2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby DSheppard » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 am

I just wanted to make an observation on frankie francisco.

His last 22.2 innings, obviously running into last year: 0.0 ERA with 9 hits, 30 strikeouts and 5 walks.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:13 am

On the Nats stuff, what about Julian Tavarez? He has something like 12k's in 8 innings?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:31 am

DSheppard wrote:I just wanted to make an observation on frankie francisco.

His last 22.2 innings, obviously running into last year: 0.0 ERA with 9 hits, 30 strikeouts and 5 walks.

this year's soria
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Postby mtxdevil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:14 pm

From Rotoworld:

Joel Hanrahan has been removed as the Nationals' closer.
The team is expected to go to a closer-by-committee for now, led by Julian Tavarez and Kip Wells. However, odds are that Joe Beimel will take over the job when he returns from the DL next week. Mixed leaguers should consider adding Beimel, who has the best chance at holding onto the job once healthy.

Does their call on Beimel seem correct? What's the consensus here?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:20 pm

mtxdevil wrote:From Rotoworld:

The team is expected to go to a closer-by-committee for now, led by Julian Tavarez and Kip Wells. However, odds are that Joe Beimel will take over the job when he returns from the DL next week. Mixed leaguers should consider adding Beimel, who has the best chance at holding onto the job once healthy.

Earlier today rotoworld (I think) suggested Kip Wells, and as I mentioned a few days ago, I like Tavarez. He's been striking people out, and he has the most (albeit limited) experience closing.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Neboguy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I'd say Beimel comes through with 10-15 saves before they trade for Huston Street . . .
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Please Leave Feedback!

Neboguy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:35 pm

from the Washington Nat's website:

PHILADELPHIA -- On Tuesday, one day after watching the bullpen blow a four-run lead, the Nationals decided that right-hander Joel Hanrahan will no longer be their closer and that Garrett Mock is out as the eighth-inning setup man.

The team will go with a bullpen-by-committee, with right-handers Julian Tavarez and Kip Wells as the late-inning options. Once left-hander Joe Beimel is activated from the disabled list next week, he will most likely be the closer, with Tavarez and Wells becoming the setup men.

In the bottom of the eighth on Monday, the Nats had an 11-7 lead, but Mock and Hanrahan couldn't get the job done.

With Mock on the mound, Shane Victorino hit a sacrifice fly to bring in Pedro Feliz and make it 11-8. After Chase Utley singled in Jimmy Rollins, Hanrahan entered the game and couldn't find the strike zone, walking both Ryan Howard and Jayson Werth on 10 pitches.

Raul Ibanez then came to the plate. Hanrahan felt he had no choice but to throw a fastball, and he paid the price, as Ibanez hit a grand slam. It was Hanrahan's third blown save of the season.

"I hope I don't wear out this word, but, again, it was deflating," manager Manny Acta said. "Our offense just battled all day and scored enough runs. We played so hard for eight innings to score enough runs. You lose the game in one inning, it's just tough for the whole team."

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/new ... p&c_id=was
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby bluejkrew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:From Rotoworld:

Earlier today rotoworld (I think) suggested Kip Wells, and as I mentioned a few days ago, I like Tavarez. He's been striking people out, and he has the most (albeit limited) experience closing.

I was actually thinking Wells > Tavarez, only b/c Tavarez was not so great last night as well (gave up 2 hits in .1 inning) and also has been used alot for 1 out appearances only. I only have one available spot though, and dunno who to pick up between Wells and Beimel...
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chem » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:59 pm

When he returns, I think Beimel will get the job. They like Tavarez as middle relief, and Beimel was excellent as a setup man. He's earned it. Wells is a big question mark, but he could be the new setup man.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby loyal_bushie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Anyone else with thoughts on the Nats situation? I'd hate to pick up Beimel on the DL only to see someone healthy like Kip Wells get two to three saves and then just run away with it. Wells has looked pretty good over the first few weeks and might he be a SP to RP success story? Does the fact that Beimel is a lefty make it more likely they would stick with someone like Wells if he has some minor success in the role temporarily?

As for Tavarez, I wouldn't trust him to close a door (despite his flattering numbers thus far).
loyal_bushie
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers