2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Magnus_CA » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:25 am

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:Well, Leyland said Zumaya's being called up this weekend. Whats everyones views on him?

Im definitely thinking hell start off getting the 7th/8th inning duties. At first hell prolly just come in whenever they need an inning to see where hes at and once he shows his velocity is back hell be put in an important spot to test his metal and if/when he proves hes healthy, hell takeover as the setup man and once Rodney falters, hell step into the closer role. Hes definitely the tigers closer of the future so i doubt they jerk him around or pile up meaningless innings on his already injury plagued arm. Zumaya was hitting about 95 MPH on Thurs and said he feels 100%... thats definitely a good sign!

I personally dumped Brandon Wood for him since wood is being misused terribly in LA.

What makes everyone think this is going to be Zumaya's year? He's had every chance to take job and can't stay healthy. I'd love to be wrong but IMO he's headed for early retirement.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:31 am

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:Well, Leyland said Zumaya's being called up this weekend. Whats everyones views on him?

Im definitely thinking hell start off getting the 7th/8th inning duties. At first hell prolly just come in whenever they need an inning to see where hes at and once he shows his velocity is back hell be put in an important spot to test his metal and if/when he proves hes healthy, hell takeover as the setup man and once Rodney falters, hell step into the closer role. Hes definitely the tigers closer of the future so i doubt they jerk him around or pile up meaningless innings on his already injury plagued arm. Zumaya was hitting about 95 MPH on Thurs and said he feels 100%... thats definitely a good sign!

I personally dumped Brandon Wood for him since wood is being misused terribly in LA.

It will be difficult for Leyland to take the job off Rodney if he keeps doing well.
Zumaya should eventually end up with it, but you never know.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 am

AussieDodger wrote:

It will be difficult for Leyland to take the job off Rodney if he keeps doing well.

QFT about Rodney...but i'm not even sure Zumaya will ever get a serious sniff at being the closer of the future...i think Ryan Perry is more likely at this point (they both need to get their walks down). how much stock are you going to put into a guy with his injury history, poor control and lack of mental fortitude
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby daullaz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:03 am

New Closer Complex available on the front page, breaking down the new-look Washington Nationals bullpen. ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:20 am

daullaz wrote:New Closer Complex available on the front page, breaking down the new-look Washington Nationals bullpen. ;-D

I knew that was Havok as soon as he said "Let's trade Street to Washington" :-D

Interesting article for sure. Shows that Washington are sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment until something else comes up (probably not as ridiculous as the 2007 Tampa Bay bullpen though ;-) ).
Zinicola looks like garbage to me from his numbers, but you never know with relievers.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby davdav » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Why hasn't heath bell played since the 19th? Are they not using him?
davdav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Im not saying i think its the best move for Detroit but it seems to be the direction theyd like to go toward. And all of this speculation is health pending. My league counts k/9 so worst case, i hang onto him and hopefully he proves to be healthy. IMO, if he proves hes healthy and his velocity stays in the 95mph range, he moves up the ranks of that bullpen very quickly.

QFT about Rodney...but i'm not even sure Zumaya will ever get a serious sniff at being the closer of the future...i think Ryan Perry is more likely at this point (they both need to get their walks down). how much stock are you going to put into a guy with his injury history, poor control and lack of mental fortitude
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:43 pm

davdav wrote:Why hasn't heath bell played since the 19th? Are they not using him?
I don't think they've had a save situation... start stressing when someone else gets saves. He'll probably pitch tonight anyway.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:04 pm

I had asked a question about Chris Ray vs Joel Zumaya....but forgot to mention Rafael Soriano. Is he the best option of the 3?
Last edited by bman on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MotorCityKitties » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

I agree. Leyland is very loyal, at times to a fault. I see him sticking with Rodney for quite a while. During Zumaya's best years he's been a set-up guy that gets the team out of tough spots. I see Leyland wanting to use him like that again. It's no sure thing that he's the closer this year or ever.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers