2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Maris09 wrote:Looks like it's official.

Sat, Apr 18

Rockies manager Clint Hurdle said before Friday night's game that Corpas will be the closer, the Associated Press reports.

Recommendation: This came after a string of bad outings by Huston Street. The Rockies blew a lead in the seventh inning on Friday night before Corpas had a chance to get into the game.

(Rotowire.com)

Great news
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Halo Homers wrote:
Millhouse wrote:Not that Hanny, well, sucks arse.....Beimel? Saul Rivera?

This is like picking a beauty contest between two ugly sisters. I think Beimel would be next just based on how he's pitched so far.

Neither guy is a closer material long term however. I would not call either a power pitcher, and both BB way too many.

ANy other thoughts on this. I think Hanrahan's days are numbered.

He is not consistent enough with his location which leads to him aiming the pitch and less velocity and therefore big innings for batters. I don't and never did think he was ready for the closer's job but he does have closer stuff when he's on. Still, I predicted a long time ago that Street would be on the Nationals this year in a trade and that is looking more likely with Street recently being stripped of the gig in Colorado. You gotta think he's not happy with the situation and Washington does have some pieces to move to get imo.

Internally, I think Rivera would be the most trusted reliever to take since Jesus Colome is not eligible to be called up till May (stupid roster managment by Bowden) but the Nationals manager is a big fan of Colome. So, if Hanrahan is replaced I think Rivera is next in the short-term temporary role with Colome as the lackluster closer in waiting in May if Han is indeed unseated. Still, the Street to Wasinhton idea makes a lot of sense to me.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby metsfan12 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:
Millhouse wrote:Not that Hanny, well, sucks arse.....Beimel? Saul Rivera?

This is like picking a beauty contest between two ugly sisters. I think Beimel would be next just based on how he's pitched so far.

Neither guy is a closer material long term however. I would not call either a power pitcher, and both BB way too many.

He is not consistent enough with his location which leads to him aiming the pitch and less velocity and therefore big innings for batters. I don't and never did think he was ready for the closer's job but he does have closer stuff when he's on. Still, I predicted a long time ago that Street would be on the Nationals this year in a trade and that is looking more likely with Street recently being stripped of the gig in Colorado. You gotta think he's not happy with the situation and Washington does have some pieces to move to get imo.

Internally, I think Rivera would be the most trusted reliever to take since Jesus Colome is not eligible to be called up till May (stupid roster managment by Bowden) but the Nationals manager is a big fan of Colome. So, if Hanrahan is replaced I think Rivera is next in the short-term temporary role with Colome as the lackluster closer in waiting in May if Han is indeed unseated. Still, the Street to Wasinhton idea makes a lot of sense to me.

Doesn't Street have a one year contract? Why would Washington want to give anything up or pay a decent part of Street's 4M when they have no chance of winning anything this year? Seems like getting a veteran closer than they likely wouldn't resign is the least of their worries. I think it is more likely Street ends up with the Cards or Tigers or some other team that is still in the hunt after the all-star game.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:

Doesn't Street have a one year contract? Why would Washington want to give anything up or pay a decent part of Street's 4M when they have no chance of winning anything this year? Seems like getting a veteran closer than they likely wouldn't resign is the least of their worries. I think it is more likely Street ends up with the Cards or Tigers or some other team that is still in the hunt after the all-star game.

No, Street is only arbitration eligibile and he'll be expensive but he's not a free agent after this year. Also, it might be the perfect time to buy low on him.

Huston Street Relief Pitcher 2009: $4.5 million, 2010: Arb. Eligible, 2011: Free Agent rotoworld contracts
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Steve-o wrote:
Whalewang wrote:I'm guessing it will be DiFelice who will get the next crack.

Re: Milw closer and Villy pitching in the 7th, I think he is out as interim as well. However, I think it is Coffey who gets the call, not DiFelice. Coffey has not allowed a run since he was added to the Brewers roster last year. Macha has been using him consistently in the high leverage situations. Additionally, he was a closer for Cincy for about 3 weeks, so he has some experience.

That's just my gut feeling, not anything I have read.

As a Reds fan, Coffey did not have the mental fortitude to close in Cincy and I doubt he will in Milwaukee either.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Steve-o wrote:Re: Milw closer and Villy pitching in the 7th, I think he is out as interim as well. However, I think it is Coffey who gets the call, not DiFelice. Coffey has not allowed a run since he was added to the Brewers roster last year. Macha has been using him consistently in the high leverage situations. Additionally, he was a closer for Cincy for about 3 weeks, so he has some experience.

That's just my gut feeling, not anything I have read.

As a Reds fan, Coffey did not have the mental fortitude to close in Cincy and I doubt he will in Milwaukee either.

I admit that Coffey stopped closing in Cincy because he stunk it up - probably because he didn't have the mindset for it. However, I think we all know that relief pitcher's "mental fortitude" changes from year to year, week to week, and even day to day.

Let's look at the game logs from this year:

4/8 - Enters in the 7th with 2 out with bases loaded and Milw up by 2. Retires the batter he faces and completes the 8th.
4/10 - Enters in the 8th Milw down by 1. Retires the side.
4/11 - Enters with two outs in the eight, bases empty, Milw ahead by 1. Retires 1 batter
4/13 - Enters in the 8th Milw down by 1. Retires the side. Allows two baserunners in the 9th. Leaves the game with 2 out and 2 on and Milw still down by 1.
4/15 - Enters in the 9th with Milw up 6. Retires the side
4/17 - Enters in the 7th with two out and bases loaded and the game tied. Leaves in the 8th after getting 4 outs with the game still tied.

Everyone of those games but one is a high leverage situation imo. It seems like his "mental fortitude" has been fine this year.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jcde7ago » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:33 am

Ugh, extremely PO'd that I didn't see the news about Corpas earlier...he got dropped in my keeper league earlier this week, but I had just finished using my last pickup for the week...kicking myself cause I know he won't last until Monday :~(
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:38 am

Seems like Hanrahan is still the guy for now...

Found this on the 'Nationals Journal' website from the Washington Post. Basically Chico Harlan (the Nationals reporter) says this...
1.) Hanrahan remains the team's closer. Manny Acta said so. Rizzo said so. This makes sense only because Washington really has no backup plan. Sure, you could try Tavarez, but he took the loss today. You could try Beimel, the team's best reliever, but that removes your eighth inning guy, fixing one problem and opening another. Really, the Nats committed to Hanrahan long ago. And they are committed to him for better or worse. If Hanrahan falters, Washington is stuck without a legit contingency plan.

2.) Rizzo called the bullpen a "concern." He elaborates: "Well, yeah, we're blowing a lot of games in the ninth inning. We've played well enough to win four or five games. And yeah, there's a concern in the bullpen. But Hanrahan is our guy. He's got a good arm. He's got good stuff. He's a young closer, and you've got to go through growing pains. But if I looked you in the face and said I'm not concerned about the bullpen -- I can't say that. We've put ourselves in position to win several games here and we haven't done it. But Joel gets the ball tomorrow in the ninth inning with the lead."

3.) Two of the vets I spoke with after this game were both able to talk for three or so minutes without once casting blame on Hanrahan. In fact, Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn found every way to find blame with their own effort -- despite the fact that the lineup scored six runs in the first two innings against Josh Johnson, the erstwhile NL ERA leader. Said Zim: "When we get ahead 6-0, 5-0, we need to kind of step on their throat rather than saying, OK, we're ahead, blah-blah-blah and just kind of try and coast. It's not like we're trying to do that, but we need that killer instinct, I guess."

4.) I've never heard Manny Acta step farther away from the positivism. He (and the rest of the clubhouse) was fairly devastated after this loss. "This is very disappointing and discouraging. It's deflating. There is nothing worse in the game than to be winning for eight innings, do everything right, and then lose it in the ninth. That really just sucks the energy out of everybody. But, you know, he's our closer. He'll bounce back. And we're going to continue to give him the opportunity."
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 am

jcde7ago wrote:Ugh, extremely PO'd that I didn't see the news about Corpas earlier...he got dropped in my keeper league earlier this week, but I had just finished using my last pickup for the week...kicking myself cause I know he won't last until Monday :~(

Stop polluting the thread! Nobody cares about your team.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:53 am

Thanks for the Washington update guys. I have Hanrahan in one of my main leagues, and I'm getting to believe that his days might be numbered.

Havok, if nothing else huge pops up before Friday, would you mind giving us a Washington update in your Weekly Closer Complex article? I found the St. Louis article very instructive and am glad to have Frankin in one of my leagues.

Any other closer situations we should be keeping a close eye on?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers