2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby horatio » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:19 pm

There's a place specifically for that, you know.

yes of course I'm aware of that - enough from me here, this thread is about closers and if some "game commentary" related to hot seat closers occurs I'm not going to get too upset about it, the back and forth bickering that I've seen in here needs to go though, including mine I'm sure.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skins Fanatic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Gonzo potential short leash in Atlanta

Speaking as a Braves fan who watches all of our games and reads the main blog every day (Talking Chop if you're interested), Gonzo's leash is actually about as long as it gets. Soriano has pitched great, yes, but as many have mentioned before it's just as important to have a great set-up man as it is to have a great closer (possibly even more important, because you're free to put him in in other high leverage situations).

It's not just that though. One of the only knocks on Bobby over the years has been his extreme loyalty to his players. While he did pull the trigger on Blaine Boyer (admittedly a year later than most of us wanted - that guy is terrible), he tends to stick with guys in the bullpen a lot longer than he should. I would imagine it would take an entire month of disastrous outings for Gonzalez to get pulled from the closer slot, though it is possible that a committee could be used of Gonzo/Soriano/Moylan if he struggled.

Besides, how intimidating is that sway on the mound? He looks downright crazy doing it, as if he'd kill you if you got a hit and blew his save.
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:39 pm

mkultra wrote:Glad to see the "No Game Commentary" part of this thread is holding up :-t %-6 :-P :-t %-6 :-P

There's a big difference between a (pointless) post like:

"Oh sh** BJ Ryan just blew the save! I wish i had Scott Downs OMG! I just traded K-rod for Shields last week and now I have no closers! Oh well at least I picked up Rodney last week in my keeper league! Btw the Blue Jays retro uniforms are super cool."

and this post:
willy t 4 mvp wrote: Seems like Mock might have caught an unlucky break. He came in and faced one batter to end the 8th (WAS with a 3-2 lead) and then might have been left out there for the 9th, but WAS rallied and loaded the bases forcing the team to pinch-hit for Mock in the bottom of the 8th. Of course Hanrahan then came in a locked down the save.

I wasn't watching on TV (just stat tracker) - did the announcers say that Mock might've come out for the 9th? Is this just wishful thinking on my part?

My post may have had some game commentary, but it was directly pertinent to whether or not Mock is actually the closer or the closer-in-waiting for the Nationals. This may technically belong in another thread, but you're really just splitting hairs here with your whining (most likely b/c you have a sad pathetic life with nothing better to do).

Long story short: the readers of this thread learned 10x about the Nationals closing situation from my post than they did from yours. In the future, you'd be doing us all a big favor by keeping quiet unless you have something remotely useful to say about fantasy baseball. There are enough moderators on this board that we don't need your incredible watchdog skills.
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby somantin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:52 pm

i love the losers who are arguing against clogging up this thread, are clogging up the thread with what is a 'good' vs. 'bad' post.

are you that dumb?

the irony.
somantin
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:59 pm

can nobody other than havok make comments regarding what's allowed here and not? seriously way too much clogging up, and some people are getting way too worked up here.

anyways, regarding gonzo, yes his leash is long but there might be times where they need to close out games against RH hitters who are good against LHP where i see them going with soriano. or if they have to face tough lefties in the 8th, they might use gonzo there and close out with soriano.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:01 pm

somantin wrote:i love the losers who are arguing against clogging up this thread, are clogging up the thread with what is a 'good' vs. 'bad' post.

are you that dumb?

the irony.

Somantin you are 100% right and the irony of my post is definitely not lost on me. In order to address this annoying issue, I have created a new thread which will hopefully solve all of our problems.

Check it out: viewtopic.php?t=380051
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

any news on valverde's back? is it worth holding onto letroy (it pains me to do so)?

also, someone just asked stephania bell if paps is hurt and she admitted to hearing rumors but said that's all they are at this point. i haven't heard anything on that front and i live in boston. has anyone here?
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Pedros Little Friend wrote:any news on valverde's back? is it worth holding onto letroy (it pains me to do so)?

Also, someone just asked stephania bell if paps is hurt and she admitted to hearing rumors but said that's all they are at this point. i haven't heard anything on that front and i live in boston. has anyone here?

www.faketeams.com wrote:Jose Valverde - Valverde a 1-2-3 9th inning on 9 pitches in Monday's loss to the Reds. Valverde appears to be back to good health.

Not sure how credible faketeams.com is, but that's the latest I've seen
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shoelessjoetara » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Skins Fanatic wrote:Re: Gonzo potential short leash in Atlanta

Speaking as a Braves fan who watches all of our games and reads the main blog every day (Talking Chop if you're interested), Gonzo's leash is actually about as long as it gets. Soriano has pitched great, yes, but as many have mentioned before it's just as important to have a great set-up man as it is to have a great closer (possibly even more important, because you're free to put him in in other high leverage situations).

It's not just that though. One of the only knocks on Bobby over the years has been his extreme loyalty to his players. While he did pull the trigger on Blaine Boyer (admittedly a year later than most of us wanted - that guy is terrible), he tends to stick with guys in the bullpen a lot longer than he should. I would imagine it would take an entire month of disastrous outings for Gonzalez to get pulled from the closer slot, though it is possible that a committee could be used of Gonzo/Soriano/Moylan if he struggled.

Besides, how intimidating is that sway on the mound? He looks downright crazy doing it, as if he'd kill you if you got a hit and blew his save.

I couldn't agree more. I have been a Braves fan for about 25 -30 yrs now and this is what kind of made me go with Gonzo. Bobby Cox is sort of like Jimmy Leyland in that he is loyal to his players and just wants results. It doesn't matter how bad he looks getting the save as long as he gets it done. Yes he did blow a save but Cox loves Gonzo. I agree that he has a longer leash than most people think.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RRGL1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Pedros Little Friend wrote:also, someone just asked stephania bell if paps is hurt and she admitted to hearing rumors but said that's all they are at this point. i haven't heard anything on that front and i live in boston. has anyone here?

Short answer is that the rumor is false.

Early last week in Bill Simmons' podcast, Simmons casually told his guest about his friend's theory that Papelbon *must* be injured because he wasn't throwing his slider, only fastballs; to which Simmon's friend predicted Papelbon to hit the DL within 2 or 3 weeks. Simmons wasn't worried about Papelbon himself. The next day in one of ESPN's daily fantasy chats, some confused individual basically asked a question that made it sound like Simmons had claimed that Papelbon was DL bound...of course the ESPN chatter hadn't heard the podcast and kind of ran with the rumor and put out his thoughts on who the replacement closer would be....thus the rumor grew and pretty much the same question has been asked in each of the daily ESPN fantasy chats since and the rumor apparently continues to grows in the land of ESPN fantasy chats (although yesterday Berry did indirectly point out that the rumor was misguided).
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers