2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Popular opinion report

as of right now on Yahoo

Beimel 2840 adds
Julian 665
Kip Wells 233
Mock - dont see him on the added RP list (the herds have probably moved on)

Now that's just yahoo but I bet the ratios are the same across other leagues/host sites

DL space is optimal if youre deciding on adding Beimel ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Two_for_the_Money » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Is that a PLUS league feature? It's nice to see the market trends, but adding a DL guy seems risky to me. Julian has looked real good so far.

converge241 wrote:Popular opinion report

as of right now on Yahoo

Beimel 2840 adds
Julian 665
Kip Wells 233

Now that's just yahoo but I bet the ratios are the same across other leagues/host sites

Two_for_the_Money
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Two_for_the_Money wrote:Is that a PLUS league feature? It's nice to see the market trends, but adding a DL guy seems risky to me. Julian has looked real good so far.

converge241 wrote:Popular opinion report

as of right now on Yahoo

Beimel 2840 adds
Julian 665
Kip Wells 233

You can look at the trend in non-Plus Leagues if you go to the research tab at the top and click transaction trends in the drop down (even though it is grayed out). I don't think you can get there by other routes since it is supposed to be a Plus feature like you mentioned.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Yes, Yahoo plus

You can see the top few in free leagues which is nice but its limited to just a few and total buzz (meaning combined activity dropped, added, traded)

Its a nice little thing to keep track of the popular opinion

like if you are waiting on guy x and see him start rising the ranks you cant wait much longer

its real time for yahoo I think CBS and ESPN have it but its updated infrequently

Anyway Nats could get something in trade possibly by letting Julian close and increase his value then ship him off - hes obviously not in the long term plans so maybe they pimp him (like Col wanted to do with Street let him close to hopefully increase the market for him until they just couldnt). Not that they could get the world for julian but a decent prospect they wouldnt have had otherwise
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mt99808 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:13 pm

converge241 wrote:Yes, Yahoo plus

You can see the top few in free leagues which is nice but its limited to just a few and total buzz (meaning combined activity dropped, added, traded)

like if you are waiting on guy x and see him start rising the ranks you cant wait much longer

its real time for yahoo I think CBS and ESPN have it but its updated infrequently

Anyway Nats could get something in trade possibly by letting Julian close and increase his value then ship him off - hes obviously not in the long term plans so maybe they pimp him (like Col wanted to do with Street let him close to hopefully increase the market for him until they just couldnt). Not that they could get the world for julian but a decent prospect they wouldnt have had otherwise

Its hard to get a good prospect for a good reliever. The Nats aren't getting anything but a low low level prospect at best for Tavarez.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm only picking up Beimel if I have an open DL spot and I'm not touching Tavarez or Wells until I see one of them come in and get a Save. But that's just me.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:29 pm

mt99808 wrote:
converge241 wrote:Yes, Yahoo plus

Its hard to get a good prospect for a good reliever. The Nats aren't getting anything but a low low level prospect at best for Tavarez.

Right decent low level prospect, someone they wouldnt have otherwise..Teams do this when they have someone not around long term but a contender might see some value in him meanwhile they have someone else in house for the role down the line

face it for some teams their chances are the same whether they let the vet close and pimp his value or the kid so might as well get another body...

Marte got Pitt more than they would have had by closing in place of capps while pitt had other options to close
Kevin Gregg from Fla to cubs..Fla had plenty of other options but he had more value in the role
Was said at the time that Oakland was letting Embree close when he did to try and get something for him as well

others, etc.

even though its been proven its not wise to do it plenty of baseball GMs and offices get fooled by the "closer role" and teams do try to use that is all

Nats might not get ANYTHING for him if they tried to do it, it doesnt mean they WONT is all :) Not trying to argue just want it to be known what I was saying (and that is im not saying it WILL happen)
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:29 pm

anyone w/ an update on Brad Lidge's knee?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby ChasingSaves » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 pm

My sources say Jose Valverde going to the DL like I predicted. Hawk is probably the guy. Should be at least.
ChasingSaves
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MissingOakley » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:06 pm

Yes, Valverde --> DL is on rotoworld. They're saying Hawkins.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... LB&id=3690
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers