2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 pm

hookem2003 wrote:Would it be worth dropping Ryan for Downs at this point? Nothing about this situation suggests that this is just a slump. :-o

You have no choice but to cuff Downs - a one for one drop makes absolutely no sense at this point
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:58 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:From the Cardinals.com Larussa also said...
"That's why closer is one of the things that we tried to work on [during the offseason]," La Russa said. "So what you're seeing is a guy -- and if Chris [Perez] was here, he'd be doing the same thing -- guys that need to work into it. He had an opening-game attempt that didn't work. Yesterday was [difficult]. So that's why I said, 'We'll make sure he gets enough work.' We're very high on both of those guys. But they should be worked in there."

So what does that mean for Perez then...will he be up soon and start 'working in' or are they going to continue to 'work him in' in the minors??

Well, if he's saying that Motte and Perez would be doing the same thing, and Motte is failing miserably, I assume that means he's saying that Perez would be failing miserably as well.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Motte actually had his best piece of 2009 work today (albeit in the SIXTH inning of course)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby quitesanemax » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:15 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:From the Cardinals.com Larussa also said...
"That's why closer is one of the things that we tried to work on [during the offseason]," La Russa said. "So what you're seeing is a guy -- and if Chris [Perez] was here, he'd be doing the same thing -- guys that need to work into it. He had an opening-game attempt that didn't work. Yesterday was [difficult]. So that's why I said, 'We'll make sure he gets enough work.' We're very high on both of those guys. But they should be worked in there."

So what does that mean for Perez then...will he be up soon and start 'working in' or are they going to continue to 'work him in' in the minors??

True to his word, Motte came in for the 6th inning today, and gave up 1 hit, k'd 2... no runs. Not bad... if he could just do that in the 9th! Lol.

So if LaRussa is working him into it, that means he should be the closer sooner or later, right? I'm just trying to decide if I should pick him up... someone just dropped him.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cabby » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:22 pm

From CBS:

Jason Frasor, RP TOR
News: Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan made things interesting Saturday in the ninth by allowing a hit and three walks to give the Indians life. Ryan allowed three earned runs in a non-save chance He was pulled in favor of Jason Frasor, who got the final out of the win and got his first save of the season.
Analysis: Ryan blew a save in his only other opportunity this season, but he managed to get a win in that game. He has allowed four earned runs in two appearances and is off to a slow start, but he is in no immediate danger of losing his job. Fantasy owners should continue to view him as a starting closer in AL-only play and mixed leagues that require two closers. As for Frasor, it is clear to see that he would be first in line for saves if something happens to Ryan.

Don't think their analysis is right at all, Downs is clearly first in line for the closer job if Ryan continues to faulter, right?
Last edited by Cabby on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cabby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Perez is going to be the STL closer for the vast majority of the season IMO.

He will be back up w/i 2 weeks time I am guessing & closing about 10 days after that...all just speculation on my part....
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Cabby wrote:From CBS:

Jason Frasor, RP TOR
News: Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan made things interesting Saturday in the ninth by allowing a hit and three walks to give the Indians life. Ryan allowed three earned runs in a non-save chance He was pulled in favor of Jason Frasor, who got the final out of the win and got his first save of the season.
Analysis: Ryan blew a save in his only other opportunity this season, but he managed to get a win in that game. He has allowed four earned runs in two appearances and is off to a slow start, but he is in no immediate danger of losing his job. Fantasy owners should continue to view him as a starting closer in AL-only play and mixed leagues that require two closers. As for Frasor, it is clear to see that he would be first in line for saves if something happens to Ryan.

Don't think their analysis is right at all, Downs is clearly first in line for the closer job if Ryan continues to falter, right?

The are just idiots over there at CBS.

Downs would be the closer. Frasor may be the set up guy. Downs was used in the 8th so they had to go to Frasor or League for the save.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Can someone explain to me why the Cards would want Motte to 'work on other stuff' in the majors. I mean the guy was a catcher two years ago and has one pitch essentially right? Yes its a good pitch, but alot of major league hitters will, more often than not, be able to hit even a 100 mph fastball if they know they can sit on it (since its his only real quality pitch). Honestly I don't know his situation entirely so that is why I am asking whats up? If I were the Cards I would switch Perez and him as soon as possible. Yes Motte had a great Spring but you don't work on stuff in the majors. Perez is more major league ready than Motte right? By this I mean, beyond a need for a bit more control, he has more than one quality pitch. Any thoughts from those with more knowledge of the situation than me?? Thanks!
Last edited by NittanyLions1 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dssguy99 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Ya, I dont get that STL thing either...last year Chris Perez was the biggest fantasy name for a closer in waiting...then he stepped in and was pretty good...so why is he in the minors now and some bum catcher is pitching? Makes no sense to me.
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:41 pm

dssguy99 wrote:Ya, I dont get that STL thing either...last year Chris Perez was the biggest fantasy name for a closer in waiting...then he stepped in and was pretty good...so why is he in the minors now and some bum catcher is pitching? Makes no sense to me.

he was hurt and rehabbing.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers