2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Centerfielder » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:30 am

Saw this on sportsline about Beimel:

Joe Beimel, RP WAS
News: MLB.com reports that Nationals RP Joe Beimel will become the Nationals' closer once he comes off the 15-day DL next week.

I just picked him up in an 18 team league. Thx for the info. I'm a Nats fan and thought this would probably happen eventually.
Centerfielder
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:52 am

metsfan12 wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:but if someone else rings off 3 saves with perfect pitching before he comes off next week

The Nat's are very unlikely to get 3 wins period before May 6th, let alone 3 save opportunites.
Even if they did, I highly doubt they have the arm in their pen to capable of pulling off multiple clean innings like that.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Maris09 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:27 am

bluejkrew wrote:Is anyone else concerned about how Hurdle is using Corpas??

Exactly.
He's worked 4 out of the last 5 days......NONE of which were save situations. :-?

The 1st game of that string was a tie game in the 9th....but still. 4 games in 5 days, zero of which were save opportunities.
Hurdle is either retarded, or Corpas isn't the closer.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby prateem » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 am

Anyone care to speculate on the Colorado situation because Corpas obviously isnt the man. But who is? Jason Grilli has walked a bunch of batters lately, Huston Street hasnt blown up in his last 4 appearances but before that he was trash, Taylor Buchholz isnt due back for another 5 weeks now that he is on the 60 day DL. Alan Embree actually laid a duece on the field last night in the 8th. There is only one person in the Colorado bullpen who has an ERA below 5.84 right now. His name is Matt Daley and he has pitched a total of 1.0 inning in the major leagues. To his credit he does have 0.00 ERA, though. I guess its still Corpas for now, but seriously is there someone they might bring up because its looking pretty grim for their back end. As for the closers of the future on the first page, Casey Weathers is having Tommy John surgery, and Juan Morillo is actually in the Minnesota Twins bullpen after being picked up on waivers. Its almost as ugly as the Washington situation yet they are a team who might be able to win 80 games.
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 am

Hey thanks for the heads up about Beimel. I snagged him in my 20 teamer.

It surprises me that they sacked Mock from the 8th innings job, maybe they are going to make him back into a starter?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Kingmanarama » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:09 am

Saw this on sportsline about Beimel:

Joe Beimel, RP WAS
News: MLB.com reports that Nationals RP Joe Beimel will become the Nationals' closer once he comes off the 15-day DL next week.

Here's the actual report from MLB.com:

The team will go with a bullpen-by-committee, with right-handers Julian Tavarez and Kip Wells as the late-inning options. Once left-hander Joe Beimel is activated from the disabled list next week, he will most likely be the closer, with Tavarez and Wells becoming the setup men.

"All we are going to do is put the veteran guys in at the end of the game and take the pressure off these young kids -- put them in earlier in the game," manager Manny Acta said.

Of the two, Tavarez has experience as a closer. He saved 11 games for the Pirates in 2003...
Kingmanarama
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MissingOakley » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:03 pm

That mlb article doesn't strongly suggest to me that Beimel has the job -- especially not the quote from Acta. Or am I reading it wrong?
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Kingmanarama » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:15 pm

MissingOakley wrote:That mlb article doesn't strongly suggest to me that Beimel has the job -- especially not the quote from Acta. Or am I reading it wrong?

I don't have that impression, either. Pretty sure MLB.com's reporter is speculating on Beimel, not reporting that the closer's job is absolutely his.
Kingmanarama
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27 pm

The DL Informer wrote:Add to that list, Brad Lidge and his right knee "inflammation." Curious that this is the same knee that he had two arthroscopic meniscus surgeries on (medial and lateral menisectomies). As I said back in February of last year, regarding Lidge, "…two meniscus surgeries in a short period of time is not a good recipe for the health of one’s knee going forward. This cartilage does not regenerate when a menisectomy is performed, so the structure of his knee will never be the same. Hence, he will always be more predisposed to generalized knee pain, tendonitis, and other maladies of the knee."

Thought I’d share this info with people. Madson may have the job a little longer than expected, and considering Madson’s history, which is not too good at closing, I believe, you might want to keep an eye on his backup.

Anyone who doesn't know who the DL Informer is, he is a physical therapist who does a lot of articles like this. I like to get his input on some of these injuries. Hes pretty darn good. At any rate, he seems to hint that this Lidge injury could end up being an ongoing thing this season... just his (professional) opinion though.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:42 pm

My opinion is that Hawkins has had a chance to be closer a few times in the past (Check out Chicago, Baltimore and Colorado as examples), and has done horrible at it. I know, I picked him up a few of those times, and my teams paid! I’m not sure how serious the Valverde injury is… theres a chance that by not taking precautions, the Astros might have made it worse than it had to be. But I would like to get a chance at whoever comes after Hawkins just in case it is an injury that really hinders him. So my question is who do people think would come next after Hawkins if he stumbles for the Astros? I know Brocail is listed as the guy, but his stats don’t look all that good on paper… although he is just coming off the DL. Anyone else that might get the chance, or should I just keep a close eye on Brocail (and Hawkins, and Valverde, of course)?

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers