't a save situation. But of course, he'll end up fired by the end of the season.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:29 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:

Max

They're both expensive. Good job there Hurdle. ;-7

Also, a team that is clearly not in contention isn't going to be trading for a closer ,especially not one month into the season. The only hope the Nats have right now is their farm system, they would be hard pressed to trade someone out of it, especially for something as useless as a big contract closer.

My prediction: Hurdle keeps changing who the closer is based on what side of the bed he wakes up on, what color socks he wears, the mood he's in etc. while never going to a closer by comittee. Eventually, he'll tire out both pitchers by pitching them so often even when it isn't a save situation. But of course, he'll end up fired by the end of the season.

forget about physically wearing them out. they both must be stressed out their asses, not knowing who will pitch when or in what situation. i see nervous breakdowns coming :-o
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nolanwood » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Anybody gonna try the two-headed Beimel/Tavarez monster?

I've got Beimel on the bench 'cause I'm desperate for saves; however, I'm beginning to wonder if it may be a waste of space. If Tavarez and/or Wells are successful in save opps in his absence, Beimel might not have the job...
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm

nolanwood wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Anybody gonna try the two-headed Beimel/Tavarez monster?

I've got Beimel on the bench 'cause I'm desperate for saves; however, I'm beginning to wonder if it may be a waste of space. If Tavarez and/or Wells are successful in save opps in his absence, Beimel might not have the job...

I've got Beimel on the DL in my 20 teamer.
I'm tempted to pick up Tavarez to go with him. We count holds too, so that could be a good play. Just need to find the room to mash him in there, and to activate Beimel somehow.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers