2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 pm

FYI Franklin was warming today in case Lohse lost his 3-0 shutout...not that it means much but
Last edited by NittanyLions1 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CraigMasbruch » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Aardsma's 2nd save opp...is this anything?
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:51 pm

CraigMasbruch wrote:Aardsma's 2nd save opp...is this anything?

Morrow threw 27 piches yesterday & 16 on Thursday would be my guess as to why Morrow was not out there today.
Also, Mike Gonzalez pitched Friday & Saturday which was why Soriano was in there today.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jsphlly » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:06 pm

jsphlly wrote:
Soriano opened last season as the closer, but Gonzalez was on the DL. Soriano more or less lost his job to injury last season, but Gonzalez did well in the second half and coupled with his success as a closer in Pittsburgh, earned the opening day gig this season. That being said, this is a perfect situation for "co-closers", with Soriano being RH and Gonzo being LH. I would not be surprised, if healthy, to see them both get save opps going forward.

Kearns - RH, Willingham - RH and Bard - S
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mr. Cannon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:14 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
CraigMasbruch wrote:Aardsma's 2nd save opp...is this anything?

Morrow threw 27 piches yesterday & 16 on Thursday would be my guess as to why Morrow was not out there today.
Also, Mike Gonzalez pitched Friday & Saturday which was why Soriano was in there today.

They will be cautious about putting him out there consecutive days early on. He didn't get a lot of spring training and only a few innings as a closer so they will be really trying to protect him early in the season.
Mr. Cannon
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby floyd1313 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Don't think anyone has brought up the fact that Street got rocked today...2 runs and the loss. Corpas gave up two runs before him to allow Philly to tie the game. I guess it's a wash and Street is still completely safe as closer. Thoughts?
floyd1313
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:16 pm

floyd1313 wrote:Don't think anyone has brought up the fact that Street got rocked today...2 runs and the loss. Corpas gave up two runs before him to allow Philly to tie the game. I guess it's a wash and Street is still completely safe as closer. Thoughts?

I think if Corpas had a clean inning more would have been made of Street getting rocked so it's a wash so to speak. It's in Colorado's best interest to get his value as high as possible then trade him off.Just my opinion but barring a complete meltdown I think Street will be the closer.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Gregg wont last long if he keeps this up.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby racrzeke » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:38 pm

Yea it was a non save gave up HR and a double but got a few K's. Lou didnt look too happy though
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Havoc,

I really think its time to put Saito next in line for BOS. I understand that you are waiting for him to prove his health, but then why do you put Zumaya, Ray, and Soriano in there?

He's the only other guy in the BOS pen that has experience closing and he did very well doing it. I truly believe he's next in line and may in fact get a save op today given that Paps threw nearly 40 pitches yesterday. ;-D

Why? He's only pitched 1 inning and gave up a HR to Longoria. Why does he deserve to be added? To me, he has yet to prove his health and effectiveness. The reason Ray, Zumaya, & Soriano are listed on the closer front page is because of a lack of depth on their teams. Also, Ray and Zumaya clearly have the best arms on their teams. Boston has a lot of quality relievers aside from Saito and they're not going to Saito (again with only 1 IP). I'm not saying he won't become 2nd in line for the future but he's clearly not as of right now and he has a few guys obviously ahead of him in the pecking order.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers