2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Just picked up Perez. Gotta figure he will get some opps.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:59 pm

im with you on this one yoda, cant hurt to add him n hope he seizes the opportunity
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Yeah, I was thinking he would get some opps also. Maybe not immediately but I really think they want him (or Motte) longer term as their closer, with Franklin in the 8th. Gotta think Perez probably has the advantage over Motte to get opps right now though right?

EDIT HOLD ON!!!! They are now reporting that JP Walters will start on Friday...which means someone has to go back down before then!!!!!!!!! Who is it gonna be? Most likely Boggs goes (altho he now could be the innings eater) but maybe Motte since he could use time TO LEARN A PITCH OTHER THAN A FASTBALL (I know he has a slider and curve but he doesnt have enough confidence to throw them at tough times imo). Would they really recall Perez just to send him back down in a day...I don't think so

Here's the rototimes report for Perez
Perez recalled by Cards - The Associated Press is reporting that Chris Perez has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis to join the Cardinals.
Our View
It's possible Perez could work his way into the closer mix, but it's also possible be could be sent back down tomorrow when P.J. Walters is called up to make the start.
Last edited by NittanyLions1 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Pick your poison: Motte has one pitch and has been shaky in the early going, Franklin has no stuff but has some experience, Perez is inconsistent but has the most upside. Right now I would probably stick with the upside since it is wide open.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fezzik » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm

kab21 wrote:
fezzik wrote:My understanding is that the injury didn't even happen during a pitch, but rather an AB. He has too much value as a starter IMO, and he's been throwing well in that role all spring.

It's not that it happened while pitching but it's just that it's yet another example of him being extremely injury prone. And as a starter he's going to have to bat which is where he got injured. And what are you going to do 'have him sacrifice every time up even if the bases are empty or loaded'?

Yoda nor myself really get any credit for mentioning it as a possibility since the Cards said that he would go back to the bullpen if he couldn't hold up as a starter.

I meant that the injury seemed more like a small random occurrence than some sort of chronic problem.

I just don't see a move to the pen happening, though in the end you guys may be right. It just seems like a bad move to me. I see the Cards doing something more along the lines of what the Cubs did with Harden last year. They should just monitor him closely. He's a front-of-the-rotation guy and losing a starter of that caliber would be a huge blow. Unless he's truly just falling apart and can't make more than 30 pitches at a time, it doesn't make sense to me to relegate him to the pen.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby NittanyLions1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Yoda wrote:Pick your poison: Motte has one pitch and has been shaky in the early going, Franklin has no stuff but has some experience, Perez is inconsistent but has the most upside. Right now I would probably stick with the upside since it is wide open.

Agreed, if I had to choose, I like Perez's upside here. I already picked him up (after someone dropped him!) and stashed him in my minors after Motte blew up so I'm with you on this one ;-D

Did you see the JP Walters to start Friday report though? What do you make of that?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Street just got replaced by Grilli because he was about to blow the game..do we pick up corpas? Or does Street have a little longer to prove himself? He is just BAD
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Yoda wrote:Just picked up Perez. Gotta figure he will get some opps.

As did I. I love this thread! ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby PriceIsRight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:Street just got replaced by Grilli because he was about to blow the game..do we pick up corpas? Or does Street have a little longer to prove himself? He is just BAD

it was another non-save situation, and street will get another shot assuming he's not hiding an injury. but his leash is getting shorter and shorter.
PriceIsRight
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:13 pm

I've been holding on to Corpas because he is the better pitcher and I figure eventually he'll end up with the job.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers