2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby chem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Gonzales (ATL) went against STL's 2-3-4 with a 1-run lead in the ninth tonight. 1 LH and 2 RH batters. Struck out the side, including Pujols and Ludwick.

His job appears to be perfectly safe.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:47 pm

chem wrote:Gonzales (ATL) went against STL's 2-3-4 with a 1-run lead in the ninth tonight. 1 LH and 2 RH batters. Struck out the side, including Pujols and Ludwick.

I'm sure he appreciates your assessment.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Magnus_CA wrote:
chem wrote:Gonzales (ATL) went against STL's 2-3-4 with a 1-run lead in the ninth tonight. 1 LH and 2 RH batters. Struck out the side, including Pujols and Ludwick.

:-b
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby chem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Magnus_CA wrote:

I guess this thread is 169 pages long because 3 out of 4 posts are a total waste of space. Including this one.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rich101682 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:39 pm

Street: FAIL
Corpas: FAIL

Should I be looking at Jason Grilli?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Saw this on sportsline about Beimel:

Joe Beimel, RP WAS
News: MLB.com reports that Nationals RP Joe Beimel will become the Nationals' closer once he comes off the 15-day DL next week.

Analysis: With this news, Beimel is definitely worth adding in deeper mixed leagues, but don't get too excited, as he does pitch for the awful Nationals and has just three career saves. His pitching numbers in save opportunities are superb though, with a 0.83 ERA in 3 2/3 innings over four games this season, so there's definitely a chance he could help you out.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 pm

chem wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:

I guess this thread is 169 pages long because 3 out of 4 posts are a total waste of space. Including this one.

Sounds about right...However, don't lose sight of the fact that about 50% of that "waste of space" is game commentary. The other 50% consists of posts complaining about what should or shouldn't be in this thread. You're 2 for 2 tonight. ;-D :-P

If you think one good or bad outing from any one player makes him safe/unsafe you are delusional. Soriano will get his chances because he's good enough, he's smart enough and doggone it...
Last edited by Magnus_CA on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bluejkrew » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:05 am

Is anyone else concerned about how Hurdle is using Corpas??

Yea, he did lose the game tonight. But Hurdle had him pitch the last couple days when he WASN'T NEEDED AT ALL!! And no, it's not like he hasn't pitched in a while before these last 3 games...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7817/gamelog;_ylt=Ai8FCzETguFCkp5.OOPwwneFCLcF

Unless a closer change was made that hasn't been announced, I don't see any sense in this.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:21 am

bluejkrew wrote:Is anyone else concerned about how Hurdle is using Corpas??

Yea, he did lose the game tonight. But Hurdle had him pitch the last couple days when he WASN'T NEEDED AT ALL!! And no, it's not like he hasn't pitched in a while before these last 3 games...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7817/gamelog;_ylt=Ai8FCzETguFCkp5.OOPwwneFCLcF

Unless a closer change was made that hasn't been announced, I don't see any sense in this.

No worse than the way the Sox are using Paps. Yesterday's appearance was unnecessary. Today, was treatment as usual as closers tend to pitch in the 9th in tie ball games at home.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:Saw this on sportsline about Beimel:

Joe Beimel, RP WAS
News: MLB.com reports that Nationals RP Joe Beimel will become the Nationals' closer once he comes off the 15-day DL next week.

Analysis: With this news, Beimel is definitely worth adding in deeper mixed leagues, but don't get too excited, as he does pitch for the awful Nationals and has just three career saves. His pitching numbers in save opportunities are superb though, with a 0.83 ERA in 3 2/3 innings over four games this season, so there's definitely a chance he could help you out.

I agree Beimel will likely close when he comes back but if someone else rings off 3 saves with perfect pitching before he comes off next week I can't see why they would remove that person as closer. Naming a guy on the DL the closer, when he wasn't the closer prior to going on the DL and has virtually no closing experience makes no sense to me at all. Was the original source of this from the Nationals or a reporter speculation? Don't get me wrong, I agree Beimel is the guy to get. Maybe the Nats name him closer simply because he is the one guy in the mix that can't blow it for them (being on the DL and all).
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers