2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Magnus_CA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 am

TheBambino wrote:Do I grab Franklin now?

I think TLR is watching this thread and laughing at us in his secret lair.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 am

Urban Cohorts wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Could someone please update us on Chris Perez status? Is he worth stashing if you need saves? Is he getting healthy? Will he get a chance to close before July?

Also interested in current thoughts on Chris Perez.

He is 2 of 2 in save chances and his other appearance he went two innings and got the win. He hasnt given up a run in those 4 innings and has 4 Ks. Unfortunately I think he also has 4 BBs in those innings (one each inning). As far as I can see they are happy letting him work on his control, etc. closing games in Memphis for now. That said, if Franklin and/or Motte can't get it done in the next week or two, and he continues to pitch well, I think we see him up here getting chances to close things again. Anyone else have some info/opinions?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 am

Gregg pitched well in the 9th vs the 2-3-4-5 of the Rockies.
I think he got himself a little longer leash with this outing.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 am

silverZ wrote:BJ was throwing 82-86? Are you sure that was his fastball? He was throwing 87-89 when he gave up those 4 runs against the Indians. Either way it's good to see him actually get a save.

It was his fastball. The Twins announcers were kinda laughing when BJ threw an 82 mph high fastball to Morneau.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:55 am

Slow Pitch wrote:
silverZ wrote:BJ was throwing 82-86? Are you sure that was his fastball? He was throwing 87-89 when he gave up those 4 runs against the Indians. Either way it's good to see him actually get a save.

It was his fastball. The Twins announcers were kinda laughing when BJ threw an 82 mph high fastball to Morneau.

I'd be laughing too! And to think I almost dropped Downs! 8-o
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Not sure if it means much but this morning on ESPN Fantasy Focus, Matthew Berry said his 'guy in St. Louis' who follows the Cardinals religiously says the Cards still see Franklin as an 8th inning guy and they eventually want either Perez or Motte to step into the closer role.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bud Light » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:

Guys, c'mon! This thread has been extremely helpful over the past several years because people have been diligent enough to post useful and informative information regarding closers and potential closers. We have 130 pages and not a single closer has lost his job yet...at least I don't think so, but I'll never know because there's 130 pages I would have to check to figure it out.

I don't mean to pick on people here because there are alot of offenders, but this is not the place to post that the Twins announcers were laughing at BJ for his velocity and this is not the place to post that you would be laughing too, or who you almost dropped. It is possible I would like to read those comments in another thread, but please spend 2 seconds before you click submit and ask yourself, "Does this belong in the '2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)'?"
Bud Light
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheBambino » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Does anyone know if it will be downs or ryan tonight?
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:23 pm

as much random crap as there is, i find all the speculation worthwhile. by the time a closer gets his job taken and it gets posted, the backup is long gone.

i care a lot more about the guy who COULD be closer vs. a guy that is a closer
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Bud Light wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:

Guys, c'mon! This thread has been extremely helpful over the past several years because people have been diligent enough to post useful and informative information regarding closers and potential closers. We have 130 pages and not a single closer has lost his job yet...at least I don't think so, but I'll never know because there's 130 pages I would have to check to figure it out.

I don't mean to pick on people here because there are alot of offenders, but this is not the place to post that the Twins announcers were laughing at BJ for his velocity and this is not the place to post that you would be laughing too, or who you almost dropped. It is possible I would like to read those comments in another thread, but please spend 2 seconds before you click submit and ask yourself, "Does this belong in the '2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)'?"

I find this information useful: The fact that Ryan's FB was topping out at 82-86. Unless you're in a bad fantasy league, by the time the official announcement is made that Downs will be closing (or he just starts closing), the pitcher will be long gone. Without info leading up to this, I and others could miss the train. I've had Downs on my team since a few days b/f the season. And since I'm in STL, I could have missed him if it weren't for this thread.

I'll never understand this constant complaining. Keep the info comin' guys! Its appreciated by some of us.

"Does this belong in the '2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)?" I think it belongs b/c I don't want this thread to become useless (or at least unhelpful).
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers