2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:20 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I know Vill is a temporary guy anyway, but might MIL platoon their closer job if he messes up too much? Or will they just ride his crazy bus till Hoffman's back?

I think Villanueva can get the job done, that was silly though..he through a first pitch meatball to a guy that loves hitting bombs on the first pitch. Villa has SP eligibility which makes him pretty awesome..so I'm hoping he can hold on to the job.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Houser33 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:26 pm

slagbot wrote:yeah i figured street was just in there to get some work in, but it wasn't good to see him put the first four guys on base. still wondering how long his leash will be if corpas keeps up his st numbers.

Even if Corpas continues to dominate it is going to take a massive collapse for Street to be demoted. Unless your the Yanks or Sox, you dont pay someone $4.5M to be a set-up man.

On a side note, a good rule of thumb is to completely ignore closers stats when pitching in non-save situations.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Houser33 wrote:.....On a side note, a good rule of thumb is to completely ignore closers stats when pitching in non-save situations.

Truth
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:43 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say B.J. Ryan should probably be downgraded from "Rock Solid"...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Steve-o » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:13 am

dragoon wrote:
StarsNPinstripes wrote:Trevor Hoffman Update:
From Rotoworld:
Apr. 11 - 7:23 pm et
Trevor Hoffman (oblique) played catch from 120 feet Saturday without incident.

Hoffman is expected to get on a mound Wednesday for a bullpen session. He'll throw a couple of those, a simulated game or two, then comes the rehab assignment. "He's definitely going to pitch somewhere, there's no doubt about that," manager Ken Macha said. "There will be a rehab assignment, yeah."

Any idea when he should be expected to pitch in the majors?

Brewers beat writer Adam McCalvy wrote:Hoffman, out since March 13 because of a strained muscle along his rib cage, threw from 120 feet with head athletic trainer Roger Caplinger prior to Game 2 of a Brewers-Cubs series at Miller Park ... He still faces a number of steps before appearing for the Brewers in a game and might not be back until the final week of April even in the best-case scenario...
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:05 am

Not quite 'Gregg is still the closer' - but certainly a bit of cold water on the Marmol owners.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gamecenter ... 12_CHC@MIL

"He came in and did a heck of a job," Piniella said of Marmol before quickly diffusing any controversy of him supplanting Gregg as the closer. "I said when the season started that there would be opportunities for both of them. (Sunday) if we get in a similar situation, Gregg will be in there."

Dammit! :-C
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 am

BJSFAN123 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:I know Vill is a temporary guy anyway, but might MIL platoon their closer job if he messes up too much? Or will they just ride his crazy bus till Hoffman's back?

I think Villanueva can get the job done, that was silly though..he through a first pitch meatball to a guy that loves hitting bombs on the first pitch. Villa has SP eligibility which makes him pretty awesome..so I'm hoping he can hold on to the job.

Plus, who else would they use? It's not like Seth McLung has looked good.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:27 am

Cito Gaston Expresses Confidence in BJ Ryan

CLEVELAND – B.J. Ryan's ERA is sky-high and he's been awful in two appearances so far this season, but Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston is not about to relieve him of the closer's role.

"I'll run him out there again, I'll run him out there as many times as you can," Gaston said after Ryan allowed three runs in the ninth inning yesterday to come alarmingly close to blowing a game the Jays won 5-4 over Cleveland. "If it starts to hurt the team, you do something differently."

I heard radio interviews in the clubhouse with some of the guys and they all said that Ryan is just 2 weeks behind schedule and should still be pitching spring training but give him 2 weeks and he will be in top form again.

The Jays are living on a knife edge right now. Ryan and League have blown up but it hasn't cost them a game yet. It's a really loose clubhouse right now. They feel that the hitting is picking up the pitching right now and later they are confident that the pitching will pick up the hitting. Cito's doing a great job. ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby Cards07Champs » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 am

NittanyLions1 wrote:
Love the analysis here, but a question? If McClellan is so great at getting out of jams then wouldnt it make more sense to let him do that and let someone else start off the 9th with no one on base to close the game. In actuality McClellan could be more valuable doing this job and saving the game at this point than closing things out right? If I am the Cards I look at using McClellan to do the 'get out of jams' thing again, and then use Franklin (though I don't think he's really what they need there in the end) and/or Perez (since he's being groomed, has the stuff, and didnt do a terrible job last year why not?) to close things out. Interested in your thoughts, thanks!

There's a gambling axiom that says "you bet the game, you don't coach it".

You're coaching the game here. Sure, maybe McClellan is better used as a jam righty in the 7th. However, we didn't have Josh Kinney last year due to arm surgery and with his stuff and his ability to use that nasty slider against lefties, he's a great jam option. He's a poor closer option in that we don't know if his arm can hold up to the stress that slider puts on his shoulder. So I'd imagine Kinney will be the jam righty all season.

But whether or not McClellan is better suited for that jam role is immaterial, that's not how LaRussa has ever functioned. He's always been a guy that's used his hammer in the 9th. My point was that, if LaRussa was comfortable enough using McClellan as a jam pitcher last season, it means he's also comfortable enough using him as a closer.

As for Perez, he got extremely tentative when men got on in the 9th last year. He had a tendency to nibble pretty badly when things got squirrely. Additionally, he's bouncing back and forth between a curveball and a slider. He was asked to throw a curveball in the minors to ease the strain on his shoulder due to his max effort mechanics. The curve didn't so much come, so he's being asked to go back to the slider. My problem with Perez is that his mechanics are inconsistent as hell. His foot never seems to land in the same place more than once. I really don't see him being a great closer because he can't get his command under control until his mechanics come. 3 seasons in the minors and the mechanics still aren't there.

Perez and Motte have the same 'stink' in TLR's eyes, they're young. If LaRussa can't get comfortable with Motte, I don't see him suddenly becoming comfortable with Perez.

My money's still on McClellan keeping it or Motte getting it back after some confidence building in the mid-innings.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:36 am

Havoc,

I really think it's time to put Saito next in line for BOS. I understand that you are waiting for him to prove his health, but then why do you put Zumaya, Ray, and Soriano in there?

He's the only other guy in the BOS pen that has experience closing and he did very well doing it. I truly believe he's next in line and may in fact get a save op today given that Paps threw nearly 40 pitches yesterday. ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers