2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:15 am

2 questions:

1. if it wasn't for injuries, would soriano be the closer over gonzalez?
2. Would Shields or Arrendando get a shot at closing if fuentes goes down permanently?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:41 am

Havok1517 wrote:
fitz0527 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Mike Gonzalez not looking good. Doesn't look like he has any control of his pitches.

He looked downright bad out there tonight. Granted, Diaz should have caught that ball to wipe away the lead off double but still...Nieves swinging at what would have been ball 4, no control, yuck. Hope he bounces back.

I think he'll be fine. It looks like he's just starting slowly. His velocity and stuff is still there but his location is off and he seemed to be aiming the ball some when he got hit. A slight mechanical tweak might be needed.

It doesn't bother you at all that Gonzalez has a history of spotty (at best) control? Even in his 24 save season with Pitt he was walking 5+ guys per 9.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby jsphlly » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:44 am

Zhangman1 wrote:2 questions:

1. if it wasn't for injuries, would soriano be the closer over gonzalez?
2. Would Shields or Arrendando get a shot at closing if fuentes goes down permanently?

Soriano opened last season as the closer, but Gonzalez was on the DL. Soriano more or less lost his job to injury last season, but Gonzalez did well in the second half and coupled with his success as a closer in Pittsburgh, earned the opening day gig this season. That being said, this is a perfect situation for "co-closers", with Soriano being RH and Gonzo being LH. I would not be surprised, if healthy, to see them both get save opps going forward.

I'm in agreement with Havok's opinion that if Fuentes is out for a short period of time, Shields would get the 9th, but for an extended period of time, Arredendo would be worked in.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:53 am

McClellan was called upon to get the final two outs on Friday night after Jason Motte allowed two hits in the ninth inning, the Associated Press reports.

Recommendation: Don't assume that McClellan is the man now. For starters, he was originally warming up as a side session, having not pitched in four days. Manager Tony La Russa's comments about Motte after the game were somewhat cryptic: "We had McClellan behind him if we needed him. Some day, (Motte) will look at these and he will learn from them. We're not at that point yet. Certainly, when you had a couple of guys on, I thought it was time to go get him."

(Rotowire.com)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Zephyrius » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:11 am

"We had McClellan behind him if we needed him. Some day, (Motte) will look at these and he will learn from them. We're not at that point yet. Certainly, when you had a couple of guys on, I thought it was time to go get him."

Translation: Franklin is my setup man... I'll do whatever the situation is called for to win the game until my head explodes and then I'll call up Perez soon after.
Zephyrius
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 am

Cardinals: Jason Motte got another chance to make good in the ninth with a two-run lead, but Tony La Russa kept him on a short leash and the kid was pulled after allowing two singles to his first three batters. Kyle McClellan, one of the universally ignored options in the Cardinals bullpen, put the fire out, whiffing Kaz Matsui and getting Hunter Pence to ground out (La Russa called McClellan's stuff "nasty"). Who gets the next save in St. Louis, Todd Worrell? It's a full-blown committee, friends.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Mr. T » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 am

I have been a die hard Redbird fan for years, and I can tell you that I wouldn't touch a Cardinal closer this year unless I was completly out of options, or if they make a trade. Even if they bring up Perez. Perez may be a good closer some day, but he is not ready to be a big league closer yet. He got hit hard last year, and will get hit hard again this year. Perez and Motte both need to get some 7TH and 8TH inning time in before they close out anymore games. Very few rookies can step right in and become a good big league closer. I think that we will blow a bunch of save chances again this year, and it will be anyones guess who it will be night to night.
Mr. T
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cards07Champs » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:26 pm

In July of last season I called for McClellan as a closer, I was hoping we'd consider it in the offseason again this year (but Carpenter's injury necessitated making McClellan a 6th starter).

As a reliever, McClellan has absolutely filthy stuff. He dials his fastball up around 95, with his 'cruising speed' being about 92 with sink. He has a hammer curve that reminds me of Carpenter's but with a little more roll (still a plus offering, Carp sets a high bar). His changeup has good drop and he'll occasionally fire out a slider or cutter. He has a starter's arsenal that he simply dials up to max effort from the pen.

He emerged as a non-roster invite to become our jam righty last year. He'd get the call when a couple guys got on and we needed someone to put the fire out. Until his stamina wore out (perils of youth), he did so with great aplomb. He has the guts of a burglar out there.

I know folks are worried about the CBC, but I just don't see it. Remember, LaRussa practically invented the modern closer. Additionally, he's seen twice in the last 5 years just how bad a bullpen operates when there is no set closer (2003 and 2007 due to Izzy injuries). He may match up Reyes from time to time, if a bunch of lefties are up. But ultimately I think he's going to keep trying a RHer until he finds one that runs with the job.

Right now McClellan appears to be the first in line and I expect him to grab it with both hands and run with it. I like him FAR more than Nunez. I disagree completely with the above poster. The Cards closer position has always been a good source for saves and the Cards look like they'll put together another strong season this year. Whoever emerges as the closer will be a great bet for saves going forward. In my mind, this is a situation that is worth the speculation (i.e. not the Mariners).
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tiggis » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:56 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:aardsma just picked up a 2 inning save for the Ms

Morrow was not available
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:The only thing Gregg was responsible, that he walked Duffy, and Hart. But he didnt have his curveball, still he pitched well enough to get the save.
Defense let him down.

Yes, the only thing he was responsible for was walking a speedy hitter ahead of a power hitter, and then doing it again. :-t Almost every single pitch he missed low, low, low, and he bounced it twice. 4 hits, 3 walks, 3 ER in his first 2 innings as a Cub doesn't impress me much. Not absolving the Cubs defense but Gregg was far from good, or even solid; even if you assume that all four hits he allowed were because of poor defense, he still walked three guys.

I see your point.
1. good closers never walk speedy hitters infront of power hitters. (Rickie Weeks???)
2. good closers dont need good defense
3. good closers have all of thier pitches workin all the time

BTW Gregg had an IBB, so that 3 is only 2, when he didnt have the curve.
2 of the 4 hits were bad fielding.
Still its not good, but he will have all his pitches workin, than hitters cant sit on the fastball, and the result will be less walks and hits. Even the ones caused by bad D.
And the 3 Earned Runs could be just as easily 0 ER.

And on a final note: if you miss, you better miss low.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers