2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby twistedude » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Any word on the Rockies closer situation? Predictions on Corpas vs. Street?
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jcook3127 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:15 pm

kab21 wrote:
slagbot wrote:so right now i've got jenks, marmol, percival and gregg. any opinion on whether to drop gregg for balfour or should i stand pat? i have a feeling marmol will be solid (dude was lights out last year, but the setup-to-closer transition could mess with his mind), and i'm worried about percy's health. seems like 6/half-dozen to me, wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

How confident are you that Balfour is next inline in TB? Or is it Wheeler? Or is it somehow Izzy (it sounds impossible doesn't it)? Or situationally Howell (times when lefties would be up in the 9th)?

As I see it you have 2 closers (jenks and CHC) locked down and an iffy one? Balfour is probably a better option Gregg but you need to be confident that Lou won't do anything crazy with his closers.

Very good analysis...at first I agreed with the orig. poster's idea but I like this logic very much....keep CHC open and just roll the dice on TB
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

surferguy wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
clevername wrote:everyone forgets Batista has closed before.

If all Seattle wants is a closer to work while they get Fields ready he's tailor made for the job.

I agree and high profile college closers have actually been okay in making a successful transition to the majors right away. Prior to last year, Chad Cordero and Huston Street were some of the best closers in the league and they barely pitched at all in the minors. Fields is likely their best option and he's ready in terms of polish, poise, and stuff. One question might be starting his ARB clock this early while they aren't going to compete but this might be a step in the right direction if they do close with Fields.

Anyone know what's up with Fields. I checked Seattle's website but there is little mention of Fields. Where is he?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_sea
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Marmol did not look good in WBC (2 games) and just got the L.

Gregg has yet to be scored upon this spring.

Just saying...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:46 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Marmol did not look good in WBC (2 games) and just got the L.

Gregg has yet to be scored upon this spring.

Just saying...

That game was awesome.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 am

something ive always wondered. when it comes to closers how much does it matter for their ERA/WHIP? if a pitcher has an ERA in the high 3's and a WHIP in the high 1.3's but 40+ saves would he be considered one of the better closers? how much of an effect does a relievers ERA/WHIP have on your overall ERA/WHIP?
someone like Brian Wilson for example. last season had 4.62 ERA/1.44 WHIP but 41 saves, along with 67 K in 62 IP. i do think he improves on his ERA/WHIP, but how should one rank someone like Wilson, or other closers with the type of stats i mentioned? ofcorse one would rather have a closer with lower ERA/WHIP but i assume its better to take a closer with high ERA/WHIP and 40 saves over a closer with lower ERA/WHIP and say only 25-30 saves.. maybe someone like Matt Capps for example.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 am

SpecialFNK wrote:something ive always wondered. when it comes to closers how much does it matter for their ERA/WHIP? if a pitcher has an ERA in the high 3's and a WHIP in the high 1.3's but 40+ saves would he be considered one of the better closers? how much of an effect does a relievers ERA/WHIP have on your overall ERA/WHIP?
someone like Brian Wilson for example. last season had 4.62 ERA/1.44 WHIP but 41 saves, along with 67 K in 62 IP. i do think he improves on his ERA/WHIP, but how should one rank someone like Wilson, or other closers with the type of stats i mentioned? ofcorse one would rather have a closer with lower ERA/WHIP but i assume its better to take a closer with high ERA/WHIP and 40 saves over a closer with lower ERA/WHIP and say only 25-30 saves.. maybe someone like Matt Capps for example.

i'm sure one of our resident Fantasy Experts can tell us (heck...i can do it i just dont feel like searching for the stats and crunching the numbers)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kemper5 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:54 am

Just saw this on the Street/Corpas situation per Denver Post/Rotoworld

Manny Corpas-R-Rockies Mar. 11 - 9:34 am et

The Denver Post reports that Manny Corpas "will be the clear leader in the closer's competition" if he pitches well over his next few outings.
Huston Street's sore quadriceps and early struggles have opened the door for Corpas to reclaim ninth-inning duties in Colorado, but the position battle figures to last for most of spring training.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:47 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:something ive always wondered. when it comes to closers how much does it matter for their ERA/WHIP? if a pitcher has an ERA in the high 3's and a WHIP in the high 1.3's but 40+ saves would he be considered one of the better closers? how much of an effect does a relievers ERA/WHIP have on your overall ERA/WHIP?

Job security and injury history matter more than pure saves numbers, which vary year to year for no particular reason for closers outside the top tier. Take Jenks for example. 40 saves for two years pitching 65 and 69 innings, then 30 saves in '08 pitching 61 innings.

With Capps you have to worry about last year's "internal rotation deficit" (sounds like something the Rangers have. Eh? Eh? :-B ) that sidelined him for a couple months. If he stays healthy it's more or less a crapshoot who will get more save ops, since they both have good job security. But then there's Wilson's ratios being much better in save ops than in non-save ops. In the end, it comes down to Capps' injury history vs. how Wilson will be handled out of the pen in '09. Capps probably won't get significantly injured, and Wilson will probably be handled much the same, and that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:29 pm

i didnt necessarily mean any one closer specifically, but just any closers overall that have a high ERA/WHIP and how much of an effect does that have on your overall team ERA/WHIP. with your closers only having a small number of IP those higher ERA/WHIP are not going to have a big effect on your overall team ERA/WHIP?
let me see if i explain this better. if you have to choose between any 2 closers. one who will get you say 30 saves with a low 2s ERA/low 1.2s WHIP that is drafted before the 10th round.. or another one who will get you say 30 saves but high 3s ERA/ mid/high 1.3s WHIP that you can take late in the draft. they both could have the exact same saves which help in the saves catagory, but the only difference is one has a good ERA/WHIP and one has a not so good ERA/WHIP. how much of an impact is that not so good ERA/WHIP going to have overall? a starting pitcher with a higher ERA/WHIP is going to have a bigger impact on your overall team ERA/WHIP because there are alot more innings coming from that pitcher.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers