2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:37 am

Cards07Champs wrote:
NittanyLions1 wrote:
Love the analysis here, but a question? If McClellan is so great at getting out of jams then wouldnt it make more sense to let him do that and let someone else start off the 9th with no one on base to close the game. In actuality McClellan could be more valuable doing this job and saving the game at this point than closing things out right? If I am the Cards I look at using McClellan to do the 'get out of jams' thing again, and then use Franklin (though I don't think he's really what they need there in the end) and/or Perez (since he's being groomed, has the stuff, and didnt do a terrible job last year why not?) to close things out. Interested in your thoughts, thanks!

There's a gambling axiom that says "you bet the game, you don't coach it".

You're coaching the game here. Sure, maybe McClellan is better used as a jam righty in the 7th. However, we didn't have Josh Kinney last year due to arm surgery and with his stuff and his ability to use that nasty slider against lefties, he's a great jam option. He's a poor closer option in that we don't know if his arm can hold up to the stress that slider puts on his shoulder. So I'd imagine Kinney will be the jam righty all season.

But whether or not McClellan is better suited for that jam role is immaterial, that's not how LaRussa has ever functioned. He's always been a guy that's used his hammer in the 9th. My point was that, if LaRussa was comfortable enough using McClellan as a jam pitcher last season, it means he's also comfortable enough using him as a closer.

As for Perez, he got extremely tentative when men got on in the 9th last year. He had a tendency to nibble pretty badly when things got squirrely. Additionally, he's bouncing back and forth between a curveball and a slider. He was asked to throw a curveball in the minors to ease the strain on his shoulder due to his max effort mechanics. The curve didn't so much come, so he's being asked to go back to the slider. My problem with Perez is that his mechanics are inconsistent as hell. His foot never seems to land in the same place more than once. I really don't see him being a great closer because he can't get his command under control until his mechanics come. 3 seasons in the minors and the mechanics still aren't there.

Perez and Motte have the same 'stink' in TLR's eyes, they're young. If LaRussa can't get comfortable with Motte, I don't see him suddenly becoming comfortable with Perez.

My money's still on McClellan keeping it or Motte getting it back after some confidence building in the mid-innings.

Hmmm...you're making some very good points here. If Kinney does the jam thing well than why not have McClellan close things out. Now the question is how do I make room for him on my roster :-D . Thanks for your response!
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mr. T » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Out of all the options the Cardinals have I think McClellan would be the best. They need Reyes as a lefty to come out of the pen, and well there really isn't anyone else. Motte isn't ready, Franklin admitted he doesn't like closing and proved it last year with 8 blown saves, Perez just didn't impress me last year, and he lost his spot to Motte this spring if that tells you something. I know he had a shoulder problem, but he was going to lose it anyway. Motte had a great spring, but the guys he was facing in the spring aren't even big league hitters. Very few big league starters are still in the game in the 9th inn. of a ST game. I would'nt be suprised to see a CBC with Larussa and his match ups, but if not as a Redbird fan i'd say McClellan would be the best bet for now.
Mr. T
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Has Motte already pitched himself out of the closers role now, making him useless? Chris Perez is still the favorite to win that role once he comes back, correct?

This thread moves too fast, heh..
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Houser33 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:37 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Has Motte already pitched himself out of the closers role now, making him useless? Chris Perez is still the favorite to win that role once he comes back, correct?

Based on what I've read from Cardinals fans I'd say the %'s are something like this:

McClellan: 50%
Reyes: 10%
Motte: 20%
Franklin + Perez: 20%

In reality though, the only guy who knows how this will transpire is LaRussa.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Houser33 wrote:
slagbot wrote:yeah i figured street was just in there to get some work in, but it wasn't good to see him put the first four guys on base. still wondering how long his leash will be if corpas keeps up his st numbers.

Even if Corpas continues to dominate it is going to take a massive collapse for Street to be demoted. Unless your the Yanks or Sox, you dont pay someone $4.5M to be a set-up man.

On a side note, a good rule of thumb is to completely ignore closers stats when pitching in non-save situations.

Too bad fantasy leagues don't follow that rule of thumb ;-7
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Houser33 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Has Motte already pitched himself out of the closers role now, making him useless? Chris Perez is still the favorite to win that role once he comes back, correct?

Based on what I've read from Cardinals fans I'd say the %'s are something like this:

McClellan: 50%
Reyes: 10%
Motte: 20%
Franklin + Perez: 20%

In reality though, the only guy who knows how this will transpire is LaRussa.

when Perez comes up IMO
McClellan: 20%
Reyes: 0%
Motte: 50%
Franklin 5%
Perez: 25%
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Any news on the Marmol/gregg situation? I picked Marmol up after someone dropped him and dying to see if he has the job now. I'm guessing there has been no decision for now and Lou is just going to pick who he wants out there?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby djxskillz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:19 pm

soriano in to close over gonzalez?!?!?
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:28 pm

probably not but they should make that change. gonzo hasn't shown velocity all spring and his control is off. soriano has been the better pitcher and gonzo should really be used to get lefties out.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CharlatanSin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:32 pm

djxskillz wrote:soriano in to close over gonzalez?!?!?

Gonzo pitched yesterday and looked good. I assume (hope) that he's just getting a rest...There's been no indication that he's not the guy in ATL, unless I'm missing something.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers