2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby perlick29 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:34 am

racrzeke wrote:Yea it was a non save gave up HR and a double but got a few K's. Lou didnt look too happy though

It's enough already with Gregg. He was a fluke last year, a fluke in spring training, Lou should just make the switch we all expected from the beginning. Marmol is a dominant guy who should be closing out games not watching some guy make a mess after he's done. Reminds me of how Joe Borowksi was with the Indians. It's enough already.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:54 am

perlick29 wrote:
racrzeke wrote:Yea it was a non save gave up HR and a double but got a few K's. Lou didnt look too happy though

It's enough already with Gregg. He was a fluke last year, a fluke in spring training, Lou should just make the switch we all expected from the beginning. Marmol is a dominant guy who should be closing out games not watching some guy make a mess after he's done. Reminds me of how Joe Borowksi was with the Indians. It's enough already.

the thing is, i'm pretty sure lou has been using marmol correctly so far. what makes the 8th different than the 9th? he needs to be using marmol in the most high leverage situations whether that be in the 8th, 9th or even earlier. if the heart of the order comes up in the 8th then marmol should pitch in the 8th. if the bases are loaded in the 7th and lou needs someone to limit the damage, he should bring marmol in. by anointing marmol the lone closer, it makes it harder for lou to deal with fans and media when he needs to use him correctly. he says that there will be opportunities for both pitchers, and thats exactly what he should say because it's the correct way to handle a bullpen.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:03 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
perlick29 wrote:

the thing is, i'm pretty sure lou has been using marmol correctly so far. what makes the 8th different than the 9th? he needs to be using marmol in the most high leverage situations whether that be in the 8th, 9th or even earlier. if the heart of the order comes up in the 8th then marmol should pitch in the 8th. if the bases are loaded in the 7th and lou needs someone to limit the damage, he should bring marmol in. by anointing marmol the lone closer, it makes it harder for lou to deal with fans and media when he needs to use him correctly. he says that there will be opportunities for both pitchers, and thats exactly what he should say because it's the correct way to handle a bullpen.

QFT doesn't even begin to describe how accurate this post is. Unfortunately, since saves became a stat this bull practice has fallen into disuse.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:37 am

perlick29 wrote:

Gregg doesnt pitch well right now. Too much solid contact for a closer. He has to pitch better to keep his job. Still, he had two clean outs before melted. But again Fukudome misjudged the Counsell liner, and pitching carefully to Braun is not a bad idea, if you can strike out Fielder.
All in all, I can see him removed temporarily, if he sucks next time. Colorado and St. Loius coming to town. Wont be easy.

Compairing him to Borowski, is exaggregation. Only Jorge Julio is that bad.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:42 am

Another place besides here to check closer status:

http://www.whosthecloser.com/
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:07 am

chadlincoln wrote:Another place besides here to check closer status:

http://www.whosthecloser.com/

Although your Atlanta, St. Louis and Seattle pecking order are most definitely off and some others could be argued are off as well. On top of that your info, including the save totals, is almost a week old. No competition for Havok's stuff and this thread.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nolanwood » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:31 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:the thing is, i'm pretty sure lou has been using marmol correctly so far. what makes the 8th different than the 9th? he needs to be using marmol in the most high leverage situations whether that be in the 8th, 9th or even earlier. if the heart of the order comes up in the 8th then marmol should pitch in the 8th. if the bases are loaded in the 7th and lou needs someone to limit the damage, he should bring marmol in. by anointing marmol the lone closer, it makes it harder for lou to deal with fans and media when he needs to use him correctly. he says that there will be opportunities for both pitchers, and thats exactly what he should say because it's the correct way to handle a bullpen.

;-D :-)

Exactly! As a Cub fan, I'd rather see Heilman/Shark/etc replace Gregg if he gets pulled.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:46 am

Could someone please update us on Chris Perez status? Is he worth stashing if you need saves? Is he getting healthy? Will he get a chance to close before July?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:14 am

nolanwood wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:the thing is, i'm pretty sure lou has been using marmol correctly so far. what makes the 8th different than the 9th? he needs to be using marmol in the most high leverage situations whether that be in the 8th, 9th or even earlier. if the heart of the order comes up in the 8th then marmol should pitch in the 8th. if the bases are loaded in the 7th and lou needs someone to limit the damage, he should bring marmol in. by anointing marmol the lone closer, it makes it harder for lou to deal with fans and media when he needs to use him correctly. he says that there will be opportunities for both pitchers, and thats exactly what he should say because it's the correct way to handle a bullpen.

;-D :-)

Exactly! As a Cub fan, I'd rather see Heilman/Shark/etc replace Gregg if he gets pulled.

From a Mets fan, you don't want Heilman doing anything important.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:42 am

While this is probably true, it doesn't work like this in baseball. The "best" relievers are given the closer role for a couple of reasons. One, they have proven themselves to be their team's most trusted finisher. While I agree one inning/situation is as important as another, you still need to anoint one person to be relied on to finish every game. It's as important for the team's psyche as it is for the game's outcome.

Two, there are rewards for being the team's bull. With the added pressure, the closer is given the most recognition plus monetary benefits. Most relief pitchers covet this and it's well known how Marmol feels about it.

I don't know the pulse of Chicago's fans/media, but I expect they'd prefer to see Marmol in the closer role rather than going with someone else who seems to struggle one too many times in the 9th.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers