2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby MissingOakley » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:23 am

Re: STL, I think the consensus interpretation reached by folks here of LaRussa's musings is that he's confident in Franklin, yes, but is also simultaneously sees Motte and/or Perez as the future closer(s). So Franklin is the guy to have right now, but it's a situation where there will be movement toward one of the young guys at some point. Unless, perhaps, Franklin is so dominant in his current stint that the plan is altered.
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NittanyLions1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 am

MissingOakley wrote:Re: STL, I think the consensus interpretation reached by folks here of LaRussa's musings is that he's confident in Franklin, yes, but is also simultaneously sees Motte and/or Perez as the future closer(s). So Franklin is the guy to have right now, but it's a situation where there will be movement toward one of the young guys at some point. Unless, perhaps, Franklin is so dominant in his current stint that the plan is altered.

Pretty close imo, but I don't think it's really 'total' confidence in him per say. It's more that he is 'most' confident in him at this point because he has more big league experience than Motte/Perez. Blowing 8 saves of 25 chances doesnt instill great confidence though. Since he doesnt have 'full confidence' in him yet, then why not work towards the pitchers that profile as more longer term options. That said, if he is dominant I'd definitely agree that the plan may go out the window!! That's a big IF though right?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:32 am

NittanyLions1 wrote:
MissingOakley wrote:Re: STL, I think the consensus interpretation reached by folks here of LaRussa's musings is that he's confident in Franklin, yes, but is also simultaneously sees Motte and/or Perez as the future closer(s). So Franklin is the guy to have right now, but it's a situation where there will be movement toward one of the young guys at some point. Unless, perhaps, Franklin is so dominant in his current stint that the plan is altered.

Pretty close imo, but I don't think it's really 'total' confidence in him per say. It's more that he is 'most' confident in him at this point because he has more big league experience than Motte/Perez. Blowing 8 saves of 25 chances doesnt instill great confidence though. Since he doesnt have 'full confidence' in him yet, then why not work towards the pitchers that profile as more longer term options. That said, if he is dominant I'd definitely agree that the plan may go out the window!! That's a big IF though right?

^
That word doesnt belong in the same sentence with Franklin.
He is closing cause TLR does not have a better option right now.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Doc19 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:06 am

Does anyone know what the latest status is on Villanueva as the temporary closer in Milwaukee until Hoffman gets back? Are they thinking of using anyone else since Vill has been a bit shaky to start the season?
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Homoudont » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 am

From ESPN Chats

Red Bird Diner (St. Loueeee): Care to explain the Cards bullpen situation? Who gets the most saves out of Franklin, Perez, and Motte?

SportsNation Brendan Roberts: (11:10 AM ET ) Franklin has looked great, and he really has taken to the role. I saw him the past few days, and he seems to have adjusted to knowing he'll be pitched only one inning and less often than in the setup role. He's even gassing it by people! He's the guy going forward, although I think Perez will get the role at some point this summer. Not soon, though.
Homoudont
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Marmol save, but read too much into it, cause he was warmin up before the Cubs took the lead. And Gregg was up after Marmol put on the first two batter.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby prateem » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 pm

why did mike gonzalez pitch the 8th? did he lose his job to soriano?
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Huston Street out as closer
From insidetherockies.com
A year after losing the role of closer, Manny Corpas has regained the ninth-inning job for the Rockies.

Manager Clint Hurdle announced on Friday that he decided to “back” Huston Street into an earlier role and turn to Corpas to close out leads for the time being.

“We are going to try and find a way to help Huston get his consistency,” said Hurdle. “We are going to back him away from the flame.”

http://www.insidetherockies.com/2009/04/17/corpas-back-as-closer/
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:59 pm

prateem wrote:why did mike gonzalez pitch the 8th? did he lose his job to soriano?

i hope so. rafael soriano has been the better pitcher and gonzo would be better served to get lefties out and set up soriano. soriano has looked lights out and is gaining his velocity back.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby metsfan12 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
prateem wrote:why did mike gonzalez pitch the 8th? did he lose his job to soriano?

i hope so. rafael soriano has been the better pitcher and gonzo would be better served to get lefties out and set up soriano. soriano has looked lights out and is gaining his velocity back.

Before you ask why a guy pitched in a non-save situation look at when he last pitched. I think that makes it pretty clear Gonzo was getting some work in today.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers