2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Matt Lindstron unavailable tonight
From Rotoworld:
Apr. 11 - 5:48 pm et
Matt Lindstrom will be unavailable vs. the Mets on Saturday night.

Lindstrom blew his first save opportunity of the season on Friday night, throwing 24 pitches. He is still coming back from a strained right rotator cuff, so the Marlins are bringing him along slowly. Look for Leo Nunez to be used if there is a save situation.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dssguy99 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Whi is Brad Zeigler in in the 8th?
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:47 pm

dssguy99 wrote:Whi is Brad Zeigler in in the 8th?

Apprently the A's manager had dreams of him pitching out of a bases loaded 0 outs jam then going back out for 1-2-3 9th. !+)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Papelbon is in trouble!
Whos next in line?? :-o
WHIR!!
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Cabby wrote:From CBS:

Jason Frasor, RP TOR
News: Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan made things interesting Saturday in the ninth by allowing a hit and three walks to give the Indians life. Ryan allowed three earned runs in a non-save chance He was pulled in favor of Jason Frasor, who got the final out of the win and got his first save of the season.
Analysis: Ryan blew a save in his only other opportunity this season, but he managed to get a win in that game. He has allowed four earned runs in two appearances and is off to a slow start, but he is in no immediate danger of losing his job. Fantasy owners should continue to view him as a starting closer in AL-only play and mixed leagues that require two closers. As for Frasor, it is clear to see that he would be first in line for saves if something happens to Ryan.

Don't think their analysis is right at all, Downs is clearly first in line for the closer job if Ryan continues to falter, right?

The are just idiots over there at CBS.

Downs would be the closer. Frasor may be the set up guy. Downs was used in the 8th so they had to go to Frasor or League for the save.

I agree w/ CBS being idiots.This is what they said about McClellan:
The Cardinals rather use McClellan in middle relief situations than at the back-end of the bullpen, so even if Motte is removed from the closer's role, McClellan likely won't be a top candidate to replace him.

I rather read posts from fans like Cards07champs(page 118) who follow their team then some guy throwing darts at a board trying to guess who'll be the next STL closer. I'm not saying everyone should run and grab McClellan but posts like that are useful for those with a roster spot.
Last edited by StarsNPinstripes on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Papelbon is in trouble!
Whos next in line?? :-o
WHIR!!

LOL :-b I'd grab Saito ASAP :-D
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby UNC_terps » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:09 pm

motte pitched in the 6th or 7th inning today. I'm assuming this has meaning behind it.
UNC_terps
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:16 pm

These situations are crazy. Im glad I'm not stuck with these, but playing the lottery for them sure is fun! 8-o
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:In July of last season I called for McClellan as a closer, I was hoping we'd consider it in the offseason again this year (but Carpenter's injury necessitated making McClellan a 6th starter).

As a reliever, McClellan has absolutely filthy stuff. He dials his fastball up around 95, with his 'cruising speed' being about 92 with sink. He has a hammer curve that reminds me of Carpenter's but with a little more roll (still a plus offering, Carp sets a high bar). His changeup has good drop and he'll occasionally fire out a slider or cutter. He has a starter's arsenal that he simply dials up to max effort from the pen.

He emerged as a non-roster invite to become our jam righty last year. He'd get the call when a couple guys got on and we needed someone to put the fire out. Until his stamina wore out (perils of youth), he did so with great aplomb. He has the guts of a burglar out there.

I know folks are worried about the CBC, but I just don't see it. Remember, LaRussa practically invented the modern closer. Additionally, he's seen twice in the last 5 years just how bad a bullpen operates when there is no set closer (2003 and 2007 due to Izzy injuries). He may match up Reyes from time to time, if a bunch of lefties are up. But ultimately I think he's going to keep trying a RHer until he finds one that runs with the job.

Right now McClellan appears to be the first in line and I expect him to grab it with both hands and run with it. I like him FAR more than Nunez. I disagree completely with the above poster. The Cards closer position has always been a good source for saves and the Cards look like they'll put together another strong season this year. Whoever emerges as the closer will be a great bet for saves going forward. In my mind, this is a situation that is worth the speculation (i.e. not the Mariners).

Love the analysis here, but a question? If McClellan is so great at getting out of jams then wouldnt it make more sense to let him do that and let someone else start off the 9th with no one on base to close the game. In actuality McClellan could be more valuable doing this job and saving the game at this point than closing things out right? If I am the Cards I look at using McClellan to do the 'get out of jams' thing again, and then use Franklin (though I don't think he's really what they need there in the end) and/or Perez (since he's being groomed, has the stuff, and didnt do a terrible job last year why not?) to close things out. Interested in your thoughts, thanks!
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Trevor Hoffman Update:
From Rotoworld:
Apr. 11 - 7:23 pm et
Trevor Hoffman (oblique) played catch from 120 feet Saturday without incident.

Hoffman is expected to get on a mound Wednesday for a bullpen session. He'll throw a couple of those, a simulated game or two, then comes the rehab assignment. "He's definitely going to pitch somewhere, there's no doubt about that," manager Ken Macha said. "There will be a rehab assignment, yeah."
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers