2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:28 pm

joecahill wrote:Don't get your hopes up with Coffey. I've watched this guy struggle for years in Cincinnati...he's just a rounder, redheaded, less "Beauty and the Beast"-looking version of Derrick Turnbow. Buy with caution.

Yeah. you and Havok fall into the same camp. I think there is some truth to this, since the only time he has allowed a run in a Milw uni is when he comes in to save a game in the 9th. He is certainly one of the lower tier backup guys, but with Hoffman's age, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with about 10 chances by year's end. And if you are chasing saves, that's valuable.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheBigEasy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
TheBigEasy wrote:BJ just got rocked...get Downs warm in your pen.

careful. as crazy as it sounds, I still think BJ has one more life. that said, don't know if downs is the guy, he has established his role in the 7th and 8th and has shown an ability to get more than 3 outs. I have serious doubts that he would be the guy.

I don't follow the Jays so I'm looking for you to help a guy out...who do you think would close if BJ got yanked?
TheBigEasy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby da bears » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Downs gave up a run the inning before Ryan blew up, doubt anything changes off of that unless there's something wrong with BJ besides just sucking. Was Gonzalez used in the 8th tonight just as a match up guy or was this a sign of a closer change in Atlanta?
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:35 pm

killertofu2222 wrote:btw, scott downs looks really good this year, don't know what he did tonight, but its like having an extra spot start on your team during the week with all of his other counting stats.

That I agree with, I just don't think he's the guy to get saves if BJ goes down.

This is alos going to sound crazy, but is Jason Frasor the guy? Cito loves to have downs in the 7th and 8th.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 pm

smoovethug wrote:Gonzalez' spot came up in the 9th and he was pinch hit for.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Thanks. Silly National League... :-b
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigsky » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 pm

killertofu2222 wrote:
bigsky wrote:Thanks once again for clogging jackasses. My assessment, FWIW, stands; don't drop Hawkins quite yet. See how this situation plays out over the next few opportunities, how Valverde pitches. I seriously doubt Hawkins holds, but there are people out there looking for every opportunity to pick up a few saves.

That being said, a pun, at it's base form is a play on words. For you two, there's a play on a bird motif there. While not a good one, I admit(ted), it's a pun, or at least and attempt to (and this is Webster here, smart guys) "juxtapose (big word, I know, but stay with me) connect, or bring out two or more possible applications of the word or words, usually in humorous way."

Definitely not a good one, but you missed the mark in that you took up space and time to comment on it. This is the "2009 CLOSERS THREAD" (thanks again, Havok) not "2009 I Got a C in English Thread." Please, you and your two s**t posts and the bong toting Phish-head save it for something useful. Better yet, just save it.

well 4 things.
1. relax. i wasn't making fun of you. all i pointed out was i don't think its a pun. sorry :-t
2. the highest english class i've ever been in was AP English in 11th grade. (Seminar in 9th but AP was college credits.) final avg was a 92.
3. You havn't read all my posts, i don't normally comment in the closers thread because all it is is stuff like this, arguing, crap no one wants to read, and once in a while something useful. I have posted 3 times in it, your one post putting me down is longer than both.
4. Whats wrong with smoking bongs? and Phish for that matter. its better than country music and squirrel hunting.

i will go back to only reading this thread.

Honestly dont really care about the pun stuff, was simply making a point. The issue I had was with clogging the post with stuff irrelevant to closing. No hard feelings.

Hawk with the save tonight, so sumpin aint right with Valverde which was really my point from the get-go, hence my (rare) response to a previous question. Hold onto Hawkins for a bit. Valverde was "unavailable" tonight after back-to-back appearances, but it's still Phishy to me.
bigsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:10 pm

He took a shot off his leg the other night... That's why.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 pm

No doubt in my mind Downs would be the guy to replace Ryan if it comes to that....

Cito has already said as much.

I, too, think BJ gets one more go, he needs to close out the next 3-4 opps though w/ ease. If he blows 1 of the next 2, I think a change would be made....at least temporarily.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 pm

As a Jays fan, I really hope it won't be Downs when BJ is replaced (he's too valuable in his middle relief role), but it probably will be. Jason Frasor is basically unstoppable right now, so keep an eye on him, too.

I also suspect BJ gets one more of these bad outings before he is replaced.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mt99808 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 am

The Jays should option BJ to AAA ... not like anybody is going to claim him and if they do good riddance on that contract.

I too think that Jason Frasor may sneak in as the guy or as part of a closer by committee with Downs. He does have a mid 90's fastball and some pretty dirty secondary pitches but he's just never been able to put it all together. He's been very impressive so far this season.

Can anybody comment on what happened in the Cards game? I see Perez came in for 2 outs in the 9th giving up 1 hit but then Franklin came in for the final out.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers