2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:19 am

clevername wrote:everyone forgets Batista has closed before.

If all Seattle wants is a closer to work while they get Fields ready he's tailor made for the job.

I agree and high profile college closers have actually been okay in making a successful transition to the majors right away. Prior to last year, Chad Cordero and Huston Street were some of the best closers in the league and they barely pitched at all in the minors. Fields is likely their best option and he's ready in terms of polish, poise, and stuff. One question might be starting his ARB clock this early while they aren't going to compete but this might be a step in the right direction if they do close with Fields.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UMTerp29 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am

The Cards situation seems like one to avoid for a few more weeks until this thing shakes out: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa on Sunday officially placed righthander Ryan Franklin squarely "in the mix" for the team's closing vacancy, insisting that in many ways Franklin is the more qualified to take on the job than younger men Chris Perez, Jason Motte and Josh Kinney.
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ChasingDeadFish » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:36 am

UMTerp29 wrote:The Cards situation seems like one to avoid for a few more weeks until this thing shakes out: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa on Sunday officially placed righthander Ryan Franklin squarely "in the mix" for the team's closing vacancy, insisting that in many ways Franklin is the more qualified to take on the job than younger men Chris Perez, Jason Motte and Josh Kinney.

That's a good thing because I have both Perez and Franklin on my roster.I somehow am getting the feeling that Motte will land the job though.just a gut feeling but I hope I'm wrong.
No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda
ChasingDeadFish
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 am

It is LaRussa so I would expect him to keep everyone guessing for at least a couple more weeks. B-)
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby surferguy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

If all Seattle wants is a closer to work while they get Fields ready he's tailor made for the job.

I agree and high profile college closers have actually been okay in making a successful transition to the majors right away. Prior to last year, Chad Cordero and Huston Street were some of the best closers in the league and they barely pitched at all in the minors. Fields is likely their best option and he's ready in terms of polish, poise, and stuff. One question might be starting his ARB clock this early while they aren't going to compete but this might be a step in the right direction if they do close with Fields.

Anyone know what's up with Fields. I checked Seattle's website but there is little mention of Fields. Where is he?
surferguy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 pm

surferguy wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Anyone know what's up with Fields. I checked Seattle's website but there is little mention of Fields. Where is he?

He's done a couple of throwing sessions. He'll likely be sent to minor league camp in the next week or so, and may come back later this spring and get some game action. I'm guessing he'll start the year in AA and will be a mid to late season call up.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby slagbot » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:21 pm

so right now i've got jenks, marmol, percival and gregg. any opinion on whether to drop gregg for balfour or should i stand pat? i have a feeling marmol will be solid (dude was lights out last year, but the setup-to-closer transition could mess with his mind), and i'm worried about percy's health. seems like 6/half-dozen to me, wondering if anyone else has any ideas.
slagbot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:12 pm

slagbot wrote:so right now i've got jenks, marmol, percival and gregg. any opinion on whether to drop gregg for balfour or should i stand pat? i have a feeling marmol will be solid (dude was lights out last year, but the setup-to-closer transition could mess with his mind), and i'm worried about percy's health. seems like 6/half-dozen to me, wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

How confident are you that Balfour is next inline in TB? Or is it Wheeler? Or is it somehow Izzy (it sounds impossible doesn't it)? Or situationally Howell (times when lefties would be up in the 9th)?

As I see it you have 2 closers (jenks and CHC) locked down and an iffy one? Balfour is probably a better option Gregg but you need to be confident that Lou won't do anything crazy with his closers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby The Mighty Men » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 pm

slagbot wrote:so right now i've got jenks, marmol, percival and gregg. any opinion on whether to drop gregg for balfour or should i stand pat? i have a feeling marmol will be solid (dude was lights out last year, but the setup-to-closer transition could mess with his mind), and i'm worried about percy's health. seems like 6/half-dozen to me, wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Do NOT drop Gregg. He could still win the job. Pinella loves Marmol in the setup spot.
The Mighty Men
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Another scoreless inning for Motte (with 2 k's). He is having a very good spring so far...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers