2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm

What I was trying to say in my long, convoluted post was that no pitcher with a high ERA/WHIP is guaranteed a lot of saves, so don't go into the draft expecting a guy like Wilson to notch top 10 saves numbers.

In any case, it's all about balancing your numbers. One Wilson won't hurt if you have a Capps to balance him out, but getting two Wilsons in trying to catch up on saves late in a draft is a bad idea unless you're very confident in your starting pitching. At that point I'd just save a couple round 18-21 picks on guys like Ray, Ziegler, Devine, or Street, potential closers that will more than likely put up good ratios but don't have a guaranteed ninth inning role. If you pick up two possible closers, chances are good that at least one will end up closing. I'd rather strengthen the other areas of my team than pick up a second ratio-killing RP in the name of chasing saves.

Capps+Wilson: ;-D
Wilson+Lyon: :-t
Wilson+Ray+Ziegler: ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:42 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i didnt necessarily mean any one closer specifically, but just any closers overall that have a high ERA/WHIP and how much of an effect does that have on your overall team ERA/WHIP. with your closers only having a small number of IP those higher ERA/WHIP are not going to have a big effect on your overall team ERA/WHIP?
let me see if i explain this better. if you have to choose between any 2 closers. one who will get you say 30 saves with a low 2s ERA/low 1.2s WHIP that is drafted before the 10th round.. or another one who will get you say 30 saves but high 3s ERA/ mid/high 1.3s WHIP that you can take late in the draft. they both could have the exact same saves which help in the saves catagory, but the only difference is one has a good ERA/WHIP and one has a not so good ERA/WHIP. how much of an impact is that not so good ERA/WHIP going to have overall? a starting pitcher with a higher ERA/WHIP is going to have a bigger impact on your overall team ERA/WHIP because there are alot more innings coming from that pitcher.

I read this a couple years ago so take it with a large grain of salt. There was a comparison of a year of Papelbon vs. a year of Todd Jones (yes, the extremes). There was a substantial hit on your ERA & WHIP.

That being said, aslong as you don't have a roster of total ERA/WHIP killers as closers you should be fine. You can also use the strategy of drafting middle relief guys with good ratios to try to balance out the closers.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:44 pm

Corpas with a solid inning today. Meanwhile in an intersquad game, Street gave up a homer to Street. Really looking like Manny might be given the reins to the closer's spot at the start of the year.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kemper5 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm

I say grab Corpas late..I got him in the 25th round, but think his stock is going to start to rise
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:12 pm

kemper5 wrote:I say grab Corpas late..I got him in the 25th round, but think his stock is going to start to rise

Corpas was given the job at the beginning of last season and just stunk it up. Any reason to think he'll be able to handle it? If i remember correctly, he did get better Post-Allstar break last year
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby clevername » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:48 pm

with Street continuing to stink it up I don't know that I'd want to touch either one of them right now.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 am

kemper5 wrote:I say grab Corpas late..I got him in the 25th round, but think his stock is going to start to rise

I had an early draft and Corpas wasn't even drafted. I'd guess he is a FA in most leagues. Pick him up.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slagbot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:28 am

jcook3127 wrote:
kab21 wrote:
slagbot wrote:so right now i've got jenks, marmol, percival and gregg. any opinion on whether to drop gregg for balfour or should i stand pat? i have a feeling marmol will be solid (dude was lights out last year, but the setup-to-closer transition could mess with his mind), and i'm worried about percy's health. seems like 6/half-dozen to me, wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

How confident are you that Balfour is next inline in TB? Or is it Wheeler? Or is it somehow Izzy (it sounds impossible doesn't it)? Or situationally Howell (times when lefties would be up in the 9th)?

As I see it you have 2 closers (jenks and CHC) locked down and an iffy one? Balfour is probably a better option Gregg but you need to be confident that Lou won't do anything crazy with his closers.

Very good analysis...at first I agreed with the orig. poster's idea but I like this logic very much....keep CHC open and just roll the dice on TB

many thanks for the help -- standing pat on securing cubs saves and maybe grabbing some from TB is a good call. somehow frank francisco wound up clearing waivers so i just snagged him (dropped randy winn, who was gonna be riding the bench on my team anyway.) if percy gets hurt, i'll just have to be quick on the draw. seems like the league is a slow reactor so far.

thanks!
slagbot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:06 am

Zhangman1 wrote:Corpas was given the job at the beginning of last season and just stunk it up. Any reason to think he'll be able to handle it? If i remember correctly, he did get better Post-Allstar break last year

Supposedly yes - I've read a few insider stories where they say he's pitching like he did 2 years ago. Last season, he supposedly became timid and refused to throw inside. Consequently, his pretty good slider on the outside corner didn't have as a large effect on hitters when he was throwing a sinker or fastball inside.

I'm not sure why people are confident in Street at the moment. He's been bad plus the injury cloud is hanging around him once again. At some point, Corpas may falter and Huston will be given the keys considering Colorado did bring him in and is paying him over 4 mil a year. However, until that happens, Manny seems to be the guy to own.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 am

Seattle actually make a smart move...

Mariners signed RHP Chad Cordero to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
This makes a lot of sense for both sides. Cordero is a long shot to be an above average reliever this season, but if he does make it back from shoulder surgery, he should have a chance to contend for the closer's role in Seattle. He won't be a candidate to begin the season on the active roster. rotoworld.com
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers