2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 am

Havok1517 wrote:Seattle actually make a smart move...

Mariners signed RHP Chad Cordero to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
This makes a lot of sense for both sides. Cordero is a long shot to be an above average reliever this season, but if he does make it back from shoulder surgery, he should have a chance to contend for the closer's role in Seattle. He won't be a candidate to begin the season on the active roster. rotoworld.com

Definitely something to track, but according to Rosenthal, Cordero wouldn't be ready until mid May.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9330 ... 162&ATT=49
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:27 am

rookies and cream wrote:

Mariners signed RHP Chad Cordero to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
This makes a lot of sense for both sides. Cordero is a long shot to be an above average reliever this season, but if he does make it back from shoulder surgery, he should have a chance to contend for the closer's role in Seattle. He won't be a candidate to begin the season on the active roster. rotoworld.com

Definitely something to track, but according to Rosenthal, Cordero wouldn't be ready until mid May.

True, and last I heard he was only pitching around 85-90mph in his workouts but even if he doesn't close it still gives the M's a good arm in the pen for future possibilities because other than Fields and potentially Lowe and David Aardsma (sleeper) they have no high end relievers at all.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:31 am

Havok1517 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:

True, and last I heard he was only pitching around 85-90mph in his workouts but even if he doesn't close it still gives the M's a good arm in the pen for future possibilities because other than Fields and potentially Lowe and David Aardsma (sleeper) they have no high end relievers at all.

Agreed. I also like Aardsma as a sleeper. People seem to forget that he was a dominant closer in college and was drafted in the 1st round.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:24 am

Havok1517 wrote:True, and last I heard he was only pitching around 85-90mph in his workouts but even if he doesn't close it still gives the M's a good arm in the pen for future possibilities because other than Fields and potentially Lowe and David Aardsma (sleeper) they have no high end relievers at all.

Yeah, but wouldn't you think if he won't be ready until May, that in this time he can build his strength up to get back into the 90s?

My question is will he be considered DL eligible or is he going to be headed to the M's minors system?
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Real Deal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 pm

sherrill vs ray update from rotoworld:
George Sherrill-R-Orioles Mar. 13 - 11:09 am et

According to the Baltimore Sun, manager Dave Trembley has told George Sherrill that "he would still be the club's closer but wouldn't get every save opportunity."

Chris Ray will be worked back into the late-inning mix and if healthy figures to eventually unseat Sherrill, but it remains to be seen how quickly he comes back from elbow surgery. "I don't think it would be a good idea to throw me right into the closer's role," Ray said. "And it wouldn't be fair to George. George had a great season last year, and I haven't done anything in a year. So I am more than happy with it."
Source: Baltimore Sun
Related: Chris Ray
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:25 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Definitely something to track, but according to Rosenthal, Cordero wouldn't be ready until mid May.

Agreed. I also like Aardsma as a sleeper. People seem to forget that he was a dominant closer in college and was drafted in the 1st round.

Aardsma can throw gas but I don't know that he has the make-up to be a solid option as an MLB closer. He would be nasty some nights and then just be downright terrible on others.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby jsphlly » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:07 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:What I was trying to say in my long, convoluted post was that no pitcher with a high ERA/WHIP is guaranteed a lot of saves, so don't go into the draft expecting a guy like Wilson to notch top 10 saves numbers.

In any case, it's all about balancing your numbers. One Wilson won't hurt if you have a Capps to balance him out, but getting two Wilsons in trying to catch up on saves late in a draft is a bad idea unless you're very confident in your starting pitching. At that point I'd just save a couple round 18-21 picks on guys like Ray, Ziegler, Devine, or Street, potential closers that will more than likely put up good ratios but don't have a guaranteed ninth inning role. If you pick up two possible closers, chances are good that at least one will end up closing. I'd rather strengthen the other areas of my team than pick up a second ratio-killing RP in the name of chasing saves.

Capps+Wilson: ;-D
Wilson+Lyon: :-t
Wilson+Ray+Ziegler: ;-D

Wilson had a BABIP of .340 last year. While I agree he is not an elite closer, you should expect those ratios to come down a bit.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby markj11 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:43 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i didnt necessarily mean any one closer specifically, but just any closers overall that have a high ERA/WHIP and how much of an effect does that have on your overall team ERA/WHIP. with your closers only having a small number of IP those higher ERA/WHIP are not going to have a big effect on your overall team ERA/WHIP?
let me see if i explain this better. if you have to choose between any 2 closers. one who will get you say 30 saves with a low 2s ERA/low 1.2s WHIP that is drafted before the 10th round.. or another one who will get you say 30 saves but high 3s ERA/ mid/high 1.3s WHIP that you can take late in the draft. they both could have the exact same saves which help in the saves catagory, but the only difference is one has a good ERA/WHIP and one has a not so good ERA/WHIP. how much of an impact is that not so good ERA/WHIP going to have overall? a starting pitcher with a higher ERA/WHIP is going to have a bigger impact on your overall team ERA/WHIP because there are alot more innings coming from that pitcher.

I knew once I read this that I was going to end up figuring it up. Considering the you have 1250IP and the rest of your staff has 3.50ERA 1.27WHIP:
Team with:
Capps 3.479ERA 1.257WHIP +21SV +39K
Wilson 3.555ERA 1.278WHIP +47SV +67K
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby horatio » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Anybody got any more info on this:

Player News (last updated: March 13, 2009)
News: Fuentes (back) will pitch for the first time on Saturday since being sidelined by back spasms last week, the Orange County Register reports.
Spin: He won't be joining Team USA for the second round of the World Baseball Classic, but Fuentes should be OK for the start of the regular season provided that he avoids any other flare-ups. Back injuries have a tendency to linger, however, so we'd recommend stashing away Jose Arredondo as a ninth-inning insurance policy.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:27 pm

horatio wrote:Anybody got any more info on this:

Player News (last updated: March 13, 2009)
News: Fuentes (back) will pitch for the first time on Saturday since being sidelined by back spasms last week, the Orange County Register reports.
Spin: He won't be joining Team USA for the second round of the World Baseball Classic, but Fuentes should be OK for the start of the regular season provided that he avoids any other flare-ups. Back injuries have a tendency to linger, however, so we'd recommend stashing away Jose Arredondo as a ninth-inning insurance policy.

Nope. That seems to be the latest. We should know more after today.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers