2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby silverZ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Another blown save for BJ Ryan. 3 runs this time. How many more chances is he gonna get? It's painful to watch.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EP3 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 pm

scott downs has got to be looking better and better
EP3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bluejkrew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 pm

smoovethug wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:
EDIT: Didn't factor in that the game was tied until the top of the 9th. Still surprised that Gonzalez wasn't left in to finish though...

In a 0-0 tie with runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs you'd want your pitcher to hit?

uhmmm...yesss ;-7
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheBigEasy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:00 pm

BJ just got rocked...get Downs warm in your pen.
TheBigEasy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Nails86 wrote:Well, as I said a couple days.... (It was written off as Game Commentary by some moronic poster) It appears that we have ourselves a new interim closer. Villanueva comes in to set up Coffey in the 8th. Coffey comes in a records the save. He recorded two K's, but it was not clean. Werth took him a solo HR, and he allowed two other hits. That was the first run Coffey has allowed since becoming a Brewer last year.

Of course, Trevor is due to come back soon, but we all know that he isn't the most reliable at this point in his career.

This is what I said on April 18 (which you were nice enough to thank me for), and I am sticking to this story. Coffey is the handcuff to have in Milw, not Villanueva.

Steve-o wrote:
Whalewang wrote:I'm guessing it will be DiFelice who will get the next crack.

Re: Milw closer and Villy pitching in the 7th, I think he is out as interim as well. However, I think it is Coffey who gets the call, not DiFelice. Coffey has not allowed a run since he was added to the Brewers roster last year. Macha has been using him consistently in the high leverage situations. Additionally, he was a closer for Cincy for about 3 weeks, so he has some experience.

That's just my gut feeling, not anything I have read.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nails86 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:10 pm

Steve-O-
That is right. I agreed with you before the other night and then I said that it had become official after the 8 out save vs. the Mets. Coffey is the closer for now. Good work Steve.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 pm

TheBigEasy wrote:BJ just got rocked...get Downs warm in your pen.

careful. as crazy as it sounds, I still think BJ has one more life. that said, don't know if downs is the guy, he has established his role in the 7th and 8th and has shown an ability to get more than 3 outs. I have serious doubts that he would be the guy.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joecahill » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Don't get your hopes up with Coffey. I've watched this guy struggle for years in Cincinnati...he's just a rounder, redheaded, less "Beauty and the Beast"-looking version of Derrick Turnbow. Buy with caution.
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby killertofu2222 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 pm

bigsky wrote:Thanks once again for clogging jackasses. My assessment, FWIW, stands; don't drop Hawkins quite yet. See how this situation plays out over the next few opportunities, how Valverde pitches. I seriously doubt Hawkins holds, but there are people out there looking for every opportunity to pick up a few saves.

That being said, a pun, at it's base form is a play on words. For you two, there's a play on a bird motif there. While not a good one, I admit(ted), it's a pun, or at least and attempt to (and this is Webster here, smart guys) "juxtapose (big word, I know, but stay with me) connect, or bring out two or more possible applications of the word or words, usually in humorous way."

Definitely not a good one, but you missed the mark in that you took up space and time to comment on it. This is the "2009 CLOSERS THREAD" (thanks again, Havok) not "2009 I Got a C in English Thread." Please, you and your two s**t posts and the bong toting Phish-head save it for something useful. Better yet, just save it.

well 4 things.
1. relax. i wasn't making fun of you. all i pointed out was i don't think its a pun. sorry :-t
2. the highest english class i've ever been in was AP English in 11th grade. (Seminar in 9th but AP was college credits.) final avg was a 92.
3. You havn't read all my posts, i don't normally comment in the closers thread because all it is is stuff like this, arguing, crap no one wants to read, and once in a while something useful. I have posted 3 times in it, your one post putting me down is longer than both.
4. Whats wrong with smoking bongs? and Phish for that matter. its better than country music and squirrel hunting.

i will go back to only reading this thread.

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby killertofu2222 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm

btw, scott downs looks really good this year, don't know what he did tonight, but its like having an extra spot start on your team during the week with all of his other counting stats.

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers